The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is "A Pocket Full Of Acorns" ?  (Read 57556 times)

Andrew K Fletcher

• KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
    • Operation OASIS
Bass Great photographs showing dedication and common sense environmentalism

Fantastic work, far better covered in trees for the wildlife and for preventing flash floods further down the road.

We don't need a pat on the back for our efforts it's enough to stand among those trees and think of nothing more than the eye candy and sun on our backs.

Thanks for posting the pictures Bass

Andrew

Post by rosy click to view.

rosy

• Chemistry
    • View Profile
Andrew..
One of the forum rules is that we ask that all posts be (primarily) English language, we don't have the resources to moderate foreign language posts, and although in the case of the above article in (presumably) Thai I am reasonably confident there is nothing anyone need worry about, that position has to be maintained so that we can enforce it elsewhere. Please post a translation instead.

litespeed

• View Profile
Andrew:

Do you attempt to recreate primeval mixed forest, or do you specialize in Oak? Either way the more hardwoods the better. In the states we have something called Arbor day when people plant trees. I don't know much about it.  However, we have a LOT of land area that is returning to nature since it does not lend itself to industrial farming.

My local stomping grounds in NE Ohio is one good example. The farm land seems to have been divied up three ways. 1) Some of it is absorbed into larger farms; 2) Some of it is subdivided for suburban housing; an 3) Some of it has simply been abandoned from agricultural or suburban development.

The wildlife tell the story. When I was a kid we trapped Muskrat out of the swamps for extra money. I don't think anyone traps them anymore. Whatever. Even the beavers have returned and are now a nuisance, as are deer.

Thats progress. Keep up the good work!

Post by Andrew K Fletcher click to view.

Andrew K Fletcher

• KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
    • Operation OASIS
Hi Rosy

The post in Thai is a direct translation to Thai from the original pocket full of acorns project. There is nothing to worry about in the text, although I do understand your concerns.

This project is aimed at schools to encourage children to plant trees, nothing more than that.

Andrew..
One of the forum rules is that we ask that all posts be (primarily) English language, we don't have the resources to moderate foreign language posts, and although in the case of the above article in (presumably) Thai I am reasonably confident there is nothing anyone need worry about, that position has to be maintained so that we can enforce it elsewhere. Please post a translation instead.

Andrew K Fletcher

• KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
    • Operation OASIS
Andrew:

Do you attempt to recreate primeval mixed forest, or do you specialize in Oak? Either way the more hardwoods the better. In the states we have something called Arbor day when people plant trees. I don't know much about it.  However, we have a LOT of land area that is returning to nature since it does not lend itself to industrial farming.

My local stomping grounds in NE Ohio is one good example. The farm land seems to have been divied up three ways. 1) Some of it is absorbed into larger farms; 2) Some of it is subdivided for suburban housing; an 3) Some of it has simply been abandoned from agricultural or suburban development.

The wildlife tell the story. When I was a kid we trapped Muskrat out of the swamps for extra money. I don't think anyone traps them anymore. Whatever. Even the beavers have returned and are now a nuisance, as are deer.

Thats progress. Keep up the good work!

Thanks litespeed.

Yes I do encourage planting of hardwoods, where ever possible, monculture cash crops while useful can increase the chances of fires, mixed planting can create fire breaks and afford firefighters with a chance of bringing the fires under control sooner.

My goal is to begin at the coastline, planting new forests so that moisture from the ocean can cross onto the land and fall as rain. Hot barron sandy coastlines look great but provide a thermal barrier which prevents moisture crossing onto the land and falling as rain when temperatures drop. This means that inland forrest does not receive sufficient rainfall. Common sense I know, but sadly lacking in many governments.

Andrew
« Last Edit: 29/01/2010 09:31:11 by Andrew K Fletcher »

Post by BenV click to view.

BenV

• View Profile
There is nothing to worry about in the text, although I do understand your concerns.
In that case, acknowledge them by doing as she asks.

Andrew K Fletcher

• KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
    • Operation OASIS
https://docs.google.com/a/operationoasis.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7DbpaEf1J4IZDFkZjJjMWItOWI4Yy00OTczLWJlZjgtYmNkMjJiM2E0YmEx  You may have to click twice if the first click fails (large document)
Link to the history of A Pocket Full Of Acorns, together with news cuttings etc
« Last Edit: 19/02/2012 22:26:16 by Andrew K Fletcher »

Andrew K Fletcher

• KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
    • Operation OASIS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNSoqLO4irQ   New video New Initiative for coastal erosion using community grown trees as a living bio-shield.

Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
This reminds me of a book I read called The Man Who Planted Tree's.

menageriemanor

• View Profile
I'm doing my best in oz, but many trees aren't surviving the summer heat and droughts.  I have a few oaks here, as they are less flammable, close to my house, but they really struggle and barely produce acorns, and I have fought so hard to bring them back from insect attack, when weakened. It's heartbreaking when the state next door is suffering from flood, in parts.  So many trees under stress won't come back in our awful fires.

No relation, no reason but that I found this last week, and have become addicted... I've been humming this gardening, composting, improving soil, driving, scrounging at the tip...

If you like Paul Simon, this is a bit like a young Paul Simon, unplugged, about our planet in trouble and the collective refusal of over half the planet's most intelligent species to drum up the energy to comprehend/care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FsAw8HeSvU

Starts quietly, and is always gentle, and I find instead of making myself distressed, thinking the same thing, I get a tiny comfort at the pretty gentle tune, and hoping that the unthinking, hearing, singing along, might get a first doubt at their smug complacency.

Andrew K Fletcher

• KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
    • Operation OASIS
Hello Menageriemanor from OZ, thoroughly enjoyed listening to the tune. Do you live on the coast?

SMF 2.0 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines