The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is she looking at me?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Vercingetorix

• First timers
    • View Profile
Is she looking at me?
« on: 24/11/2009 16:15:00 »
Why are our eyes so good in spotting the gaze of somebody looking at us? Is it true for most of you?
Just personal feeling?

Magnetic attraction?? ;) Hunting evolution?

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is she looking at me?
« Reply #1 on: 24/11/2009 16:57:51 »
That's true!!!
this happens with omid and its natural too, that's why omid avoid looking at the person omid is trying to hide from ;)

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Is she looking at me?
« Reply #2 on: 24/11/2009 17:25:14 »
This has been discussed a couple of times in previous threads, but I couldn't find them by searching ???

It is most probably originated in relation to hunting.  Predators that use vision to hunt their prey need stereo vision, and this means locating their eyes in a position where both can see the target i.e. on or towards the front of their face.  A predator therefore, has to turn it's face towards its prey.  In response, prey animals then, will quickly learn to associate a predator type face being turned towards them with the potential threat of being eaten.

As human beings have been both hunters and hunted, during the course of their evolution, they've learned this significance of a face being turned towards them too.

However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this basic learning/behaviour has become further modified over the years, especially since we became dominant and now face far fewer predator threats, to also play a part in other social roles.  One way or another, it represents interest by another.

The recognition of the significance of the face seems widespread in all types of vertebrates above the order of small fish.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Is she looking at me?
« Reply #2 on: 24/11/2009 17:25:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums