The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: ?Big Bang or Just A Stretch of Godís Imagination?  (Read 36202 times)

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
?Big Bang or Just A Stretch of Godís Imagination?
« Reply #75 on: 11/12/2009 14:01:18 »
Then i'd disagree with your number. Since it's already happened, the probability is 1.

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #76 on: 11/12/2009 14:04:05 »
1 in something else... You cannot by a mathematical rule define reality by a single number - hence you need to weigh that number across the vast possibilities. These are known mathematical rules.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 11/12/2009 14:14:41 »
I'm a labourer not a mathematician but surely you knew what I meant.

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #78 on: 11/12/2009 14:18:03 »
Sure - you are using what i call ''half-logic'' - taking reality to be a value of 1 requires that everything in the universe was determined at big bang - but since we can sit here and say there are certain statistics involved totally invalidates the use of just a value of 1. We are relative to 1 of many possibilities.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 11/12/2009 14:36:50 »
Fair enough then, how do you figure it is 10^10^123 to 1

Anyway, the fact that there's a puddle in a hole doesn't mean the hole was made for the puddle.
« Last Edit: 11/12/2009 14:50:32 by Madidus_Scientia »

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #80 on: 11/12/2009 14:52:47 »
The figure is from a Feynman Lecture.

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #81 on: 11/12/2009 14:53:45 »
Anyway, the fact that there's a puddle in a hole doesn't mean the hole was made for the puddle.

Could you rephrase this please?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 11/12/2009 16:14:31 »
Umm.. not really

It was referring to the point of my original quote of Douglas Adams

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #83 on: 11/12/2009 16:22:39 »
Douglas Adams is an author of sci-fi. I am sorry if i cannot take many of his contentions seriously.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #84 on: 11/12/2009 22:51:19 »
Douglas Adams is an author of sci-fi. I am sorry if i cannot take many of his contentions seriously.
You should. He was a freakin' genius!!!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la rťsistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 12/12/2009 00:18:39 »
You should. He was a freakin' genius!!!

I'm not sure Adams would have agreed that his works were sci-fi, although he might have. I think he was more of a brilliant satirist than anything; a latter day Johnathan Swift.

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #86 on: 12/12/2009 07:04:02 »
He was a brilliant eccentric at best.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #87 on: 12/12/2009 12:34:23 »
I'd settle for 'brilliant eccentric' on my tombstone!!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la rťsistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 12/12/2009 18:18:10 »
I'd settle for 'brilliant eccentric' on my tombstone!!

Based on the number of fans he has throughout the world, he may have been a lot closer to the center than many of us.

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #89 on: 12/12/2009 19:40:59 »
I guess.

Offline WunderingTruth

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 14/12/2009 10:18:02 »
I don't really chose to deny any god - they're all welcome to provide evidence for their existence if they do, indeed, exist.
God is welcome to provide evidence? He has provided his creation, he has spoken by Moses and by his prophets, The words of his prophets have never failed, the prophesies are unfolding, and just as God spoke, the blind will not see.

God knows his own children and he will reveal himself in his righteousness to them and through them.

Do you not see how a belief in a deity could skew your perceptions of reality?  Do you not appreciate that this is what science is for, to attempt to find objective descriptions of reality? (technically inter-subjective, but that's as close to objective as humans can get).
My perception of reality is by seeing through the eyes of God, and being the heart of God, and having the mind of God. God has revealed himself and his kingdom to me. I speak of the things I see, not of things I have learned. The things I see of God has erased the etch a sketch of my mind, and the darkness of this world, by revelation and light.

Try to reconsider the physics you're promoting starting with no assumptions - you have started with the assumption of the existence of a deity, so the end results will all be subject to that assumption.  Trying to rid yourself of assumptions is part of the art of science.
I'm not promoting any physics, I have only shared what God has revealed to me, and what I clearly see. I can see what God has done, what God is doing, and what God is going to do. I see how and why God created darkness and evil, I dwell in the light of God, passing through the darkness of time, until I receive The Kingdom.

Offline WunderingTruth

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 14/12/2009 10:36:27 »
You see how crazy that sounds?

To 'not rely on logic' seems to be just plain mistaken by definition.

My original statement
I am not just relying on logic. I know the purpose of all things. God is my father and he has revealed himself and his purpose to me. How he created all things is not as important as why. I'm waiting to find a heart that wants to see, because the mind can never understand what the heart can not see.
Logic is not all I have to rely on. I followed logic all the way to revelation and understanding.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 15/12/2009 06:57:51 »
Well evidently not, if you think the fact that there is something instead of nothing is evidence of a god.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 15/12/2009 10:42:41 »
I don't really chose to deny any god - they're all welcome to provide evidence for their existence if they do, indeed, exist.
God is welcome to provide evidence? He has provided his creation, he has spoken by Moses and by his prophets, The words of his prophets have never failed, the prophesies are unfolding, and just as God spoke, the blind will not see.

God knows his own children and he will reveal himself in his righteousness to them and through them.

Do you not see how a belief in a deity could skew your perceptions of reality?  Do you not appreciate that this is what science is for, to attempt to find objective descriptions of reality? (technically inter-subjective, but that's as close to objective as humans can get).
My perception of reality is by seeing through the eyes of God, and being the heart of God, and having the mind of God. God has revealed himself and his kingdom to me. I speak of the things I see, not of things I have learned. The things I see of God has erased the etch a sketch of my mind, and the darkness of this world, by revelation and light.

Try to reconsider the physics you're promoting starting with no assumptions - you have started with the assumption of the existence of a deity, so the end results will all be subject to that assumption.  Trying to rid yourself of assumptions is part of the art of science.
I'm not promoting any physics, I have only shared what God has revealed to me, and what I clearly see. I can see what God has done, what God is doing, and what God is going to do. I see how and why God created darkness and evil, I dwell in the light of God, passing through the darkness of time, until I receive The Kingdom.

So you do see how all of your ideas are biased by your belief in your chosen deity - good.  This means that you appreciate that your opinions are probably at odds with an objective description of reality.  With that out of the way, I think we can move on.

Offline WunderingTruth

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 15/12/2009 13:16:42 »

So you do see how all of your ideas are biased by your belief in your chosen deity - good.  This means that you appreciate that your opinions are probably at odds with an objective description of reality.  With that out of the way, I think we can move on.
Yes you can keep your head stuck up your own ass and move on.  ::)

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 15/12/2009 14:44:00 »
You have failed to address most of our points, maybe it is you who has the cranial rectosis.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 15/12/2009 15:21:51 »
I have to agree with Madidus.  Either way, I think this thread has run it's course, don't you?
« Last Edit: 15/12/2009 23:05:49 by BenV »

Offline WunderingTruth

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 18/12/2009 23:18:02 »
All of this being the universe? No, I don't. I think we're the most tiny insignificant spec of dust. Do you think all of this is about us? A god created the whole vast universe just for a few primates who think they're special somehow?

As Douglas Adams said, assuming that the universe has been created for us is rather like a puddle waking up one day and saying: 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'
OK, you think you are a speck of dust, Douglas Adams thinks he is a puddle, I know I am God's son. I will bow my ego before my creator now and receive his kingdom ( my inheritance as his firstborn ) and glorify God ( my father ). You can bow before him later and explain all of your points then.

You have failed to address most of our points, maybe it is you who has the cranial rectosis.
You don't seem to have any points to address. I doubt that you have even read my debate, if you did you must have read it with your eyes closed. There is not a point that has been brought up that I have not addressed.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 19/12/2009 00:51:35 »
Ok, what about this one
The human brain is not perfect and is prone to hallucination and misinterpretation. Like any machine it can malfunction. Can you accept this possibility? If you are not relying on logic and believing purely because "God has revealed himself to you" then what's the difference between you and someone hopped up on LSD claiming they've just seen a unicorn being ridden by the easter bunny?

Offline WunderingTruth

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 20/12/2009 18:49:03 »
I've not seen any hallucinations since I did some good LSD back in the seventies. I have received logic, along with revelations. I will admit smoking a good blunt does clear my mind and helps me to see clearer.[8D] People who only dwell in the darkness of their imagination will not understand truth. Debating someone with no life in their heart is futile, it's just an endless circle of words. 
what's the difference between you and someone hopped up on LSD claiming they've just seen a unicorn being ridden by the easter bunny?
I've been discussing this question on other forums.If your interested check them out.

http://www.captaincynic.com/thread/86343/2/christianity-is-dead-now-what-.htm#86909 [nofollow]

http://dissidentphilosophy.lifediscussion.net/religion-f4/revelation-revealed-debate-started-from-crosswalk-forum-t966.htm [nofollow]
« Last Edit: 20/12/2009 19:06:06 by WunderingTruth »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #99 on: 20/12/2009 18:49:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums