The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Future Implications of Gene Therapy and Counseling?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Jonathan Madriaga

• View Profile
With new developments in Genetic engineering, many inherited disorders can be detected by such methods known as Gene therapy/counseling. Those who are in a high-risk group of family-related diseases can easily be treated by genetic manipulation. Soon to be mothers can learn about certain disorders that could be prone to their children. Although, ethical and social concerns this growing phenomenon. In my opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if science has taken it to the next level by creating your own 'perfect child' with favorable traits that will make them successful in the future. If anyone has seen the movie, Gattaca, I believe that this is what our world will follow if we do not make decisions regarding regulatory practices, etc. What do you guys think?

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
Future Implications of Gene Therapy and Counseling?
« Reply #1 on: 25/11/2009 11:03:01 »
I think you might be correct, but not as in the Gattaca movie.
In the beginning, when these gene therapy treatments are still new, they will be very expensive, but after a while, everyone (in the first world countries) will be financially able to have these therapies.

However, ethical debate will not allow creating your own perfect child, but will allow zygote manipulation to overcome genetic disorders.
But as long as our world stays capitalistic, there will be a black market for having your 'perfect child' anyway.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Future Implications of Gene Therapy and Counseling?
« Reply #1 on: 25/11/2009 11:03:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums