The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Does Corn Not Get Digested In The Acid Of Your Tummy ?  (Read 5355 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile

Dearest Cornologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff corn, corn is my all time favourite yellow kernel type thing that tastes corny.

As ewe well know ....there are two types of corn:

There's Korn.

Some Korn

and Corn

Oops, How did those juicy plums get there ?

When corn goes in your tummy it comes into contact with some well hard stuff called hydrochloric acid !...it's well caustic !

So, how comes corn survives this assault ?

As a firm believer in empirical study I snuk into my neighbours house at 3am this morning and dressed him up as a cob of corn. I then threw him into a vat of gastric acid and waited for the results.

He was so happy !..ewe should have seen him paddling around and splashing about...screaming for joy !....then, a few minutes later he wasn't there !!.....I looked everywhere....I even looked inside his wallet which I had to empty first into my pocket in case he was playing hide and seek. I did notice a set of dentures floating in the vat of acid though !..hmmm...clearly he left them...so..no luck there !!

Can ewe help and explain to me why corn is so good at avoiding hydrochloric acid luff ?

Hugs & Shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

Neil
Corn Ewe Cope With A Cornucopia ?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why Does Corn Not Get Digested In The Acid Of Your Tummy ?
« Reply #1 on: 23/10/2009 17:27:26 »
'coz corn is waxy ?

... it comes into contact with some well hard stuff called hydrochloric acid !...it's well caustic !

by convention 'caustic' generally refers only to strong bases, particularly alkalis, and not to acids
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosive
« Last Edit: 23/10/2009 17:31:50 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/10/2009 09:29:57 »
'coz corn is waxy ?

... it comes into contact with some well hard stuff called hydrochloric acid !...it's well caustic !

by convention 'caustic' generally refers only to strong bases, particularly alkalis, and not to acids
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosive

Thanks RD...so , wax is impervious to hydrochloric acid.....that's nice !...so, a diet of candles will help me lose lots of weight..yayyy !!

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/10/2009 09:43:24 »
In mexico the native peoples introduced lime juice to their diet, a programme I watched many years ago on the decline of the indian populations refered to this as a suplement required to digest corn properly.

They examined the bones of the indian polpulations past identifying bone abnormalities and related this to poor diet. Considering their main diet was corn it fits with your as per usual interesting question.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/10/2009 10:19:17 »
In regards to Neil's question since the corn does not digest and basically comes out whole.. then how can the starchy corn be turning to sugar in our bodies since our bodies do not digest it?

Secondly when I put corn in my mouth I chew it up like crazy but regardless, it still seems to come out whole??

Hows that then?

I must be a horrible chewer!
« Last Edit: 24/10/2009 10:21:09 by Karen W. »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/10/2009 11:11:44 »
... since the corn does not digest and basically comes out whole.. then how can the starchy corn be turning to sugar in our bodies since our bodies do not digest it?

It's the yellow outer layer (husk ?) which is waxy and indigestible.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 24/10/2009 11:11:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums