The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Does This Interactive projector Thingy Work ?  (Read 7379 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Peeps Of Extraordinarily High Klevernuss !!..Gosh !!..ewe are all just so simply sooper !!

As a sheepy I am of course highly interactive. Stroke my head and ewe'll get a waggy tail ...put your head on my tummy and ewe'll hear a sheepy purr in return ! *le bleat*

But check this projector interactive thingy out:

As ewe can see it's a projector type interactive thingy that projects an image on the ground so that little brats kids can run all over it. The images react to where the kids are !!...how does it do that ?...the image can be water...so that when they walk or jump it splashes...or helicopters which they can try and catch or choccys which they try to jump upon !..

How does it do what it does ?

what's it all about ?

Do ewe know ?...cos I bloody well don't and i want to know !!

help me know the things I don't know by making me know them !

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

neil
Interactive Projector Thingy Asker
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 22/11/2009 23:08:44 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
How Does This Interactive projector Thingy Work ?
« Reply #1 on: 23/11/2009 05:53:45 »
That is very cool!! I have never seen anything like that.. it almost looks like Liquid crystal display they are walking on. Does the surface react to the pressure of feet or hands...? Did you try it yourself, or was there a weight limit that would prevent me or you Sheepy, from trying it out also?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/11/2009 05:54:37 »
I also wonder if part of the set up is a motion detector of some kind?

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 23/11/2009 06:19:57 »
I suspect that there are quite a few ways it could be done, but probably the simplest is to use a passive camera (the sensor) to observe the result of the projection and where there's a difference between what it expects to see and what it actually sees, above a certain threshold, it assumes that a person is there.

You may need to calibrate the system first, perhaps by projecting some calibration images onto the ground when it is clear and noting what the camera sees, but once this has been done you can then project different images and animations and know what you should expect see.

The system would need to be smart enough to cope with the changing ambient lighting conditions but that's no real show stopper.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/11/2009 12:21:39 »
That is very cool!! I have never seen anything like that.. it almost looks like Liquid crystal display they are walking on. Does the surface react to the pressure of feet or hands...? Did you try it yourself, or was there a weight limit that would prevent me or you Sheepy, from trying it out also?

yes, yes..I did try it myself and I made sure I pushed all the other kids off it as I run all over and threw myself on the floor many times  ;D It's just a projection directly onto the floor Kareny mam....you're not actually standing on a panel or a display !..it's the floor !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23/11/2009 12:23:41 »
I also wonder if part of the set up is a motion detector of some kind?

yes, I am sure there must be motion detector stuff happening here...I can see that there is a post from LeeE. He is klevur...we will soon know stuff !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23/11/2009 12:31:10 »
I suspect that there are quite a few ways it could be done, but probably the simplest is to use a passive camera (the sensor) to observe the result of the projection and where there's a difference between what it expects to see and what it actually sees, above a certain threshold, it assumes that a person is there.

You may need to calibrate the system first, perhaps by projecting some calibration images onto the ground when it is clear and noting what the camera sees, but once this has been done you can then project different images and animations and know what you should expect see.

The system would need to be smart enough to cope with the changing ambient lighting conditions but that's no real show stopper.

Thank ewe LeeE. That's great !.....I can see the need for calibration. I was well calibrated after playing with it for a while . Thank ewe very much for your brill info.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 23/11/2009 12:31:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums