The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the H1N1 vaccination worth it?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Pwee

• View Profile
Is the H1N1 vaccination worth it?
« on: 04/11/2009 09:59:49 »
Hey everyone!

I don't know if it goes against forum policy to talk about this (in our country it's a political issue).

So I'd like to know what the people on this forum think about the vaccination against the H1N1 virus. I'm thinking about geting the vaccine, but here in Hungary there is a big opposition against it. Their main arguments are:
- the development of the vaccine was rushed, so it may have some unknown sideeffects
- the vaccine is highly ineffective, it works only in the fraction of the cases
- the virus is not more dangerous then the original flu so it's not worth it to get vaccinated

Where can I find reliable information on these issues (mainly data not anecdotes), and whats your oppinion on the subject?

Offline litespeed

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/2009 22:08:19 »
Pwee

If you were born prior to 1957 I would be disinclined to get the shot. This is because those of us alive at the time were exposed to a swine flu and have some inherent immunity to the general type.

In addition, you should know there are several versions of the vaccine. Some of them have preservatives that include mercury. Some people seem highly sensitive to this and thats a worry because very severe central nervous system complications can occur.

However, I am aware of only one possible case so far.  There are also connections between this preservative and autism in youngsters, but that is very much debated. In the US you can specifically ask for a version without this preservative, as did the entire German Army.

Finally, this flu does not seem to have evolved into a version that is highly virulent. On the contrary, it seems to have become a bit more benign. My verdict is I won't get one for a couple of reasons. First, I was born before 1957. Second, I was raised on a highly unsanitary farm and probably have become exposed and imunized to an unknown level. For instance, as kids we and the neighbors would swim in the cow pond and throw cow pies at each other. We should all be dead from E-coli.

I must confess, however, that I have never been inclined to flu shots. The very idea of a speculative, invasive, preventative gives me the creeps. None the less, the odds of any adverse reaction to getting the shot are miniscule.

Thats the best I can offer to the topic. As is always the case, your results may vary!

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #2 on: 04/11/2009 22:10:46 »
See also this thread, started yesterday by Chris:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=26487.msg281919

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 04/11/2009 22:10:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines