The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Synaesthesia  (Read 5946 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Synaesthesia
« on: 21/09/2005 02:05:04 »
Why was Einstein so clever and creative, did he have a form of Synaesthesia the condition thatís links parts of the brain that are not normally wired together.
Could Synaesthesia be the next big step in human evolution. Have there ever been any studies into the condition and if so do we know if it can be passed on from father to son.

------------------------------------

People with Synaesthesia are able to visually see there thoughts and in some cases even smell and taste numbers, words or letters which the sufferer speaks or hears, given them an obvious advantage in learning over people without the condition.

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 21/09/2005 02:11:11 by ukmicky »

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
Re: Synaesthesia
« Reply #1 on: 21/09/2005 04:26:31 »
Could be, if it doesn't drive us mad first.

David

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/09/2005 19:55:49 »
I have a few friends who are synesthetes (sp?).... I get the impression that it's sometimes intersting/amusing but can be a bit annoying if the number nine is inextricably linked with the smell of baked beans and (real example here, tho' I forget the details) if the key of A flat minor is a shade of dark blue, playing from a pink photocopy of sheet music is more difficult than it has to be.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/09/2005 20:03:46 »
There was ample discussion here about Synaesthesia, if I can be arsed I'll search for it...but in the mean time there's a very tasty looking orange crayon that's just begging to be held....hmmm...orange crayon...hmmm !!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/09/2005 20:10:06 »

This paragraph was taken from this artcile: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/articles/article/marklythgoecolumn.htm

"The limitations of language have always been too apparent to me. As a child I was lucky enough to suffer from synaesthesia - I was able to taste shapes. Even though the scientific method can describe in detail why this happens, I can never explain to you the taste of the sharp pointed corners of a cube or a right-angled triangle, nor the taste of flatness of a solid plane as it melts on the end of my tongue. Clearly Nietzsche was on the right lines when he suggested that science describes the world in wondrous detail and complexity, yet disappointingly without ever really explaining anything"

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #5 on: 22/09/2005 02:23:59 »
Cheers Neil Iím just about to read the article now
-------------------

Also from what I have read earlier on the subject most synesthetes are happy with there abilities and would miss them if they went. I also read that Einstein was a synesthete. After he died his brain was also examined and several parts of it had brain tissue joining up parts of his brain that are not normally joined together.
So it seems Synaesthesia can have huge benefits for those with the condition if you go by Einsteinís example.
Maybe someone will find the gene or genes responsible and genetically engineer it into our kids in the future.

Designer babies maybe not in fashion now, but give it 50 to 100 years I bet it will become standard

Michael                                      

Offline FHLew

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://lewfh.tripod.com/
« Reply #6 on: 17/06/2006 07:09:37 »

Greetings

ukmicky wrote:

< Could Synaesthesia be the next big step in human evolution. Have there ever been any studies into the condition ...>

There is a holistic reawakening of late, on synaesthesia. A spate of scientific research has been going on regarding this neurological oddity. I am trained in holistic and orthodox medicine. I practise
medicine in Malaysia as a locum. I am doing research on the applied aspect of homeopathy on synaesthetic patients which I may be able to pick up in the  clinic outpatient.

newbielink:http://www.doctorhugo.org/synaesthesia/ [nonactive]

With regards
  Lew

Doctors merely assist. Only Mother Nature does the healing.

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/06/2006 05:32:39 »
this occurs with people on LSD trips... is it the same thing, or is it just the illusion of the real thing?

i guess it could help with learning and be interesting, and at the same time i wouldnt want to have it. what happens when your favorite song tastes like soap?

a side question= do these people have similar sensory combinations? because if all of these people see the key of A flat minor as dark blue, id say thats its color.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 20/06/2006 05:32:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums