The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do I sometimes see flashes of light or see stars when I yawn?  (Read 17307 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
YAWN !!!....well...why do I ?

Often , after a nice long yawn...I see flashes of light, just tiny specks in my peripheral vision !!...what's that all about ? and am I the only one ?.

..it last's anything from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes and decreases in quantity of sparkles !

<font color="blue">Men are the same as women.... just inside out !! </font id="blue">
« Last Edit: 20/04/2009 11:50:40 by chris »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
hello Neil

its me again:D i very much doubt i'm right but i'm bored so i will give it a go.

I have not experienced the effect personally but maybe when you yawn it puts presure on the optic nerve or retina which the brain then interperates as a flash.

If the flashing effect goes on for any length of time maybe you should go an get your eyes checked,just in case. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Michael

ROBERT

Hi Neilep,
Your own doctor, who knows you & your family’s medical history, is best placed to advise you on the significance of this symptom.

However here is my suggestion for a possible explanation.
The “seeing stars” symptom you describe is similar to that sometimes experienced by people when they stand up too quickly, this is due to a temporary insufficiency of blood flow to the head.

If you are experiencing this symptom when you yawn then this could be explained by the presence of a “double chin”. When yawning your wide open jaw squeezes any excess adipose tissue under your chin against your neck, this could compress the blood vessels in your neck reducing the blood flow to your head, producing the “seeing stars” symptom.

[I am not in a position to lecture anyone on corpulence:
 I have more Chins than the  Beijing telephone directory].

The bad news: like me, you probably need to lose some weight.
The good news: you probably do NOT have hypERtension, if you had high blood pressure you would probably not experience this symptom.

If my explanation is correct you could avoid this symptom by minimising the pressure yawning puts on you neck by tilting your head back, rather than forward, when you yawn.
« Last Edit: 13/12/2005 16:55:35 by ROBERT »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Robert !

Do you have cameras installed in my house ?

Corpulent ?..Yes (well..not excessive but I need to lose about 30lbs)

Double Chin ?..Yes

Stars when I stand up too quickly ?...yes (not all the time ..just occasionally)

I shall follow your advice when yawning and lean back (unless i'm driving that is !)

Thanks...and thanks Michael too.

Neil

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
I'm going to say its probably more due to the "seeing stars" phenomenon that you experience when you rub your eyes hard, or when you get hit hard in the head, taht your rods and cones are physically stimulated, just not by photons, so they're not sure exactly how to respond.  the strain in your facial muscles from yawning is probably somehow giving a small amount of physical stimulus to your eyes.

p.s.  hi neil!!  first post since april!!  I had to make sure it was one of YOUR questions. ;)

Are YOUR mice nude? ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Justy...YAYYYY !!...welcome back.

Your answer rings true too.

I do hope this is more than a fleeting visit me old fly fancying chum !

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums