The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Make your own Aspirin  (Read 13101 times)

Offline Qing

• View Profile
Make your own Aspirin
« on: 08/07/2003 15:41:31 »
Hi,is everyone all right?
I have just finished my practical of making my own aspirin and tested the purity through finding the melting point of the sample. Does anyone know if there is an impurity contained in the sample,the melting point will tend to be higher or lower? i think it will be lower but can't explain the reason. can you help me please?
have a nice holiday everyone!:D

Qing
« Last Edit: 08/07/2003 15:42:21 by Qing »

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Make your own Aspirin
« Reply #1 on: 09/07/2003 00:37:59 »
Qing, what did you make your aspirin with.  I vaguely remember hearing that asa was originally from tree bark (white oak?).

Offline Qing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2003 16:11:39 »
we used IRRITANTsalicylic acid, FLAMMABLE ethanoic anhydride and glacial ehanoic acid and CORROSIVEehanoic acid. put them into to a quickfit flask,using the reflux method,heated for 30 mins. then added 150ml of distilled water in it,left a lump of ice in the water to cool it. it immediately becomes white ppt, we filtered it through the Buchner system and got some cystalised white residue.we dissolved it again in hot water and filtered another time when it's cooled down,but through a filter paper.and then put the residue into a extremly narroe tube and stick the tube into a hole in some kind of machine which i can't name,so that we got the melting point of the sample.
is it similar to that one you did,donna?

Qing
« Last Edit: 09/07/2003 16:12:26 by Qing »

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/07/2003 18:59:08 »
Qing, I've never made asa, I just wondered how you did it.  It sounds like a lot of work, but interesting.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2003 23:36:21 »
Sounds great - you can start with benzene if you want to ! I seem to remember that you can vary the conditions a bit and make oil of wintergreen instead. I made some with a friend and we then fractionally distilled it and extracted very pure wintergreen. I still have a sample of it somethere from over 10 years ago. Smells great !

Aspirin or ASA (aminosalicylic acid) was first made in about 1870 by Bayer pharmaceuticals who were looking for an antiinflammatory with fewer stomach-disturbing side effects than salicylic acid, the original anti-inflammatory derived from willow bark (latin Salix, hence salicylic acid).

By 1950 aspirin had become the world's most popular painkiller, earning it a place in the guinness book of records and a place in history. Something like 50,000 tonnes per year are now consumed worldwide and it is one of the most widely used agents with proven effectiveness against heart disease, strokes, colon cancer, upper GI cancers and even Alzheimer's disease ! The biggest side effects are gastic irritation (ulceration) and kidney problems for people who have knackered kidneys.

It's a wicked drug.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Qing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/07/2003 03:53:20 »
hi chris,i have once seen salicylic acid had been use in cosmetics,is that right? and by the way,what is wintergreen,is it a kind of plant?

Qing
« Last Edit: 29/07/2003 02:26:43 by Qing »

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/07/2003 10:45:34 »
well what i think is that greeting to you that you had made your own asprin i will also try to make it as far as impurity is consult it may contain some but you can ignore it coz the impurities will not be other that some organic acid which is not much harmful.

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28/07/2003 12:00:41 »
Hey Qing, are you just back from China?

Angel

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28/07/2003 14:48:57 »
Organic acid? Would that be the fungal type that was oh so popular in the 60's ?

Offline Qing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29/07/2003 02:13:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by cuso4

Hey Qing, are you just back from China?

Angel

hi Angel,i arrived China on July 22nd,and i am still here.i didn't have access to internet in my homestay family and haven't been able to come to this forum science college had closed.i was looking forward to using it when i come back home in China,but found out my computer could not logon internet and i have to wait till my father's not too busy then come to his office to use it.it's been ages science last logon, i am a bit annoyed[xx(]

Qing
« Last Edit: 29/07/2003 02:16:04 by Qing »

Offline Qing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29/07/2003 02:31:26 »
hello qazibasit,nice to meet you,i bet i've missed a lot of friends during this long absence.

Qing

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29/07/2003 08:55:15 »
Qing, so when are you coming back? Honestly, I can't wait for the college to start again.

Have you heard from Rebecca at all?

Angel

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29/07/2003 11:10:25 »
welcome back.

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists

Offline Qing

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30/07/2003 06:48:08 »
i'll be back at 7th of Aug at 11pm.[xx(] i think Rebecca is with her homestay,probabaly in Ireland,[size=4]HOLIDAY[/size=4]I can't wait for college to open,but don't want to think about my result[B)]. how are you now? what are you doing? i didn't bring any homework back8)

Qing

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30/07/2003 12:24:44 »
You'll be fine with the results. I'm recently trying to recap the stuff we've done before the holiday, but this really is hard to do during the relaxing vacation. Most of the time I just read comics and play some PC games.

Angel

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 30/07/2003 12:24:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums