The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is Life?  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Johnro

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is Life?
« on: 16/10/2009 15:36:04 »
Everything,as we know it, ends; at the end of a road another starts. whatever it is that ends something else begins? So,the vastness of the universe has to end somewhere but when it does something else has to begin? Nothing can go on forever, at least not as we understand it. No matter how many trillions of miles the universe stretched too it would have to end somewhere? and, and then there would be the start of something else...A great thinker once said this is impossible therefore nothing can be real? everything is imagination but then who's imagination is it? Please don't say God! I have been puzzling with this conundrum all my life...perhaps I'll find out when I'm gone?
« Last Edit: 18/10/2009 11:59:02 by chris »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Re: What is Life?
« Reply #1 on: 16/10/2009 17:36:53 »
Life, reportedly, is a bitch.

When you start thinking about the universe though, your day-to-day logic and perception of reality just isn't up to the job, hence the need for relativity and QM to adequately describe it, both of which require you to get your head around some very unintuitive ideas.

There are quite a few things that we can show do go on forever, the series of integers being a good example; there seems to be no end to the series of integers as there's no reason why you can't simply keep adding another 1 to the previous value.  Although the series of integers can be regarded as abstract, when you get down to the bottom level of any theory that attempts to describe the universe you end up with abstracts too.

If it makes you feel any better, you can regard yourself, and everything else, as being on the boundary of the expanding universe, at least in terms of time, for we seem to be constantly moving in to 'new' time i.e. time that, as far as we can tell, hasn't occurred yet.  Time then, seems to be like the series of integers; there seems to be no reason why another second can't be added to the end of the previous time.

Of course, if you believe in fate though, and that everything has already happened, and that the future is predetermined (which seems to be unprovable) then things will seem different.

Offline marky

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is Life?
« Reply #2 on: 20/10/2009 04:20:46 »
Life is a gift. What you can't explain needs no explaining. It's not worldly but holy.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What is Life?
« Reply #3 on: 20/10/2009 05:44:49 »
Life is a gift. What you can't explain needs no explaining. It's not worldly but holy.

Um, er, well - Sorry, but that's nonsense!

So, we should all show up at our local witch doctors so they can explain it to us because we are too feeble to figure it  out for ourselves? (And cough up the required fee for services they cannot possibly guarantee.)

If you want to be controlled by superstition, that's your choice, but please don't try to lay it on others.
« Last Edit: 21/10/2009 01:41:11 by Geezer »

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
What is Life?
« Reply #4 on: 21/10/2009 02:18:04 »
Knowing you will die sometime.  :(

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
What is Life?
« Reply #5 on: 23/10/2009 10:55:14 »
Being alive means that you're enthalpically and entropically out of balance and you're able to keep it out of balance ;)
Then when you die, your body will return to this equilibrium

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
What is Life?
« Reply #6 on: 24/10/2009 11:55:24 »
A persistant pain in the backside, always wants something done around the house, never satisfied even when you have been thoroughly exhausted and bled dry.

Oh! Sorry, 'Life', I thought you said 'Wife'!!!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is Life?
« Reply #7 on: 24/10/2009 12:12:56 »

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
What is Life?
« Reply #8 on: 24/10/2009 13:54:46 »
The deeper question here is why does life exist? Why does anything exist? And what would be here if nothing existed?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
What is Life?
« Reply #9 on: 24/10/2009 14:03:45 »
The deeper question here is why does life exist? Why does anything exist? And what would be here if nothing existed?

Ermmmm, nothing?

The Naked Scientists Forum

What is Life?
« Reply #9 on: 24/10/2009 14:03:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums