The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Sun Spots  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Tizzit

• First timers
    • View Profile
Sun Spots
« on: 15/09/2005 22:34:00 »
We have read in the local paper about activity from the sun which will interfear with Radio and Mobile phones among other electrical things.  Does anyone know when this is going to happen and how much interfearance it will cause.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Spots
« Reply #1 on: 15/09/2005 22:42:39 »
there are sun spots all the time on the Sun but I understand that there is an eleven year cycle culminating where the activity really increases....i'm sure a sunspot expert will pass by and answer you fully ......in the mean time...welcome to the site.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/09/2005 18:52:01 »
We have just passed a solar maximum, and the sunspots were fantastic. Now, we are going into the quiet sun period, and I won't be using the solar filter.:(

Here is some info on sunspot activity:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/sunspots/

If you Google "sunspots", you can get the other 1,319,999 hits.

"F = ma, E = mc^2, and you can't push a string."

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/09/2005 20:34:49 »
And its not just astronomers who suffer; a ham radio operator was telling me that with low solar activity the ionosphere weakens and he can't get his very long range contacts any more (Australia from the UK with a 5W transmitter!  Seems incredible, what kind of power can they be picking up at the other end!)

Never mind guys, the years will just fly by! :)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #4 on: 17/09/2005 21:18:07 »
Its possible for ham radio operators to bounce their transmissions via the moon or even a passing meteor shower.
I can understand doing it via the moon because you can see what your bouncing off . but it must be bloody hard using a passing  meteor shower
« Last Edit: 17/09/2005 21:19:23 by ukmicky »

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/09/2005 13:12:08 »
It works off of the normal ionization generated by micrometeorites. These particles are always entering the earth's atmosphere, and do not depend on solar activity to ionize the upper atmosphere. Of course, the downside is that the ionization fluctuates so the contacts are brief, but re-establish after a short time delay. Communications schemes similar to TCP-IP are used, that can send short packets of data and reconstruct messages from fragments. Another good use is called OTHB (over-the-horizon-backscatter) radar. This technology was developed to find Russian bombers in the Atlantic Ocean at long distances. It uses low frequencies that will bounce off the ionized meteor trails, and resonate with the airframe of the aircraft in question, then return, bouncing again off of meteor trails.

"F = ma, E = mc^2, and you can't push a string."

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 18/09/2005 13:12:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums