The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the voltage of the human brain for neurotransmission?  (Read 14660 times)

ScientificBoyZClub

What is the voltage in side human brain for neurotransmissions ?

it is true that if we can collect all human charge or current in human  neurotransmissions can we really light up an electric bulb ?

if we can increase voltage inside our brain ??
does IQ of a person can be improved ?

speed of transmission ???
« Last Edit: 25/11/2009 09:25:33 by chris »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
from memory voltages are less than 100mV and speed of transmission is about 100 M/S

ScientificBoyZClub

from memory voltages are less than 100mV and speed of transmission is about 100 M/S

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
The suggested 100mV is correct. The "resting" membrane potential of a nerve cell is about -70mV i.e. the cell interior is negative with respect to the external milieu. When the nerve cell fires an action potential this voltage increases to +30mV, a total displacement of 100mV.

Chris

ScientificBoyZClub

What is the voltage of the human brain for neurotransmission?
« Reply #4 on: 25/11/2009 12:01:35 »
The suggested 100mV is correct. The "resting" membrane potential of a nerve cell is about -70mV i.e. the cell interior is negative with respect to the external milieu. When the nerve cell fires an action potential this voltage increases to +30mV, a total displacement of 100mV.

Chris
this is the first time that you have replied to my question.
thank you sir,

Offline Fozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/11/2009 18:08:47 »
The IQ of a person has long been an enigma, and is a very deep subject but my understanding is that it is related to the number of cells in the brain and the number of connections between them, so the voltage is unlikely to be a factor.

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/11/2009 21:02:38 »
The speed at which they can communicate matters. This is best achieved by shortening the pathways between frequently used neurons - something your brain already does pretty efficiently. It's how people learn to type without seeing the keyboard, play tennis, do math faster.. I believe the technical term is "unconscious mastery". You might've noticed when you start out at something new, you need to think much more.. but then you don't have to anymore after many times of doing it. Learning things actively changes the brain.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 25/11/2009 21:02:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums