The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes the short gap between the bunsen flame and the round bottomed flask?  (Read 3072 times)

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
Some of you may know, or none of you may know, that I'm currently studying Chemistry at first year degree level. As part of our course we are required to perform practicals, and one of the rotations is an organic rotation. In this, we are required to heat a substance under reflux in a round bottomed flask, say 100ml. I have noticed that if I move the microbunsen so that the top of it is almost touching the bottom of the flask, the flame seems to spread out in a small circle and there is a small visible gap of a millimetre or less between the flame and the bottom of the flask. Can anyone explain where this gap comes from? Is there an air pocket trapped, or is it my faulty perception, or something else?

Edit: I just realised this might be more appropriate in the physics section. Sorry mods if you agree! [:I]
« Last Edit: 01/11/2009 18:32:25 by glovesforfoxes »

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
Thanks - I don't have access to white hot iron, but I'll try boiling some water on a blue flame and then changing to an orange flame to see if there is any difference.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums