The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are there any mechanisms for human males to avoid cuckoldry?  (Read 3445 times)

Stan Woods

Stan Woods  asked the Naked Scientists:

RE:  The episode dated 09/09/20 about cuckoos and other animals with cuckoo-like behaviour. 

While humans don't have anything approaching the strategies of other animals in this regard, I was wondering if you could give a quick little addendum in a future show speaking to the following:  I know that studies have been done which show that human infants, up until I believe, the age of 9 months or so, resemble the biological father; presumably to reassure the father that the child is his and therefore he will be more willing to provide for the care and safety of the child. 

Do biologists know of, or have any substantiated theories of, other strategies employed by humans to protect males against interlopers and ensure that he is the only one fathering offspring with his mate (other than locking her away or staying by her side 24/7)?

Thanks for the interesting and informative shows,
keep up the great work,
Stan Woods,
Burbank, California, USA

What do you think?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Are there any mechanisms for human males to avoid cuckoldry?
« Reply #1 on: 18/10/2009 22:09:33 »
mMM, good question. I'm not sure. I think I need to look into this. As far as I know though, men are frequently (relatively speaking) victims of rearing another man's offspring...

Chris

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/10/2009 00:10:47 »
There are mechanisms. You'll find some here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chastity_belt

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/10/2009 00:13:50 »
i'd say the feeling of suspicion, and those of love, curiosity, loyalty, value of chastity, shame (of both the woman and man), aggression and sexual morality exist in part for this reason. of course, society you are in influences the development and extent of  feelings, but it seems likely that there is some biological basis for them. using pure evolutionary arguments to explain or understand human behaviour is a bit dangerous, though, as any evolutionary argument for behaviour is unfalsifiable. not to be a jerk or anything, but we do have strategies, and complicated ones: they just happen to be social, feel normal for us. animals displays are different and probably less complicated overall. if you looked as an alien at humans you would think that our mating system was perhaps more complex because you would be so used to your own.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/10/2009 04:02:12 »
Harem guarded by eunuchs.

Those guards have to lose some weight for that job : two stones to be precise.  :)
« Last Edit: 19/10/2009 05:29:54 by RD »

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #5 on: 19/10/2009 06:08:55 »
Some humans have found a tool to assure the father that he's raising his own kin. It's called a Paternity Test

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 19/10/2009 06:08:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums