The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: is it healthy to eat only fruit for 3 days a week?  (Read 7155 times)

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
in support of saving the planet by eating less processed food, I would like to try this, but i dont know if its healthy for my body, what would you say?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
is it healthy to eat only fruit for 3 days a week?
« Reply #1 on: 25/11/2009 15:00:44 »
I would say be prepared.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/11/2009 15:23:19 »
The problem with eating only fruit for three days a week is that you won't be getting much protein on those days, and maybe not much variety in nutrients, depending on what fruit you eat.  The best thing you can do is to learn to cook for yourself, and educate yourself about where the ingredients you use come from.  That way you can eat a varied diet with a low environmental impact whenever you want.

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/11/2009 19:21:04 »
Having a "meat free" day or several is a really good way to cut down your CO2 footprint; a few Belgium cities are trialling them right now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1053270/Everyone-meat-free-day-week-tackle-climate-change-says-UN.html
http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/morecambe-news/Meatfree-Mondays-mooted.5834434.jp

You don't have to eat just fruit. If you find some veggie recipes you'll be fine - vegetarians don't eat just salad. I'd say just eating fruit is not sufficient for good health, even if it's 1 day. The main reason is that it will only give you simple carbohydrates, which means you'll be on sugar highs and lows all day unless you eat fruit regularly enough to keep it at a high, which is obviously not a good thing. Eat veggies, complex carbs like oats, perhaps muesli or some other cereal. Fruit and nut snacks are good. You should try cooking some vegetarian food from a recipe online, I really like pasta because it's so simple and versatile (but that's definitely partly my studentivity coming in! :D) and you can make it really tasty by adding various veggies and herbs.

Another way is to buy local produce (i.e from farmers markets) rather than goods that have come from far away.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25/11/2009 19:37:46 »
I just bought a new blender which I luff and as a sheepy I of course just luff to blend things !!...I have been enjoying fruit smoothies for the last couple of days..I see no reason why ewe just can't add some beef or ham to a fruit smoothie...perhaps bacon (not lamb of course...that would be silly !!  ::))...This way you'll enjoy lots of fruit and get your meaty protein all in one drink !...*le yum*

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/11/2009 19:51:18 »
one could add protein powder also like they do at the gym.. or perhaps peanut butter.. or other ground up nuts as a protein also....

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/11/2009 21:55:38 »
The problem with eating only fruit for three days a week is that you won't be getting much protein on those days, and maybe not much variety in nutrients, depending on what fruit you eat.  The best thing you can do is to learn to cook for yourself, and educate yourself about where the ingredients you use come from.  That way you can eat a varied diet with a low environmental impact whenever you want.

jpetruccelli is correct our body need a balanced diet to work at an optimal level for women an Ideal average daily intake of: Protein: 50gms Carbohydrate, Fibre, Oils and Fats: 1800cals is recommended. 

Carbohydrate come in many forms some are fast burning while others are slow.  If we eat an excess of Carbohydrate then our body will store it as fat.  If we eat a diet of lots of fruit only we will also miss out on important vitamins and minerals too which can lead to very serious problems.  This is especially true for people in recovery form illness whose body can be already depleted in nutrients. You also need may need a higher level of Protein if you are recovering as your body need it to rebuild cells. 

The word protein comes from the Greek word proteios or “primary.” Only water is a more plentiful part of our body.  Our body uses it to build, well everything.  At a cellular level some proteins act as enzymes and hormones and other important components of other cells such as our genes.  Our body has somewhere between 30 and 50 thousand unique proteins.  We are like a walking protein processing factory.  Everyday we process around half a kilo of body protein into amino acids which are in turn reprocessed in a myriad of needed proteins.  The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) is based on body weight.  To get your protein RDA you multiply your weight by .8 of a gram.  On average this works out as approximately 14gms for and infant, 26gms for a child, 60gms for a male adult and 50gms for a female adult.  “Too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys and liver.  A high protein diet can lead to fat increase as it can lead to an increase in the use of amino acids as an energy source which can lead to an increase in fat storage.   

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25/11/2009 21:57:29 »
Twelve steps to healthy eating
The WHO’s CINDI dietary guide highlights 12 summarises steps.

1.Eat a nutritious diet based on a variety of foods originating mainly from plants, rather than animals. In addition to nutrients, food contains combinations of other substances, most of which abound in plants.  A variety of these plant foods needs to be eaten because no single food can supply everything.  For example, potatoes provide vitamin C, but not iron; whole-grain cereals provide iron, but not vitamin C.  A healthy diet must therefore contain a large variety of the plant foods illustrated in the two green layers at the base of the pyramid (support material fig 1).

2.Eat bread, grains, pasta, rice or potatoes several times per day.
Bread, grains, pasta, rice or potatoes should form the foundation of all meals, as shown in the base of the food pyramid.

3.Maintain body weight between the recommended limits (a BMI of 20–25) by taking moderate levels of physical activity, preferably daily.  Healthy weight maintenance is achieved by choosing a nutritious diet, such as illustrated in the CINDI food pyramid (support material fig 1) , balanced by daily physical activity.  Around half the adults in Europe are overweight; this means that their weight is too heavy compared with their height, and their BMI is over 25.

4.Control fat intake (not more than 30% of daily energy) and replace most saturated fats with unsaturated vegetable oils or soft margarines.  Fats supply energy and essential fatty acids, some of which promote absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K).  Eating large amounts of certain fats, however, is linked to the risk of developing NCD, notably cardiovascular diseases.  In addition, eating large amounts of any fat or oil can increase body weight, so the amount of fat required in a diet depends on the persons energy needs.

5.Replace fatty meat and meat products with beans, legumes, lentils, fish, poultry or lean meat. Legumes, beans, lentils and nuts, as well as meat, poultry, fish (including shellfish and sardines) and eggs (illustrated in the right-hand side of the orange layer of the food pyramid (support material fig 1) ), are important sources of protein and iron.

6.Use milk and dairy products (kefir, sour milk, yoghurt and cheese) that are low in both fat and salt.  Only moderate amounts of food should be selected from the milk and dairy products group which illustrated in the left side of the orange layer of the food pyramid (support material fig 1)  on a regular basis. 

7.Select foods that are low in sugar, and eat refined sugar sparingly, limiting the frequency of sugary drinks and sweets.

8.Choose a low-salt diet.  Total salt intake should not be more than one teaspoon (6g) per day, including the salt in bread and processed, cured and preserved foods.  (Salt iodization should be universal where iodine deficiency is endemic.)

9.If alcohol is consumed, limit intake to no more than 2 drinks (each containing 10g of alcohol) per day.

10.Prepare food in a safe and hygienic way.  Steam, bake, boil or microwave to help reduce the amount of added fat.

11.Promote exclusive breastfeeding and the introduction of safe and adequate

12.Complementary foods from the age of about 6 months, but not before 4, while breastfeeding continues during the first years of life.             

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 25/11/2009 21:57:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums