The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I test the chemical composition of shampoo?  (Read 4835 times)

Jody

Jody asked the Naked Scientists:

So...not your typical chemistry question, but I suspect that my sister has put a hair removal product into my shampoo. 

I don't want to call her out on it before I have any proof.  Is there a way to test my shampoo to see if it contains any hair removal product?

What do you think?

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
How can I test the chemical composition of shampoo?
« Reply #1 on: 29/10/2009 18:07:41 »
Trying to find the full chemical composition would be tricky, but if you know what product you think she's adding and can find out the active ingredient that might be something you could test for..
A common hair removal product is calcium thioglycolate, which if it were going to have much effect it would have to be making the shampoo basic, I think.. so you could try getting a fresh bottle of the same shampoo and the suspect bottle and testing the pH of both and see if the pH's are the same (you could use indicator paper if you can get it, or failing that you might be able to see a difference in the colour on mixing it with red cabbage juice (you'd need to be quite careful to use the same quantities of everything to get a result you could trust).

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/10/2009 18:16:59 »
Put some on a small section of hair on your body no one is likely to notice, and see if the hair comes out.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/10/2009 18:34:30 »
Re: 'thioglycolate' hair removal creams ...

Avoid contact with eyes and in the event of this rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice
 (if other creams cause legs to itch and burn -god knows what it would do to your eyes!)
Keep out of reach of children
Hair removers can be used anywhere except around the eyes, nose, ears, on breast nipples, perianal or genital areas.
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/body-care/superdrug-hair-removal-cream/1057906/
« Last Edit: 29/10/2009 18:46:53 by RD »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/10/2009 17:54:09 »
Don't most hair removers stink?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/10/2009 13:13:37 »
Or you could throw it out. Tell your sister that it seemed to smell funny.
That way she has wasted her time, money, and effort. (OK it costs you the shampoo but I suspect that shampoo is cheaper than hair remover.)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 31/10/2009 13:13:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums