The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Are Humans Allergic To Nuts ?  (Read 5023 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Are Humans Allergic To Nuts ?
« on: 13/10/2009 21:58:03 »
Dearest Kernel Nutologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff nuts !..There's nothing I like more  to start the day than to allow everyone to share my nuts !

As ewe of course know...nuts come in two varieties :

Small Ones :

Small Nuts Earlier This Evening !

and Big Ones

Big Nuts !

Someone told me that some peeps are like.... well allergic to nuts !..that's a shame because nuts are great !

How come are people allergic to nuts ?..and why do nuts seem to be prevelated (new word ?)particularly  with some notoriety regarding allergy badness ?
What is it about nuts ? Are Animals also allergic to nuts to the same degree ?

As a firm believer in empirical study I waltzed into my local nunnery at 3am this morning. I happen to know that they are all chaste & virtuous so, it's natural to conclude that they will be allergic to my nuts.  I rang the bell and called out thusly " oh yay oh yay !!..come hither and partake of my nuts !...place them in your mouth and taste the seed "...Well !!...I was shocked I can tell ewe  :o :o !!!....because they all rushed out and did just that !...and not one of them was allergic !....so..no luck there !!

Can ewe help me understand the nature of allergy to nuts ?

hugs & shmsihes

mwah mwah mwah !!

neil
I'm A Nut !
xxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 13/10/2009 23:54:54 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15/10/2009 21:29:12 »
Is there no answer to the nature of nut allergy ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/11/2009 17:35:44 »
As a bioanalytical research scientist, I think that allergies to proteins make the most sense.  Proteins can be very organism-specific, and our immune systems would want to react to foreign proteins because they would indicate foreign organisms.  Allergies to sugars makes little sense (in fact some bacteria produce coatings of sugars as a cloaking device so they can invade us without getting caught).  Allergies to fats make a little more sense than sugars. 

Let’s look at the proteins of some common nuts.  Here are protein amounts for 400 calorie servings for these nuts

Prot(g)   Nut                             
18.2      Peanuts
14.8      Pistachios
14.7      Almonds
10.7      Cashews
10.2      Brazil nuts
  9.5      Hazelnuts (filberts)
  9.3      Walnuts (English)
  5.3      Pecans   
  4.4      Macadamia nuts
  3.8      Coconut meat    
  3.2      Chestnuts

This makes a little sense.  Peanut allergies are very common, and peanuts top this list.  I have hazelnut and walnut allergies, in the middle of the list.  Never heard of anyone having chestnut allergies at the bottom of the list.  However, this list does not consider the kinds of proteins that each nut contains.

Digging into the Internet for some supporting data, I find:

It is the binding of the protein to IgE (Immunoglobulin E) that can trigger severe reactions in sensitized individuals. … Xiu-Min Li, MD from Mt. Sinai developed “genetically engineered” peanut proteins that no longer bind IgE … There has been work on a peanut vaccine, which has yet to be approved by the FDA.
http://www.allergicchild.com/peanut_allergy.htm

In biology, Immunoglobulin E (IgE) is a class of antibody (or immunoglobulin “isotype”) that has only been found in mammals. It plays an important role in allergy, and is especially associated with type 1 hypersensitivity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immunoglobulin_E

Only a month (and a bit) overdue in thanking ewe DiscoverDave for this wonderful answer. I really do appreciate the time ewe took to help here.

Offline chirsty7386

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/11/2009 22:27:18 »
good information some of the people dont know about the reason for allergic to nuts . your post explain detail  thanx for posting
newbielink:http://www.innerbody.com/image/endoov.html [nonactive]

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 01/12/2009 17:31:23 »
I went into a health food shop the other day and bought some nuts. I paid at the counter and as I was exiting the door the assistant said, "Your nuts". I replied, "So are you", and continued walking out. She replied, "You've forgotten your bag, sir".

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 01/12/2009 18:06:31 »
I went into a health food shop the other day and bought some nuts. I paid at the counter and as I was exiting the door the assistant said, "Your nuts". I replied, "So are you", and continued walking out. She replied, "You've forgotten your bag, sir".

Left the wife there as well eh!

"Crushed nuts Grandad?"
"No, rheumatism, young lady!"

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 01/12/2009 18:06:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums