The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Human Growth Hormone  (Read 5788 times)

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Human Growth Hormone
« on: 11/07/2003 07:14:44 »
Anyone out there aware of studies with Human Growth Hormone?  I've read some using the injectable hormone, but what about the stuff that's being sold in the healthfood stores that's supposed to stimulate your body's own production.  Anyone know of any studies to back that up?  And what about side effects?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Human Growth Hormone
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2003 12:32:01 »
Well, adults with too much growth hormones develop the condition "acromegaly". Therefore, if you fancy developing spade-like hands, a wide forehead, heavy jaw, diabetes and high blood pressure...go for it !

chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/07/2003 17:35:02 »
Dr. Chris,
You are too funny.  No, I don't fancy developing all those characteristics.  I just have friends who use the health food store versions, that are supposed to stimulate your body's production of human growth hormone.  My first question was if that is possible or just a bogus claim.  The second concern was could it be harmful?  Could you actually overproduce and cause the acromegaly by taking the oral versions?  By the way, I love the Marx Brothers.

Bezoar

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/07/2003 19:29:28 »
I've heard that taking a human growth hormone makes you go through a second puberty so you end up with more body hair than Fatima Whitbread!

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/07/2003 20:02:03 »
Hi Bezoar,

You can take the amino acid arginine to encourage your own body to produce HGH.

I haven't used HGH supplement (yet) because it regulates numerous functions (bone strength, brain function, organ health, enzyme production, cell replacement...) and should be researched fully before use.

The information I have says that it strengthens the immune system.  It also promotes tissue repair, so supplements should be taken with it to give the body nutrients required for that construction project.  I would like to know what the long term results are for people who take HGH.  

Sometimes taking a particular supplement seems to help for a month or so, then it stops working so well and another problem pops up.  My theory is that this is like robbing Peter to pay Paul.  The supplement you take may leech some other nutrient from another part of your body.  When that other nutrient peters out (pardon the pun) the supplement "stops working" and you have another problem to resolve.

If you come across any good resources on the subject, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.  

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/07/2003 14:47:37 »
Be happy to let you know.  I'm still looking but everything I find on the Internet is a promo for the product.  Not very useful.  I'm looking for some real studies as to whether or not any of the supplements actually do stimulate HGH, to what degree, and what the side effects, as well as the healthful effects they brag about, are. Seems there must be a reason your body decreases the production of HGH, or is it just part of the aging process that we could reverse?

Bezoar

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #6 on: 14/07/2003 21:41:12 »
Growth hormone is crucial to life. Levels follow a circadian rhythm, that is, they are linked to your body clock. There is a reason for this and it is stupid to fiddle with it. There are no properly controlled trials of growth hormone supplementation in adults apart from, of course, in deficient individuals. Nor is there any evidence, that I am aware of, that taking other substances by mouth boosts production of HGH. The best way to increase your production of growth hormone is to take some exercise - it comes a fraction of the cost of these ridiculous rip offs flogged by spammers on the internet.

Rant over.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/07/2003 03:58:31 »
Here's a link to an "L-argenine" info page.

http://www.nzhealth.net.nz/products/l_arginine.html

Interesting stuff.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 15/07/2003 03:58:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums