The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Attraction in relation to appearance  (Read 49098 times)

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
Attraction in relation to appearance
« on: 24/09/2005 00:11:22 »
What makes people attracted to other people based on appearence? How does a person determine what is attractive: hormones, culture, pheremones or a combination. Just an interesting topic...

NLJB

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
Re: Attraction in relation to appearance
« Reply #1 on: 24/09/2005 01:28:07 »
The light behind the eyes that says "someone is home", and the smile on the face that says "and you are welcomed"

David
« Last Edit: 24/09/2005 01:28:52 by David Sparkman »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #2 on: 24/09/2005 01:33:59 »
Many things. nice hair, attractive smile, nice eyes, clean teeth, big ummmmmmmmmmmmmm breasts, firm bum [fanny if if your american], great legs,

Michael                                      

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/09/2005 02:42:21 »
Brief answer.

Culture most certainly plays a big big part in what you determine is attractive, at the same time there is an inherent instinct that is also at work…a primitive knowledge that acts as a guide for what is pretty and what is ugly, good…bad….healthy…unhealthy !!...it is part of our primitive make-up that assists us…..the reason ?.. I suspect it’s procreation !

The differences other cultures have in what they deem attractive are many and varied…..some cultures (particularly isolated ones) prefer, what we would consider, completely unattractive physical appearance …and likewise too…….. I’m sure you’ve seen the pictures and documentaries of the physical attributes

But, you’re getting at the heart of the matter and certainly there are many aspects of ‘ attraction’ which are universal .

And there are other forms of attraction too of course, intelligence, personality…but you know that already,

But I suppose the really really short answer is that Physical  Attractiveness is what you subjectively perceive to be pleasing to the eye based on what you consider to be physically pleasing...based on variables such as culture and instinct.

I suppose alternative questions may also be asked of taste and smell eh ?
So, you gonna post a piccy now ????...Yayyyy !!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/09/2005 18:45:11 »
<Many things. nice hair, attractive smile, nice eyes, clean teeth, big ummmmmmmmmmmmmm breasts, firm bum [fanny if if your american], great legs,

Michael>

OK  : WE DON'T SAY FANNY IN AMERICA, jeez GET THE FACTS: WE JUST SAY ASS! Damn brits

"How would you live your life if no one was watching?"- One of those friggin posters

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 25/09/2005 17:10:29 »
Also symmetry or more specifically asymmetry of the face and body proportions based on the golden ratio is important.. The more distorted the proportions are from the norm the more "ugly" someone is seen to be. Anything else is down to personal preference which is going to be specific to the social development of each individual. I don’t think it’s at all hard wired in, like preferring a certain hair colour etc. I bet that’s probably driven by the media now…

Lies Americans say "fanny pack" instead of bum bag! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny
« Last Edit: 25/09/2005 17:14:06 by Ultima »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/09/2005 17:38:39 »
HANG ON !!...Fanny is in old english slang....Pu_ssy !!

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25/09/2005 21:32:59 »

God fanny packs went out in the friggin 80's or was it 90's? hmmmm...Well all that matters is NO ONE SAYS FANNY ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND NO ONE WEARS FANNY PACKS.

-"science |?s??ns| noun the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment"- the dictionary

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 25/09/2005 23:24:21 »
hahahaha someone mentioning fanny packs makes me piss myself laughing :D

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26/09/2005 00:30:56 »
Come on Nina get with the time's darling.

Just like the mini skirt made a triumphant return ,now the word fanny is back in vogue.

My daughter was watching the TV program America's next top model and i heard them using the word while talking

about a models bum. :)

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 26/09/2005 00:31:23 by ukmicky »

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26/09/2005 00:37:16 »
GOD, DON'T TRY TO PRETEND YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT AMERICAN CULTURE IF YOU DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm telling you no one says fanny! There all P*icks on that show: thats the only reason they say fanny....I refuse to continue this argument with someone who obviously underestimates the horrendously out-of-date fashion trend know spectacularly as the FANNY PACK: and that was only called the fanny pack cause there too polite to say a** like normal Americas :-P

-"science |?s??ns| noun the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment"- the dictionary

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26/09/2005 02:01:10 »

Quite a fanny one dont you think :)
Michael
« Last Edit: 26/09/2005 02:13:45 by ukmicky »

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26/09/2005 02:09:31 »
THAT IS AN ASS I TELL YOU AN ASS A-S-S NOT A FRIGGIN FANNY!!!!!!!!!! Hmm...Never in my life (I will hope)  I will I see that part of Bart simpson's anatomy... OH the vulagity...any nuns on this forum? hehe

« Last Edit: 28/09/2005 20:28:10 by NLJB »

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26/09/2005 02:11:05 »
Oh and on that show: America's next top model, it was the gay guy that said fanny.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26/09/2005 02:35:51 »
So you watch the program do you.:)

I don't know what episode you watched , and we're probably a bit BEHIND you over here :)

but on the show i saw it was a woman.:)

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 26/09/2005 02:41:14 by ukmicky »

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26/09/2005 20:06:07 »
Actually, I don't but my niece does... YOU watch it? hmmm...anyway Like I said No one says fanny and the question I asked was more directed TO WHY people like, how did you said it:
"Many things. nice hair, attractive smile, nice eyes, clean teeth, big ummmmmmmmmmmmmm breasts, firm bum [fanny if if your american], great legs- ukmickey"
 OH YEAH, ;) I remeber now! hmmm.. so what I wanted to know was WHY you find this attractive, and how much of this attractiveness is cultrural, are the cultrural factors dominate?

« Last Edit: 28/09/2005 20:23:38 by NLJB »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #16 on: 26/09/2005 21:47:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by NLJB

...AMERICAN CULTURE...

American Culture. Jesus, you'll be telling me the pope's a muslim next.

Chris;)

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26/09/2005 21:50:53 »
:D Come on, McDonalds, obesity, fanny packs, trashy shows, it took YEARS to build that empire!! Give us some credit...hahaha ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28/09/2005 22:29:44 »
quote:

:D Come on, McDonalds, obesity, fanny packs, trashy shows, it took YEARS to build that empire!! Give us some credit...hahaha ;)

Well....I'm convinced, *sigh*

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29/09/2005 03:12:38 »
I am very persuasive...hahaha

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29/09/2005 13:46:13 »
quote:

I am very persuasive...hahaha

You most certainly are Dr Nina Mam.[:X]

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30/09/2005 00:37:29 »
Thank you kindly!

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01/10/2005 02:14:07 »
Physical attraction - it all comes down to mathematics - the golden ratio.
See:
http://plus.maths.org/issue22/features/golden/

« Last Edit: 01/10/2005 02:15:55 by Solvay_1927 »

Offline NLJB

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01/10/2005 02:48:49 »
Hmmm...that was really interesting...the golden ratio...I shall learn more about this concept!

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24/10/2005 13:03:17 »
Fairness was popular then tan. It is a matter of opinion, my cousin like fair Chinese her mum was racist. I like red heads, my mum dislikes them. Growing up in India made her like dark looks. I like very fair looks. And my own stock.

Titanscape

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 24/10/2005 13:03:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length