The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does anyone know any good retrocausality links?  (Read 6338 times)

Offline ...lets split up...

• I love lamp
    • View Profile
Does anyone know any good retrocausality links?
« on: 15/10/2009 13:18:38 »
Hi, does anyone know any good links to retrocausality experiments and the results of those experiments. I'm interested to read up on the outcomes.

Thanks.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #1 on: 16/10/2009 13:01:47 »
Do you mean John Cramer's notion that Quantum physics allows photons to move in reverse time.

Quote from: the link
A physicist at the University of Washington, Cramer caught the attention of the press in recent months by discussing his hopes of testing the idea of quantum retrocausality. Here we’re in the domain of what Cramer calls the Transactional Interpretation, in which the processes of quantum mechanics involve waves traveling both forward and backward in time. His experiment, which may begin as early as next month, will test whether photons can communicate in reverse time.
Just do a Google search on your title. This thread will be at the top of the results.

My own view is that nature does not operate in reverse time. Even if Quantum physics allows it, maybe it is not real. :)
« Last Edit: 16/10/2009 13:07:30 by Vern »

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #2 on: 17/10/2009 15:08:18 »
Hi, does anyone know any good links to retrocausality experiments and the results of those experiments. I'm interested to read up on the outcomes.

Thanks.

God.... there's loads of examples... i will find some of the links i consider ''the best.''

• I love lamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/10/2009 11:37:01 »
Thanks Vern, that's exactly the one i was looking for but couldn't remember the name.
A pity there haven't been any results for the experiment.

I have no doubt it will fail, the universe prevents things like retrocausality from happening, along with absolute zero and accurate measurements.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #5 on: 19/10/2009 17:06:50 »
It might succeed based upon the assumptions that are not questioned in entanglement experiments. Quantum theory predicts that certain super-positioned states assume their measured state at the time of measurement. I suspect the experiment will use quantum entanglement and wave function collapse. There are some really spooky things going on with that combination if we can not question the prediction that the states assume their value at the time of measurement.

Keep in mind that there is no experimental evidence of wave-function collapse. It is just pretty solid theory that works very well to predict other things that can be measured.

• I love lamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20/10/2009 11:15:40 »
Like the square root of negative one?
Anyway, though i know a bit about physics, i'm no pro. But I have developed some of my own ideas that seem to hold with what i observe, and i'm confident that aside from the whole paradox thing this experiment will never work, something we never thought of is going to rear it's ugly head and people are going to go "oh, i never thought of that but it makes sense now"

And if i'm wrong i'm going to go into pre-mid-life crisis.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #7 on: 20/10/2009 12:02:31 »
I agree that there can be no real experimental result where photons travel backward in time. But in the present state of physics that disallows causality, and demands compliance with the Copenhagen interpretation, we may see results that can be interpreted that way. We tend to look at experimental results while adhering to an unyielding set of assumptions that try and force experimental results into compliance with our assumptions.

We are prone to wrong conclusions with that set of unyielding assumptions.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
« Reply #8 on: 20/10/2009 14:09:55 »

Thanks.
I came across this one just yesterday
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/10/16/2101272.aspx

• I love lamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/10/2009 14:34:41 »
Thanks.

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #10 on: 21/10/2009 00:52:03 »
It might succeed based upon the assumptions that are not questioned in entanglement experiments. Quantum theory predicts that certain super-positioned states assume their measured state at the time of measurement. I suspect the experiment will use quantum entanglement and wave function collapse. There are some really spooky things going on with that combination if we can not question the prediction that the states assume their value at the time of measurement.

Keep in mind that there is no experimental evidence of wave-function collapse. It is just pretty solid theory that works very well to predict other things that can be measured.

I need to disagree Vern.

There is solid evidence for the existence of the wave function collapse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment This is why only one particle is observed when it hits the screen.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #11 on: 21/10/2009 10:59:21 »
I read the Wiki from top to bottom a couple of times but didn't find anything that would suggest wave function collapse; in the Copenhagen sense.  The double slit experiment is evidence of the construct of things and the driving forces that move things. It is strong evidence of the photon-only construct of the universe. In the case of a photon, the evidence is that it is made of changing electric and magnetic amplitude. The change undulates around two points of maxima that move through space. The points of maxima are made of the same stuff as the fields that surround the points; they just peak out.

The surrounding fields drive the points through space in accord with Maxwell's equations. Anything done to the surrounding fields can determine the trajectory of the points. A photon's fields tend to interact more where they are strongest and when they do interact, the interaction itself causes the fields to come together at the point of interaction. So, usually, the total photon's energy goes into the interaction, even though the energy is mostly contained in the surrounding electric and magnetic fields.

So the double slit experiment just shows that the driving forces that determine the trajectory of points of interaction do go through both slits. It is the driving forces that go through both slits. The points of interaction are simply places where the driving forces are strongest.
« Last Edit: 21/10/2009 11:13:32 by Vern »

• I love lamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22/10/2009 09:14:04 »
Thanks guys, i learnt something from this, you just can't send lottery numbers to your past self using wave-particle morse code. Guess i'll just have to buy more tickets.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 22/10/2009 09:14:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums