The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you name the element which can bond with carbon and avoid pollution ?  (Read 5983 times)

Kiran The King Kai

Can you name the element which can bond with carbon and avoid pollution ?
I watch Discovery channel so I have learned cool stuff about this ...

An element which can trap carbon atoms from our automobiles !
can save our planet from pollution.
But we can't use it cos of personal reasons !

What is it ?

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
There's an excellent element available for 'trapping' carbon atoms - it's called oxygen!

The problem isn't elemental carbon per se, it's the fact we're releasing tons of 'old' carbon in a very short time in the form of greenhouse gases.

If you mean to find an element that is going to strip carbon atoms away from oxygen after we have used fossil fuels that contain it to do work then you are going to use at least as much energy extracting this other element anyway.

Geological carbon (coal & oil) should be seen, from mankind's perspective, as an enormous battery storing epochs of sunlight that the Earth has handily been 'charging' up for us.

The only option is to leave the remaining coal & oil in the ground and use today's sunlight (in one form or another) for our power needs.
« Last Edit: 18/11/2009 10:36:21 by peppercorn »

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
I myself am a big fan of Algae fuel

Kiran The King Kai

There's an excellent element available for 'trapping' carbon atoms - it's called oxygen!

The problem isn't elemental carbon per se, it's the fact we're releasing tons of 'old' carbon in a very short time in the form of greenhouse gases.

If you mean to find an element that is going to strip carbon atoms away from oxygen after we have used fossil fuels that contain it to do work then you are going to use at least as much energy extracting this other element anyway.

Geological carbon (coal & oil) should be seen, from mankind's perspective, as an enormous battery storing epochs of sunlight that the Earth has handily been 'charging' up for us.

The only option is to leave the remaining coal & oil in the ground and use today's sunlight (in one form or another) for our power needs.
Ok that's your chemistry explanation shell I say the answer ?

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
Oooh, I didn't know you already had the answer!  Does that mean you were running a competition?  Do I get I prize if I was right!!

Kiran The King Kai

Oooh, I didn't know you already had the answer!  Does that mean you were running a competition?  Do I get I prize if I was right!!
Well,well it's Platinum.
but Platinum is so costly.
so much expensive !
This is successful to block carbon avoiding carbon to enter into atmosphere.
It was used as prototype.
Watch Discovery channel !
some experts told this.
but it failed due to it's expensive nature and difficult in production of carbon.
layer of Pt can really trap carbon from automobiles.

Kiran The King Kai

I could not find article for this but I have this link

http://www.platinum.matthey.com/news-archive/expert-highlights-platinum-s-role-in-carbon-dioxide-recycling/expert_highlights_platinums_role_in_carbon_dioxide_recycling_19214338.html

Kiran The King Kai

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter3.htm
this is the best !

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
Well,well it's Platinum.
Platinum here
[platinums_role_in_carbon_dioxide_recycling]
is acting as a catalyst.

In other words it is assisting the reaction to turn CO2 & salt water into formic acid.  The platinum does not get used up in the reaction and no actual chemical bonds are formed with it.

This is an interesting means to recycle carbon dioxide, but do note the article mentions the need for electricity in causing the reaction to take place.

Personally, I think even the term 'recycle' is misleading unless the amount of electrical energy is less than it would be if carrying out this reaction away from the places suggested (coal plants, cement plants, petroleum refineries) where the excess energy requirement might be provided by 'waste' heat.

layer of Pt can really trap carbon from automobiles
This technology certainly could never be effective for cars - the scale is too small.
« Last Edit: 18/11/2009 15:32:58 by peppercorn »

Kiran The King Kai

yeah,that's what I am saying !
it's too expensive.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
it's too expensive.
Strange. I didn't even mention cost  ???

Kiran The King Kai

it's too expensive.
Strange. I didn't even mention cost  ???
I mean something other than that.
It's very difficult to produce it.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
There isn't enough Pt to combine with and trap anythung like all the carbon we produce.

Kiran The King Kai

There isn't enough Pt to combine with and trap anythung like all the carbon we produce.
Yes,sir that's what I am saying.
pt is in less production.
very difficult to manufacture.
I watched in Discovery channel.
it's cool.
Do you watch Discovery channel ? or history channel ? animal planet ?
and
sir,Why you did not reply to my messages ?

ScientificBoyZClub

Yes,sir that's what I am saying.
pt is in less production.
very difficult to manufacture.
I watched in Discovery channel.
it's cool.
Do you watch Discovery channel ? or history channel ? animal planet ?
and
sir,Why you did not reply to my messages ?
Pt is so expensive too LOL

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums