The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the source of hadrons in the LHC?  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Fozzie

• View Profile
What is the source of hadrons in the LHC?
« on: 24/11/2009 20:37:11 »
We hear about them being sent around the ring before colliding but I just wondered how they produce them in the first place. What is the source of hadrons?

Offline BobRevay

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25/11/2009 02:15:36 »
Since "hadron" is a term used for a particle that experiences the "Strong nuclear" force, any old proton or neutron is a hadron. However, it would be simplest to have a single charged nucleon for the accelerating field, so a single proton (aka hydrogen nucleus) sounds like the best choice.

Therefore, my guess is that they use hydrogen and ionize it to produce a hadron.

Of, course, my guesses are not always correct  [:I]

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
« Reply #2 on: 26/11/2009 19:21:08 »
Since "hadron" is a term used for a particle that experiences the "Strong nuclear" force, any old proton or neutron is a hadron. However, it would be simplest to have a single charged nucleon for the accelerating field, so a single proton (aka hydrogen nucleus) sounds like the best choice.

Therefore, my guess is that they use hydrogen and ionize it to produce a hadron.

I would expect something like that too, to be honest.

Well, it seems the LHC is finally up and running again. How long this time for i wonder...

Online syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/11/2009 21:51:09 »
The LHC also has the facility for accelerating Lead nuclei but I do not believe this has been tested as yet.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #4 on: 27/11/2009 13:08:36 »
I have a hypothetical particle that could possibly be produced in the LHC. It came from the Square-of-the-Shells rule that I stumbled upon in 1991. It will be a neutral composite particle that consists of a bound state of four components. They are:

Shell 4: 913.34128  Mass in MeV
Shell 4: 913.34128
Shell 3: 21.60362
Shell 3: 21.60362

This neutral particle would be hard to detect, since it has a neutral charge. However missing mass may be detected. This neutral particle would also be a candidate for the material composition of neutron stars.
Source code for the calculator in C
« Last Edit: 27/11/2009 16:32:52 by Vern »

Offline Fozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/12/2009 09:10:13 »

Thanks for that but what I was enquiring about was what is the mechanism which is used to fire the protons? I am familiar with how a cathode works as used in a TV or oscilloscope tube. Is it something like that?

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/12/2009 12:30:12 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 28/12/2009 12:30:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums