The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does astronauts get Oxygen in Space Station ?  (Read 5522 times)

Kiran The King Kai

How does astronauts get Oxygen in Space Station ?

They stay years together !
but How do they remove CO2 out of Space station ?

where do they throw human wast ? In to space ?

IS it possible to grow Plants in Space !!
to get O2 and food ???

Kiran The King Kai

« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2009 03:54:22 »
does any one know ?

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #2 on: 27/10/2009 04:49:25 »
They take along supply of oxygen in tanks maybe in a liquidic form, but i could be wrong. It will be regulated by clever machines also, so no need to worry about a lack of fresh air. You can't grow plants out in open space, but you could grow them i suppose i a spacestation with all the necessery requirements for germination and growth.

Kiran The King Kai

« Reply #3 on: 27/10/2009 07:30:20 »
They take along supply of oxygen in tanks maybe in a liquidic form, but i could be wrong. It will be regulated by clever machines also, so no need to worry about a lack of fresh air. You can't grow plants out in open space, but you could grow them i suppose i a spacestation with all the necessery requirements for germination and growth.
I heard that there is special kind of material which filters CO2 ..

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #4 on: 27/10/2009 07:50:03 »
Seems plausible.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/10/2009 19:22:56 »
Lithium peroxide reacts with CO2 and releases oxygen. They use it in spacecraft. They have a similar problem in submarines where they use sodium peroxide which is cheaper but holds less oxygen for a given weight.

I think I once heard that they also generate oxygen by electrolysis of water but I also heard that they use fuel cells for power. It would be odd if they did both at the same time.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27/10/2009 20:06:51 »
I think I once heard that they also generate oxygen by electrolysis of water but I also heard that they use fuel cells for power. It would be odd if they did both at the same time.
Not necessarily all that odd. If they were only in the sunlight part of the time, and part of the time the earth lay between them and the sun, they might generate hydrogen and oxygen using photovoltaics, breathe some of the oxygen and use the rest to power the electrical systems whilst the space station is in shadow.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27/10/2009 20:59:45 »
It would be odd if they did both at the same time.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28/10/2009 10:43:08 »
Ah well, I read "at the same time" as "on the same mission", not literally "at the same moment"... although actually I can imagine situations in which they might if there were an O2 generator running somewhere in the ship generating the "breathing" oxygen and a fuel cell that charges/discharges itself in a contained system somewhere else (analogous to a battery). Tho' I'm not thinking very hard about this so I may have missed something.

Kiran The King Kai

« Reply #9 on: 28/10/2009 12:20:21 »
Ah well, I read "at the same time" as "on the same mission", not literally "at the same moment"... although actually I can imagine situations in which they might if there were an O2 generator running somewhere in the ship generating the "breathing" oxygen and a fuel cell that charges/discharges itself in a contained system somewhere else (analogous to a battery). Tho' I'm not thinking very hard about this so I may have missed something.
thank you rosy (you are like a flower ! LOL)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 28/10/2009 12:20:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums