The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How big an EMP blast would i need to take out a speeding camera?  (Read 9904 times)

Offline ...lets split up...

• I love lamp
    • View Profile
Here in South Africa they've lowered the speed limit to unproductive levels claiming it's for roadworks, personally i believe it's to suck in more money for the government via speeding fines.

This left me fantasizing about being a serial killer to speeding cameras. So i was wondering, how big would an emp device need to be to knock out a speeding camera, and if the cameras inner workings would be vulnerable to such a device.

This is all theoretical of coarse, as it is highly illegal.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Over here, where speed cams seem to grow overnight, some people took to them with a sledgehammer. Also somewhat illegal.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
I'd have thought big enough also to damage the electronic control systems of surrounding vehicles, so seriously dangerous as well as illegal...

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
Not to mention your own car's electronics would die

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
EMP is overkill, but I dare say you could temporarily disable one by overloading the receiver front end. You just need to know what frequency they are operating at and have a sufficiently powerful transmitter at the same frequency (or at least fairly close). This would also be illegal of course (certainly in the UK).

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I have often considered cutting in an invisible manner the neutral line of the three phase mains supply (normal in the UK), this would cause erratic operation of the electronics and as the normal run of technicians seem to have little idea about three phase power might take a little while to fix.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Alternatively, people could just drive within the speed limit...

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The Tuf Tuf Club are a Dutch Group of driving fanatics whose purpose in life is to remove the speed cameras of the Netherlands using entertaining methods. They have been made famous by Jeremy Clarkson on BBC2's QI in 2005, after he referred to a stunt in which a hole in the back of a speed camera was filled with expanding foam, which expanded, subsequently causing the camera to fly apart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuf_tuf_club

I doubt the expanding foam would burst the case, but it would ruin the camera if reached the lens.

[this of course would constitute criminal damage]
« Last Edit: 24/11/2009 18:06:48 by RD »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Whether by accident or design, the steel box round speed cameras would make it rather difficult to take them out with an EMP.

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I have seen plenty that have been modified by the application of the infamous "Soweto Chequebook" method of feature enhancement.

Steel boxes make a pretty good EMP proof enclosure, though there was a idea footed a few years ago about using a very high power slave flashgun to overexpose the film in the camera, though this seems to be no longer in use as the cameras became digital.

Most speeders I see ( those that do low level flying as opposed to driving) seem to have lost number plates due to friction or something like that, and Metro seems to be oblivious to them as far as I see, as they just drive past them always.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Well, assuming they are only taking a pic of the rear of the car (which used to be the case), you could always inject a little oil into the exhaust to produce a smokescreen. Not nice for any vehicles behind you though.

I considered making a system to inject gasoline into the exhaust and ignite it at the tailpipe as a means to deter "tailgaters", but I thought better of it  :D

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I considered making a system to inject gasoline into the exhaust and ignite it at the tailpipe

Someone has beat you to it ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/232777.stm

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=25297.msg273655#msg273655

« Last Edit: 24/11/2009 22:37:32 by RD »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Alternatively, people could just drive within the speed limit...

Not a bad idea.

One problem is that in the UK, 1 in 20 cars are not registered. These lunatics are free to do as they please, since they cannot be traced.

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
I've also heard (not verified) that treating your entire license plate with transparent nail polish or varnish is a good trick (the glossier the better).
It doesn't raise suspicion when police examines your car (unless they do a really thorough job, but hey, they're police ;)), but when a speed cam wants to take a picture, the entire licence plate reflects too much light and on the photo it would make your license plate illegible

Offline ...lets split up...

• I love lamp
    • View Profile
Thanks for tips, i'll give the nail polish a try. Alternatively i could start a camera collection, gonna have to go out at night though.

Most speeders I see ( those that do low level flying as opposed to driving) seem to have lost number plates due to friction or something like that, and Metro seems to be oblivious to them as far as I see, as they just drive past them always.

I know exactly what you mean, you'd think companies that build fast expensive cars would attach licenceplate holders of a better quality. It seems the R500 fine (whenever they do decide to stop you about it) is cheaper than the crippling speeding fines. Maybe that's the answer.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums