The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can a cell phone replace a basic laptop computer?  (Read 18527 times)

Offline geo driver

• if you have a smile, share it
    • View Profile
Can a cell phone replace a basic laptop computer?
« Reply #25 on: 06/12/2009 21:38:27 »
i was gonna buy a gooseberry. but it was black thought it was off

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06/12/2009 22:13:50 »
I had a Blackberry for years. I came to hate it! People expected you to answer e-mails at all hours of the day and night, weekends included.

The classic statement was, "What! Didn't you get my e-mail? I sent it almost ten minutes ago."

My boss managed to drop his Blackberry in the toilet, on two different occasions! Mrs Geezer often threatened to take a hammer to mine because the first thing I would do when I got home was scan the latest barrage of e-mails to see if some new fiasco had surfaced at work.

Boy, was I happy to turn that sucker in when I retired!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #27 on: 07/12/2009 00:16:46 »
I had a Blackberry for years. I came to hate it! People expected you to answer e-mails at all hours of the day and night, weekends included.

The classic statement was, "What! Didn't you get my e-mail? I sent it almost ten minutes ago."

My boss managed to drop his Blackberry in the toilet, on two different occasions! Mrs Geezer often threatened to take a hammer to mine because the first thing I would do when I got home was scan the latest barrage of e-mails to see if some new fiasco had surfaced at work.

I think this highlights one of the problems regarding 'working' these days; that you are not just offering a service in return for your pay, but are treated as though you are in service and are actually owned by your employer.

There's a widely held notion, by many employers, that although you both agree to a contract whereby you work for 40-odd hours a week, if they screw up, or their management fails to anticipate other 'unforeseen' incidents, you'll sort out their problems for nothing.

I fail to see anything virtuous in allowing yourself to be exploited in this way.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07/12/2009 02:21:25 »

I think this highlights one of the problems regarding 'working' these days; that you are not just offering a service in return for your pay, but are treated as though you are in service and are actually owned by your employer.

There's a widely held notion, by many employers, that although you both agree to a contract whereby you work for 40-odd hours a week, if they screw up, or their management fails to anticipate other 'unforeseen' incidents, you'll sort out their problems for nothing.

I fail to see anything virtuous in allowing yourself to be exploited in this way.

I totally agree. For so many people, it's a horrible trap. I don't think the situation in Europe is quite as bad as it is in the US. Here, it is positively Dickensian. Most vacation policies are pathetic. Anyone who puts their family before their job risks termination (although it will be called a "layoff due to restructuring" or something equally dishonest).

We are our own worst enemies. We have to have all the accoutrements of "success". But these things are not inexpensive. So we end up working our butts off to pay for all of them. 

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07/12/2009 03:03:02 »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07/12/2009 04:24:48 »
Come to think of it, maybe we should pass a "green" law that says cell phones cannot have batteries and the user must generate the power to drive it in "real time". It would certainly cut down a lot of the inane chat that's clogging up the airwaves, some of which is not unlike this post!

Oooh! Oooh! Bags I "green law" before Al Gore trys to claim it.
« Last Edit: 07/12/2009 05:37:02 by Geezer »

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #31 on: 07/12/2009 17:04:12 »
Come to think of it, maybe we should pass a "green" law that says cell phones cannot have batteries and the user must generate the power to drive it in "real time". It would certainly cut down a lot of the inane chat that's clogging up the airwaves
Might do something to stem obesity also!  ;)

Offline geo driver

• if you have a smile, share it
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08/12/2009 09:03:30 »
thinking of holidays.

the wonderful french if i work more then 35 hours a week its called over time and i am payed for it.
i get a minimum of 5 weeks off a year not including bank holidays
my pay however is poo, the french are rude
and i dont own a goosberry. my boss does however oh the fun to be had

Offline JulietWaugh

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05/01/2010 13:20:43 »
Yes It is true that mobile phone is getting more popular and you can do a lot of web related on it.But still It can not replace Computer because if you want more things on net then surely you want the help of laptop or computer.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #34 on: 05/01/2010 13:45:38 »
Yes It is true that mobile phone is getting more popular and you can do a lot of web related on it.But still It can not replace Computer because if you want more things on net then surely you want the help of laptop or computer.

What other issues are there, other than the ones I identified in the third response to this thread, that require a laptop or computer?  Digital mobile phones, as well as laptops are all computers and like I said, their convergence is inevitable.  The fact that Linux is increasingly finding its way on to digital mobile phones means that you are already using the same fundamental software on every platform, from super-computer clusters to mobile phones, not forgetting even more primitive devices like NAS.

Offline harrifolfenced

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27/01/2011 07:15:28 »
Well it is even difficult to imagine how the varied applications and features of a computer will be shrinked into the small size of a mobile phone. But it is indeed very much feasible. You cannot predict science and technology, you never know what surprises can spring up at what time.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01/02/2011 22:57:51 »
There are some mini-computers, for example the OQO

http://www.oqo.com/products/index.html

Although, apparently they have dropped the telephone interface.  The problem is that a laptop computer and a telephone have somewhat different requirements.  For example, a 1-2 hr battery life is acceptable for a laptop, but not acceptable for a cell phone.  Plus you have screen size issues and all. 

What I would envision is a "dockable phone".  For example, have a semi-mobile workstation that you could dock the phone into which would give you a full power CPU, screen, keyboard, etc, and perhaps secondary communication interface.  Have both primary (cell phone) and secondary storage available on the dock.

Then...  to go mobile, you just undock and fly.

I suppose one could almost do it now, although USB won't give you high enough performance for a primary drive, and Windows won't like it if you yank a main partition, even if it is just your documents folder. 

The problem is that you would end up with a "business system" which would be sold at a premium.  Especially if you needed both a work interface and a home interface (and perhaps a travel interface) to make it all work.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but on at least one Dell model (Latitude C840/Inspiron 8200), the "Home" and "Business" laptop models were essentially identical except for a metal plate covering the docking interface, and ROM locking out the Dock (and perhaps $1000).

I suppose an alternative would be to mirror your documents folder to your cell phone. 
The phone would then work as a backup, and you could have all your docs wherever you went.  Then all you would need would be a "guest-mode" feature if you were travelling and using a computer that wasn't your own.

Again though, the advantage would only be minimal over currently available remote desktop applications. 

Offline briligg

• www.briligg.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09/02/2011 23:17:38 »
Karsten - here you go, the exact thing you are looking for:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/motorola-atrix-4g-hd-multimedia-dock-and-laptop-dock-hands-on/

To go on sale probably in a couple of months. If you just buy the phone, you are probably still looking at an investment of $500 to $700.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #37 on: 09/02/2011 23:17:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums