The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How high a mountain?  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Mad Mark

• View Profile
How high a mountain?
« on: 28/11/2009 18:08:27 »
Could someone please tell me what is the height of mount Everest above its surrounding plateau.
Also is it the tallest mountain in the world from its surrounding plateau if not then what is the tallest mountain in the world visually looking at it from standing at its base?
« Last Edit: 28/11/2009 18:10:01 by Mad Mark »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How high a mountain?
« Reply #1 on: 28/11/2009 21:33:30 »
Everest is 3600 to 4600 meters above the base plateau (depending on where you measure the base).  Mauna Kea rises more that 10,000 meters above the seafloor base.  Several other peaks also attains heights above their base greater than Everest (none in Texas, however- despite the claims by inhabitants that everything is bigger in Texas).

Ethos

How high a mountain?
« Reply #2 on: 28/11/2009 22:43:18 »

(none in Texas, however- despite the claims by inhabitants that everything is bigger in Texas).
Ahhhh yes, but there is one thing bigger in Texas than anywhere else. It's commonly referred to as; THE EXAGGERATION!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How high a mountain?
« Reply #3 on: 29/11/2009 17:36:31 »

(none in Texas, however- despite the claims by inhabitants that everything is bigger in Texas).
Ahhhh yes, but there is one thing bigger in Texas than anywhere else. It's commonly referred to as; THE EXAGGERATION!

Insults. We Texans can take insults. We KNOW we are  superior. These insults are only envy in disguise.

Ethos

How high a mountain?
« Reply #4 on: 29/11/2009 17:50:52 »

Insults. We Texans can take insults. We KNOW we are  superior. These insults are only envy in disguise.

No insult intended my friend, I like nothing better than a good exaggeration.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How high a mountain?
« Reply #5 on: 01/12/2009 18:02:59 »

And I was not insulted, I was giving you a hard time.  ;D

Ethos

How high a mountain?
« Reply #6 on: 02/12/2009 00:07:14 »

And I was not insulted, I was giving you a hard time.  ;D
I'll assume you are from Texas,..............Nothing wrong with a hard time every now and then, keeps the body fit.

The Naked Scientists Forum

How high a mountain?
« Reply #6 on: 02/12/2009 00:07:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums