The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can I make the 'perfect' cup of rosie-lee & not have to wait for it to cool?  (Read 3352 times)

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
Being a Brit who loves his cup o'char I tend to make a dozen or so cups a day.

To make the perfect tea requires (supposedly) a warmed pot with just boiled water.

Although tea bags are generally frowned upon for the perfect tea, I find them alot more convenient and I can get about 2-3 good cups out of the 'clipper' bags.

Saying that, my question is more relevant if making a 'quick' single cup.

Say I want to drink my tea at say 40degC. Once the water has been infused by the tea (cooling slightly in the cold cup) and a drop of milk has been added the tea may be at 70degC.

So, ... how little actually (near) boiling water would I need for the infusion phase to be fully effective, before adding cooler (say 50degC) water to fill the cup fully?

[NTS: God! You ask some stupid questions!]
« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 11:53:37 by peppercorn »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
From what I gather, boiling water is essential to release the oils, and thus, flavour of tea.  So I don't think you would get much of a cuppa without boiling water. Unless you use instant tea.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
Unless you use instant tea.
No need for that kind'a talk!!! Ewww!

Point is the boiling water for the flavour is there, just only half of it. Your 'perfect' tea gets made with only two thirds the heating energy.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums