The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Jack and Jill poem - any truth in this?  (Read 7427 times)

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
Jack and Jill poem - any truth in this?
« on: 15/11/2009 01:21:59 »
The roots of the story, or poem,  of Jack and Jill  are in France. Jack and Jill referred to are said to be King Louis XVI - Jack -who was beheaded (lost his crown) ....
http://www.rhymes.org.uk/jack_and_jill.htm

Reading on it states:
.... Consciousness remains for at least eight seconds after beheading until lack of oxygen causes unconsciousness and eventually death.

Is there any truth in this? And if you die happy, would you be laughing your head off?

« Last Edit: 15/11/2009 02:07:52 by FuzzyUK »

Ethos

« Reply #1 on: 15/11/2009 03:14:39 »
The roots of the story, or poem,  of Jack and Jill  are in France. Jack and Jill referred to are said to be King Louis XVI - Jack -who was beheaded (lost his crown) ....
http://www.rhymes.org.uk/jack_and_jill.htm

Reading on it states:
.... Consciousness remains for at least eight seconds after beheading until lack of oxygen causes unconsciousness and eventually death.

Is there any truth in this? And if you die happy, would you be laughing your head off?

I believe this to be true. During the French Inquisition, it was noted in many cases of beheadings that the unfortunate individuals mouth would continue to move as though they were still trying to communicate. This would naturally only last for a brief period of time and as you have already suggested, when the lack of oxygen reached the critical level, the individual would pass on.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/11/2009 04:14:02 »
I don't think there was a French Inquisition. Wouldn't Monty Python have had something to say about it?

Ethos

« Reply #3 on: 15/11/2009 16:23:49 »
I don't think there was a French Inquisition. Wouldn't Monty Python have had something to say about it?
Actually, the French Inquisition was very active in the 13th century my friend........................

Offline Pwee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/11/2009 17:00:58 »
It is said that Antoine Lavoisier also known as the father of modern chemistry performed his last experience while being beheaded.
He said to his apprentice that after his head falls down, he will blink until he is still conscious. The observers noticed him blinking several times after being beheaded (I don't know the exact number of blinks).

The actual validity of this experiment is controversial as it is noted here too:
Part of the problem is that we can't actually test this. While one of the other answerers has cited a popular anecdote regarding blinking after decapitation to indicate life, there's a major problem with it. When your spinal column is severed near the base of the brain (as it is with a guillotine), it puts pressure on the basal portions of the brain, causing the nerve cells there to fire rapidly. As it turns out, many of the motor neurons responsible for the disinhibiting eyelids "blinking" are in this area. Many people blink constantly after being beheaded, not just those who say they will.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/11/2009 17:31:46 »
Were you thinking of trying to reattach the severed head ? ...

In 1963, a group of scientists from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio, led by Robert J. White, a neurosurgeon and a professor of neurological surgery who was inspired by the work of Vladimir Demikhov, performed a highly controversial operation to transplant the head of one monkey onto another's body. The procedure was a success to some extent, with the animal being able to smell, taste, hear, and see the world around it. The operation involved cauterizing arteries and veins carefully while the head was being severed to prevent hypovolemia. Because the nerves were left entirely intact, connecting the brain to a blood supply kept it chemically alive. The animal survived for some time after the operation, even at times attempting to bite some of the staff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_transplant

{Some gory anecdotes on decapitated humans.}
« Last Edit: 15/11/2009 17:39:25 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/11/2009 18:15:42 »
Actually, the French Inquisition was very active in the 13th century my friend........................
I'll have to look that up then. Thanks!

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25/11/2009 13:59:16 »
It is said that Antoine Lavoisier also known as the father of modern chemistry performed his last experience while being beheaded. He said to his apprentice that after his head falls down, he will blink until he is still conscious. The observers noticed him blinking several times after being beheaded (I don't know the exact number of blinks).

Did he end up with a blinking headache after being beheaded?

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #8 on: 25/11/2009 14:52:09 »
I heard it was 20 seconds of excruciating pain...

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25/11/2009 18:38:10 »
From whom, and how?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26/11/2009 01:51:32 »
LOL...
From whom, and how?
LOL....point well made...

I thought they always bagged the head for those unsightly reactions so there was no viewing of the facial expressions on the face of the decapitated head? Thats is so gross... Gag me with a spoon.... yucky!

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #11 on: 26/11/2009 08:14:45 »
From whom, and how?

From my history teacher in secondary school when we were given a lecture about torture and death in the medieval times. It was a cool teacher, the boys in the class really liked him, but the girls didn't :)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26/11/2009 20:12:27 »
Did he wear a lot of leather and stuff?

I had teachers who specialized in medieval torture right there in the classroom. They carried leather weapons (belts) over their shoulder so they could draw them like a revolver to terrorize the pupils. You didn't just get belted for misbehaving. You could get belted for failing tests.

It put me right off chemistry! I never could balance those stinking equations.

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30/11/2009 00:42:36 »
Did he wear a lot of leather and stuff?

I had teachers who specialized in medieval torture right there in the classroom.

That's called BDSM

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #14 on: 01/12/2009 06:55:37 »
No, in fact the teacher i had was only 1.50m high, weighed about 45 Kg and his only way to preserve order in the classroom was by telling interesting stuff.

So the 20 seconds of excruciating pain was one of those interesting extras to keep us quiet..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 01/12/2009 06:55:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums