The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are we living in a slow motion world?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline sadarian

• View Profile
Are we living in a slow motion world?
« on: 25/10/2009 06:35:22 »
Alright, here's my question for you physics gurus:  I understand (somewhat) that time slows down for a particular object as it increases its velocity.  I also understand that an object would need to be going pretty fast before this effect would be reasonably noticeable.

So with that said,  exactly how fast are we traveling through space on planet earth as it: orbits the sun, sun flies through the milky way, milky way flies through the universe, etc? And is it fast enough that a completely stationary observer would see a noticeable difference in the rate of time relative to him?  Thanks!

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #1 on: 25/10/2009 07:33:19 »
Sure.

In fact, we live in a very slow part of the universe.A consequence of the inflationary phase of the universe, is that certain parts of the universe was left expanding at different speeds (see Hawking's Black Holes and Baby Universes 1996). Our part of the universe, with our local surrounding matter is in fact moving through space very slowely. Earth moves around the sun ina near-circular orbit at around 66,000 m/p/h.

Relative to us, Andromeda i moving at 300,000 m/p/h towards the milkyway, whereas the milky way is cascading through space at a slower speed of 600km per sec.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #2 on: 25/10/2009 13:57:29 »
I suspect that the motion you are describing is relative to the frame of reference of the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation.  It seems reasonable to me that the CMBR would represent a special frame of reference common throughout the universe. A few of us have begun to suspect that space-time is flat and that the CMBR represents the inertial frame that is at rest in the universe. :)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/10/2009 14:05:51 »
I think we must have one otherwise rotation would be meaningless

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #4 on: 25/10/2009 14:18:56 »
Wouldn't rotation be detectable by measuring centripetal force? It seems to me that if our inertial frame were rotating, we might notice a decrease in the force if we rotated a device counter to our frame. Wouldn't we see a minimum force when we exactly matched the rotation of our frame of reference?

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/10/2009 18:59:41 »
If there is a frame of reference that embraces the whole universe how could it be rotating ? relative to what ?

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #6 on: 25/10/2009 23:00:02 »
Does rotation even apply to an inertial frame? I have not thought about that before. I know that we sense rotation of something within an inertial frame and the rotation is relative to the frame, which is not rotating.

I guess I misunderstood your introduction of rotation. I think I know now what you meant.

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #7 on: 27/10/2009 12:27:37 »
Sure.

In fact, we live in a very slow part of the universe.

So if we live an a slow moving part of the universe, where in fact not living in slow motion, since time slows down more the faster we move.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 27/10/2009 12:27:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums