The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is having only one kidney a risk for swine flu?  (Read 4218 times)

Janine Lew

Is having only one kidney a risk for swine flu?
« on: 18/10/2009 16:30:03 »
Janine Lew  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi, I am a 79 yr. women with only one kidney. Am I in more danger from the results of catching the bird flu than any other person my age?

Sincerely,
Janine

What do you think?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18/10/2009 18:12:04 »
A bit of good news for senior citizens re: swine flu ...

The one remarkable thing about the people who are dying {of swine flu} this time is that there haven’t been a lot of elderly people among them. That was noted in early reports from Mexico, and it raised some interest then, and that seems to be true in the United States now, too. All the people who have died whom I have heard about seem to be younger than 55.

This phenomenon may be similar to what happened in the 1918 flu pandemic, in which young adults were severely affected and many older adults were spared.  One theory is that many older people may have survived the 1918 pandemic because they’d lived through the 1889-90 pandemic and may have been protected, or effectively vaccinated, by this earlier exposure.
http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=131077

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 18/10/2009 21:55:28 »
No, I don't think that, per-se, have just a single kidney is a risk factor for poor outcome following swine flu infection. In saying this I am assuming that you have normal renal function ie the one kidney you do have is in good shape and there is no evidence of renal failure or a requirement for dialysis?

If this is the case then single kidney-dom shouldn't be a problem.

Chris

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 18/10/2009 21:55:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums