The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Did this week's Naked Scientists contain male bovine faecal matter?  (Read 10303 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Sorry I don't own a boat :p

No, I meant you to take your plane. All Australians have planes so they can get around those gigantic sheep stations, don't they?

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
I am in fact very happy that the Naked Scientist is free of fecal matter of any kind.

I'm not sure I would go that far!  ;D

Anyway, 2015 feet, ....erm, I meant to say 614 m

Are you sure it's not 6.14 meters? Those d. points are tricky bastards. Why is it when they make mistakes on paychecks it's always moving the d point to the left instead of the right?

That's not completely true. I once got a paycheck for $5589.50 for what my pay should have been $558.95. I took my check to payroll and asked if I was getting a bonus. The head of payroll said I had been issued a bonus, when I said that a $5000 bonus was very nice, they drew me a new check for $600. The bonus was suppose to be 10% but it was made 1000% by mistake. Oh well. At least I got some bonus.

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• View Profile
I have every intention of continuing to overlook the effect of an increase in circumference that's roughly in proportion to the change in radius from 6378.1 km to 6378.2 km, not least because I live about 100m above sea level

You may also want to overlook the fact that as the ice on Antarctica, and Greenland come to that, melts, the land surface will rise because it has a lot less weight to support. This increase in elevation will offset some of the tendency for the remaining ice to melt, but I doubt that it will be all that significant.

Where are all the geologists when we need them? Off playing with their rocks, I suspect.

BTW, at 100m you'll be pretty much "beachfront".

This land rise will take several million years to take place. The land in southern Canada and Northern US is still rising quite quickly after thick glaciers melted away in North America at the end of the last ice age.

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• View Profile

No, I meant you to take your plane. All Australians have planes so they can get around those gigantic sheep stations, don't they?

Hey "mate" not all Australians live in the bush. Did you know that Australia is one of the only countries to lose a head of state in the 20th Century? I don't have the name handy but can add it later when I have time to look it up. One of their presidents went for a dip in the ocean and disappeared. His body was never recovered. Can you imagine how THAT was explained? I know Australians tend to be a little laid back, but come on!

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
We don't have heads of state or presidents, we have Prime Ministers, but yes I believe you refer to Harold Holt who drowned at Cheviot Beach. Of course there are all kinds of theories that he faked his own death etc. but the fact is Cheviot beach is notorious for rip tides and the surf was heavy at the time, even the strongest of swimmers can find themselves in trouble before they know it.

Oh, yes of course. Unfortunately my plane is not in working order at the moment, it was damaged by bunyips
« Last Edit: 24/11/2009 04:10:37 by Madidus_Scientia »

Offline Laura_Kelly

• View Profile
I would try and tease you for the bunyips, but as New Zealand will pretty much be underwater, I might have to jump ship so to speak.
It would be so much better if the sea levels fell, we would gain land instead of contantly losing it.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Oh, yes of course. Unfortunately my plane is not in working order at the moment, it was damaged by bunyips

Look out! You can be sure they left a defugalty in your nav system. And don't be surprised if they reversed the thread on the prop so it falls of the first time you try to use it.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Nah, she'll be right mate!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums