The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How big is your pint?  (Read 7296 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« on: 08/11/2009 06:37:25 »
An American and an Englishman went for a pint. They got into a argument about the difference between a US pint and a UK pint. The American said the difference was 25%. The Englishman said it was only 20%.

Who was right?

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/2009 09:29:07 »
According to Wiki... "The imperial version is 20 imperial fluid ounces and is equivalent to about 568 ml, while the U.S. version is 16 U.S. fluid ounces and is equivalent to about 473 ml.", but I guess your question refers to what the "percentage difference" is of. Is the UK pint 20% larger (20% of the US pint) or the US pint 25% smaller (25% of the UK pint) which may be approximately the same. I have not checked the maths though.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #2 on: 08/11/2009 10:26:24 »
An American and an Englishman went for a pint. They got into a argument about the difference between a US pint and a UK pint. The American said the difference was 25%. The Englishman said it was only 20%.

Who was right?

Both.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #3 on: 08/11/2009 11:49:03 »
Well actually it's approximately 17% smaller or 20% larger.

(568-473)/568=0.167 (16.7%)
(568-473/473=0.201 (20.1%)

So I prefer buying beer in England.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #4 on: 08/11/2009 13:40:18 »
It might be reasonable to speculate that both drinkers were unaware of the metric equivalents.
In that case they might (mistakenly) have thought that the pints had volumes in the ration 16 Oz to 20 Oz.
In that case they pint is 25% bigger than the pint, but the pint is only 20% smaller than a pint (I think, but it might be the other way round).

Incidentally, I thought the normal reason for prefering to buybeer in England was that American beer is like making love in a canoe.
I wouldn't know because I usually drink whiskey.
« Last Edit: 08/11/2009 13:42:51 by Bored chemist »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #5 on: 08/11/2009 14:43:43 »
Well I've never made love in a canoe, but I suspect you are right. Though I have to say US beer making has come on a lot in recent years with quite a lot of decent micro-breweries around. British beer can be hit and miss unless you know which beers to try and, like many good things (good cheese for example) is an acquired taste. I also like a decent single malt. Have you ever tried Glen Ord?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #6 on: 08/11/2009 17:56:38 »
Do they really drink beer warm in the UK?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #7 on: 08/11/2009 19:17:22 »
Well actually it's approximately 17% smaller or 20% larger.

(568-473)/568=0.167 (16.7%)
(568-473/473=0.201 (20.1%)

So I prefer buying beer in England.

Yes. Looks like they were both wrong! They were assuming an Imperial Fluid Ounce has the same volume as a US Fluid Ounce. They are actually different, although I imagine the Imperial version is no longer in use.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #8 on: 09/11/2009 06:26:48 »
It might be reasonable to speculate that both drinkers were unaware of the metric equivalents.
In that case they might (mistakenly) have thought that the pints had volumes in the ration 16 Oz to 20 Oz.
In that case they pint is 25% bigger than the pint, but the pint is only 20% smaller than a pint (I think, but it might be the other way round).

Incidentally, I thought the normal reason for prefering to buybeer in England was that American beer is like making love in a canoe.
Bored Chemist would not drink Glen Ord. No whiskey is produced in Scotland.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #9 on: 09/11/2009 08:57:09 »
Do they really drink beer warm in the UK?
Depends on the beer!  Lagers ans some of the cheaper bitters are best served cold, while good bitters, ales, stouts and porters are at their best at room temperature.

If a nice ale is too cold, you don't get the proper balance of flavours. If a fizzy lager is too warm, it's usually awful.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #10 on: 09/11/2009 09:17:56 »
I agree BenV, though generally I prefer cellar temperature for a good ale; rather cooler than (modern) room temperatures, so around 15C.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #11 on: 09/11/2009 10:05:03 »
Good point - especially now all the pubs have their fires burning!

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #12 on: 09/11/2009 12:11:38 »
I'm looking forward to abandoning these outdated measurements and UK publicans rounding up from .568 to 1 :P

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
How big is your pint?
« Reply #13 on: 09/11/2009 12:52:56 »
If a fizzy lager is too warm, it's usually awful.
I think you'll find that should be: If fizzy lager is too warm, you find out how awful it tastes!  ;D

CAMRA states "Real ale is served at cellar temperature 12-14 C" not room temp as is the commonly held belief.

http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=180651

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #14 on: 09/11/2009 16:17:54 »
I guess it's probably to do with the difference in climate, but if you drank warm beer in Australia everyone would look at you in disgust :p I like my beer as cold as possible while still being a liquid :P

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #15 on: 09/11/2009 18:03:12 »
I guess it's probably to do with the difference in climate, but if you drank warm beer in Australia everyone would look at you in disgust :p I like my beer as cold as possible while still being a liquid :P

Well, if you insist on drinking Foster's, it's best to numb your taste buds by drinking it as cold as possible  ;D

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #16 on: 09/11/2009 18:15:52 »
Haha, actually I think it's a misconception that aussies drink Foster's, it's not popular here at all, I don't know anyone who drinks it, and it's never advertised anywhere. Actually I haven't even seen it in shops, although I haven't been looking. I think i've only ever seen a can of Fosters once in my life

Most people I know drink Toohey's Extra Dry or XXXX Gold
« Last Edit: 09/11/2009 18:19:25 by Madidus_Scientia »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #17 on: 09/11/2009 18:49:24 »
Ooooh! I'll need to watch out for them here. Maybe you could see your way to sending me a couple of tankers? You are just across the Pacific from here.

BTW, do they serve beer by the liter litre liter there?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #18 on: 09/11/2009 19:37:05 »

Bored Chemist would not drink Glen Ord. No whiskey is produced in Scotland.
I'd drink it quite happily, but I generally prefer Irish and American whiskey to Scotch whisky.

BTW, Mazurka, if recent experinece with cider is anything to go by they will serve 500 ml and round it up to 568ml with ice (bastards!).

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #19 on: 09/11/2009 20:28:53 »
I'd drink it quite happily, but I generally prefer Irish and American whiskey to Scotch whisky.

Good! Helps to lower the price of Scotch. If you really want to go down another notch, you could always move on to Canadian.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #20 on: 10/11/2009 03:46:29 »

BTW, Mazurka, if recent experinece with cider is anything to go by they will serve 500 ml and round it up to 568ml with ice (bastards!).

An obvious typo. He meant to say "bar stewards".

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #21 on: 10/11/2009 16:29:37 »
Ooooh! I'll need to watch out for them here. Maybe you could see your way to sending me a couple of tankers? You are just across the Pacific from here.

BTW, do they serve beer by the liter litre liter there?

Well I wouldn't know where to buy a slab of it let alone a tanker, but yeah you can have it all I don't think it's very good :p

And no we don't typically serve beer in 1 litre form, but if you ask for a "tallie" you'll get 750ml.

What's everyone's favourite beer? I'll try find them in the foreign beers section this weekend and try them :) My favourite is Tooheys Extra Dry or even better Tooheys Extra Dry Platinum, i'm not sure if it's sold overseas or not.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #22 on: 10/11/2009 18:17:35 »
Well I wouldn't know where to buy a slab of it let alone a tanker, but yeah you can have it all I don't think it's very good :p

No. I didn't mean Foster's. I meant a couple of super-tankers full of the good stuff you drink! [:o)]

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How big is your pint?
« Reply #23 on: 10/11/2009 18:37:54 »
Haha, i'll see what I can do

The Naked Scientists Forum

How big is your pint?
« Reply #23 on: 10/11/2009 18:37:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums