The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where has all of the Radiant Energy gone?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 476
    • View Profile
Where has all of the Radiant Energy gone?
« on: 05/11/2009 00:44:37 »
Suns (Stars) have been pouring Radiant Energy into space ever since the Big Bang.  No one ever considers it in reference to filling space but it has not gone away and must be a part of the Universe.  If Dark Energy and Dark Matter fill 96% of space and the other 4% is filled by Celestial Bodies, where is Radiant Energy?


« Last Edit: 06/11/2009 19:02:20 by Joe L. Ogan »


 

Offline Vern

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2072
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Re: Where has all of the Radiant Energy gone?
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/2009 12:05:49 »
I have had similar thoughts; all stars radiate not only electromagnetically but also spew out ions and even atoms. This has been going on since the first star lit. All this stuff must contribute to the ambient gravity and is probably as clumpy in space as are galaxies. So maybe you have identified a candidate for the galactic rotational anomalies we notice.
 

Ethos

  • Guest
Re: Where has all of the Radiant Energy gone?
« Reply #2 on: 06/11/2009 15:16:53 »
I have had similar thoughts;

Likewise here; There was a time when I couldn't shake the beauty of an Ether Theory. As the years passed, I graduated to a belief in the Standard Model. After careful consideration about this view, I had to drop it in favor of The Infinite Univers position. Presently, I'm slowly returning to my old friend, "The Ether".

The question that was raised by the author of this thread is a very good one in my opinion. Since Energy can not be destroyed, it stands to reason that it remains ever present. And as matter degenerates thru the fusion process in stars, the release of this energy adds to the concentration universally.

Is it possible that gravity is the result of this radiant pressure on matter?

« Last Edit: 06/11/2009 15:28:24 by Ethos »
 

Offline Vern

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2072
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Re: Where has all of the Radiant Energy gone?
« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2009 16:17:01 »
For a time back in the fifties, the idea of push gravity enjoyed some popularity. I haven't seen the notion advocated for the last twenty years or so.

The radiation that stars convert from mass and spew into space becomes mass again. Gamma ray frequencies can tangle up and become mass directly and lower frequencies can be absorbed by space debris, warming it. The space debris then radiates black-body radiation in accord with its temperature.
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Where has all of the Radiant Energy gone?
« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2009 16:17:01 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums
 
Login
Login with username, password and session length