The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does one calculate Acceleration of the expansion of Universe?  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
Are we really calculating the Acceleration of the expansion of the Universe or are we measuring something else?  I believe that we may be measuring dispersal of the Galaxies which would, indeed, show an ever increasing amount but the speed may remain the same or actually be decreasing.  Thanks for information.  Joe L. Ogan
« Last Edit: 24/11/2009 00:27:12 by Joe L. Ogan »

Are we really calculating the Acceleration of the expansion of the Universe or we measuring something else?  Thanks for information.  Joe L. Ogan
I'll add my two cents to this question:

Space itself does not expand, what we see is the recession of objects from our local frame. Similar to events here on earth, one could find examples in times of war. An explosion takes place in one area causing the recession of material objects from around it's origin location. But the particular space itself is not effected. Many such explosions will occur at many different locations but the orginial space is not changed. This is how I view the universe, only limitless space wherein perhaps, many violent explosions have taken place. Our own Big Bang is only the observable remnant of a local event and far beyond our ability to observe, there may be many other similar events. Unlike the Multiverse that some have proposed, I view all this occuring in a common and all-encompassing infinite universal space.

Space does not expand, space is only a place where information and energy reside......................Ethos
« Last Edit: 23/11/2009 15:27:28 by Ethos »

Offline PhysBang

• View Profile
The acceleration of the expansion of the universe is measured directly from the use of distant type Ia supernovae. We can use these to see that expansion in the past was slower than it is recently.

Now it is always possible that we are measuring something else. We could be measuring some evolution in supernova properties. We could be measuring dust in the universe.

But such explanations are becoming incredibly unlikely. There are characteristics of expansion that are very particular and would require very, very strange evolution or very, very strange dust to explain.

Additionally, measuring the expansion gives us a measurement of parameters of the big bang theory. And we can use other means to measure these same parameters. That these means agree points to the correctness of the expansion interpretation.

I think that there are links to good explanations of the process here, about half-way down the page:

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums