The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Environmental Pollution Effects on Animals  (Read 15591 times)

Offline aiyana

• First timers
    • View Profile
Environmental Pollution Effects on Animals
« on: 24/11/2009 12:09:54 »

Effects of Pollution on Animals - Air Pollution
Acid rain  destroys fish life in lakes and streams
Excessive ultraviolet radiation may cause skin cancer in wildlife
Ozone in the lower atmosphere may damage lung tissues of animals
Effects of Pollution on Animals - Water Pollution
Nutrient pollution (nitrogen, phosphates etc) causes overgrowth of toxic algae eaten by other aquatic animals, and may cause death.
Chemical contamination can cause declines in frog biodiversity and tadpole mass.
Oil pollution can negatively affect development of marine organisms can also cause gastrointestinal irritation, liver and kidney damage, and damage to the nervous system
Mercury in water can cause abnormal behavior, slower growth and development, reduced reproduction, and death
Persistent organic pollutants (POPs) may cause declines, deformities and death of fish life
Too much sodium chloride (ordinary salt) in water may kill animals
Effects of Pollution on Animals - Soil Pollution 
Can alter metabolism of microorganisms and arthropods in a given soil environment; this may destroy some layers of the primary food chain, and thus have a negative effect on predator animal spcies
Small life forms may consume harmful chemicals which may then be passed up the food chain to larger animals; this may lead to increased mortality rates and even animal extinction.

Offline litespeed

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24/11/2009 19:37:05 »
aiyana - You wrote: 'abunch of stuff' about pollution. For instance: "Acid rain destroys fish. Well, Lake Erie has apparently risen from the dead and has a commercial fishing industry again. Back in the 1960's(?) one of its tributaries in Cleveland, Ohio actually caught fire.  Now things are just fine. Even the beavers have come back, and are a nuisance.

Further, small farms have been abandoned back to the wild because they do not lend themselves to large agriculture. One result is deer are also becoming a nuisance. When I was a kid, it was a big task to hunt down a deer. Now hardly anyone hunts them, so they are culled with hired shooters.

You sound like you are doing some sort of juvenile science project from 50 years ago. I recommend more google research on your part....

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2009 13:49:38 »
Litespeed:

You belittle Aiyana'a post and compare it to a juvenile science project. Yet you do not provide facts that what she/he wrote is incorrect. I do wonder why people who care are belittled by you.

Is acid rain NOT a problem for fish? What does Lake Erie's condition today have to do with this statement? One might conclude that environmental activism and actions have brought back Lake Erie, but how does this negate the acid rain statement? Or is this lake today more acidic than it used to be? Aiyana does not mention farms of any size in the original post. How does your comment about farms prove the original post to be of merely juvenile substance? Why mention the abundance of deer  and industrial agriculture if not with the intention to point out that human actions can result in an unbalanced ecosystem (which would support Aiyana's intentions)?

What in the original post is incorrect or at least irrelevant based on facts that relate to the statements?

I have to say though that the original post is certainly NOT a question.

Offline litespeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2009 18:58:54 »
DD - Its a pointless excercise. For instance, I can truthfully state that thermonuclear war is bad for the animals.  Removing SO2 scrubbers from coal fired power plants would be bad for animals.  Dumping untreated human and industrial waste into lake Eire would be bad for the fish.

However, the fish in Lake Eire are just fine and dandy. Moreover, this is an improvement over the last 50 years. So I simply conclude there has not been a thermonuclear war, SO2 scrubbers on coal fired plants have been effective, and both human and industrial waste are not now harming the Lake Eire fisheries. And the beavers have become a nusaince.

On the other hand, I am confident these improvements have yet to be completed in, shall we say, India and China. I am also confident both nations will address these issues as they become more prosperous in comming years. Finally, these improvements will have very little if anything to do with CO2 reductions in the industrially advanced nations.

We know history and can predict with a fair degree of confidence how these things develop over time. So. Be Of Good Cheer!
« Last Edit: 01/12/2009 19:11:40 by litespeed »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2009 18:58:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums