The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Is The Smallest Movement I can Detect when I'm In Motion ?  (Read 5816 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile

Dearest Darlings...mwah mwah !!...luff ewe...mean it !!

As a sheepy I of course move. Moving is my all time favourite pastime when it comes to motioning something into something then out of something..in..out..in..out !!..YAYYY !!!...

Look, here ewe can see how I have moved !

Me Having Moved

Kewl eh ?  I just luff getting up in the mornings knowing that I have some moving to do !

Any ideas though of what is the smallest amount of moving I can detect ?.I don't mean visually I mean...myself in motion. I ask this because I was in a traffic jam and there were points when I was moving very very very slowly !...snails were overtaking !

So, can ewe help me understand the nature of my internal motion detection ability ?

I would ask my neighbour but I think he might be moving !!

Ta

Hugs & Shmishes

mwah mwah mwah mwah !!

Neil
When I Move I'm Neil Not Still
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 22/10/2009 00:03:39 by neilep »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
What were ewe doing up Silbury Hill?

Sorry, no idea about ewe're question.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
What were ewe doing up Silbury Hill?

Sorry, no idea about ewe're question.

Well, as a sheepy I of course luff to climb  Neolithic monuments  ;D

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Do ewe mean when you are travelling in the back of sheep lorry or when ewe are hoofing it?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Do ewe mean when you are travelling in the back of sheep lorry or when ewe are hoofing it?

Hi Geezer !

My mistake for not explaining myself properly...it is tricky to type when my secretary is doing a 'monica lewinsky '......I of course mean when I'm in the sheep lorry....but..I of course would not be in the back with the proletariat sheep..I would be up front in first class !

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile

Hi Geezer !

My mistake for not explaining myself properly...it is tricky to type when my secretary is doing a 'monica lewinsky '......I of course mean when I'm in the sheep lorry....but..I of course would not be in the back with the proletariat sheep..I would be up front in first class !

Ah! Yes of course. How silly of me.

Well, assuming the sheep lorry is travelling at a very slow, but constant speed in a straight line on a very flat surface, I think the only way you would be able to detect movement would be to look sheepishly at the scenery. If there happened to be a bus stop pole on the kerb and you could see it and something on the horizon like a tree or a pylon at the same time, you would be able to detect very slow movement of the lorry, even if it was only millimeters per minute and you were willing keep observing for a longish time.

On the other hand, if the sheep lorry was whipping along in intergalactic space at 10,000 MPH it would probably get a ticket, and you would not be able to detect any movement at all - unless you happened upon an intergalactic bus stop.
(I wonder if intergalactic buses all show up at the same time?)
« Last Edit: 22/10/2009 01:20:20 by Geezer »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If you're measuring distance then theoretically the shortest measurable distance is a Planck (not plank) length ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length
« Last Edit: 22/10/2009 05:11:48 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
If you're measuring distance then theoretically the shortest measurable distance is a Planck (not plank) length ...

I think he might be saying we are thiker than two short plancks!

Sheepy seems to be interested in how much sheepal movement he can detect rather than the smallest distance we can measure.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Sorry I didn't fully read the question (it's 5am here).

Ahh I now see the question relates to the sensitivity of the ovine vestibular system.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Right - Although I kind of cheated by eliminating any acceleration in my assumptions, so he's not going to detect anything through the ovine backside.

BTW - Good night, or good morning!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
What Is The Smallest Movement I can Detect when I'm In Motion ?
« Reply #10 on: 22/10/2009 08:07:04 »
Some people can't detect even a fair amount of movement without visual reference. How many sheep transporters stop at traffic lights but the driver does not apply the hand/park brake. Then while the driver is pouring out a cup of coffee from his Thermos™ flask (other insulated flasks are available) the truck rolls gently back or foward toward another sheep transporter, prompting a blast on the horn and a barage of obscenities such as "Oi, ********! What the *%+* are you doing, you great *&^%*ing ponce."

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22/10/2009 12:13:25 »

Hi Geezer !

Ah! Yes of course. How silly of me.

Well, assuming the sheep lorry is travelling at a very slow, but constant speed in a straight line on a very flat surface, I think the only way you would be able to detect movement would be to look sheepishly at the scenery. If there happened to be a bus stop pole on the kerb and you could see it and something on the horizon like a tree or a pylon at the same time, you would be able to detect very slow movement of the lorry, even if it was only millimeters per minute and you were willing keep observing for a longish time.

On the other hand, if the sheep lorry was whipping along in intergalactic space at 10,000 MPH it would probably get a ticket, and you would not be able to detect any movement at all - unless you happened upon an intergalactic bus stop.
(I wonder if intergalactic buses all show up at the same time?)

Thanks Geezer.

So, what ewe're saying is that only with the aid of a visual clue will my movement senses kick in at a very very slow speed !..that's very interesting !

Oh, I would not get a ticket flying fast in space as I have an arrangement with the space traffic police !..it involves my tying my laces of course !  ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22/10/2009 12:14:22 »

How wonderful to know this..thank ewe RD   :D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22/10/2009 12:15:13 »
Sorry I didn't fully read the question (it's 5am here).

Ahh I now see the question relates to the sensitivity of the ovine vestibular system.

How wonderful to know this...thank ewe RD ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22/10/2009 12:16:16 »
Right - Although I kind of cheated by eliminating any acceleration in my assumptions, so he's not going to detect anything through the ovine backside.

BTW - Good night, or good morning!

Only if the space traffic police stop me !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22/10/2009 12:18:47 »
Some people can't detect even a fair amount of movement without visual reference. How many sheep transporters stop at traffic lights but the driver does not apply the hand/park brake. Then while the driver is pouring out a cup of coffee from his Thermos™ flask (other insulated flasks are available) the truck rolls gently back or foward toward another sheep transporter, prompting a blast on the horn and a barage of obscenities such as "Oi, ********! What the *%+* are you doing, you great *&^%*ing ponce."

This is very true and I thank ewe Don1 for pointing that out.....so, preoccupation is bad for movement detectorologists !

Gosh !..I have already learned so much about the nature of movement detection....thank ewe all !

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22/10/2009 16:10:29 »

Sometimes it works the other way too. You may have noticed this effect when you are sitting on a stationary train reading the evening edition of "Sheep Shearer's Gazette" and the train at the next platform starts moving. You might be fooled into believing that your train is moving instead and it takes a few moments to figure out that your train is still stationary. It can be quite disorienting.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22/10/2009 17:16:08 »

Sometimes it works the other way too. You may have noticed this effect when you are sitting on a stationary train reading the evening edition of "Sheep Shearer's Gazette" and the train at the next platform starts moving. You might be fooled into believing that your train is moving instead and it takes a few moments to figure out that your train is still stationary. It can be quite disorienting.

yes yes..that always makes me dizzy...in fact..I then projectile vomit on to the person sitting next to me. Once I've explained why I've sheepy-spewed over their precocious 6 year old daughty they always just giggle and shrug it orf !

Trains do have this uncanny knack of moving without telling ewe.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22/10/2009 17:23:39 »
You may have noticed this effect when you are sitting on a stationary train reading the evening edition of "Sheep Shearer's Gazette" and the train at the next platform starts moving. You might be fooled into believing that your train is moving instead and it takes a few moments to figure out that your train is still stationary. It can be quite disorienting.

Sometimes even the train station seems to be moving when viewed from a recently stopped train ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_aftereffect 

Here is a good motion aftereffect illusion : look* at the whirling spiral for 20 seconds then look at you computer keyboard.

[* not a good idea if you have photosensitive epilepsy / migraine].
« Last Edit: 22/10/2009 17:49:53 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27/10/2009 04:02:02 »
Sheepy - For clarification, are you sure you meant "while you are in motion" and not "while you are having a motion"?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #19 on: 27/10/2009 04:02:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums