The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Does Bottled Water Have A Sell By Date ?  (Read 3838 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Does Bottled Water Have A Sell By Date ?
« on: 21/10/2009 23:24:53 »
Dearest Aquaologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff water. Water is great, it's my all time favourite thing to swim in and *chortles* to wee wee in when in a swimming pool *guffaw guffaw*   I luff it..ewe luff it..we all luff water !!

As ewe all know , there are but two types of water:

Tap Water

A Tap Where Water Spews From

and Bottled Water.

It's water...it's a bottle......... it's Bottled Water !!

As a bon viveur of watery luff I remain confused as to why bottled water (be it glass or plastic....fizzy or still) has a sell by date on it !!..why's that then ?....it's water !

If ewe can help me understand the nature of sell-by dates on bottled water then I will ever so grateful and will grant ewe what ever ewe wish for.

Hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah mwah !!

neil
Waterloo Sunset
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: 21/10/2009 23:26:31 by neilep »

Offline Dimi

• Prone to rambling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22/10/2009 03:26:02 »
The plastic coating of the bottled water degrades. I am a bit pendantic in that I can taste the difference between bottled water and tap water... I prefer tap water :) Its much sweeter and seems fresher to me.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 22/10/2009 08:29:28 »
Strong light would have an effect on plastic bottles after a while, but not glass. So long as a glass bottle was sterile and the water also sterile when sealed, and if kept in a cool, dark place, I should think the water would last a very long time, maybe indefinitely. But as a water bottler, you don't want to take a chance on someone storing the bottle inappropriately and then suing you for the fact that the water may have been the cause of giving that certain someone a dose of the gallops.

Take a look at a bottle of vinegar. It too will have a 'sell by' date, yet vinegar is itself a preservative. Its a bit like the circular power saw bearing the warning 'Do not attempt to stop the blade with your genitals.' If doesn't say 'Don't do it' on the box, some prize burk just might, and then sue.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just off to have some razor blades for breakfast. Well it doesn't say 'Do not consume' on the packet, so it must be OK to eat them!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 22/10/2009 08:29:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums