The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are Space and the Universe the same thing? (Univace)  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Joe L. Ogan

• View Profile
I have been looking at definitions.  It appears to me that Space encompasses everything.  It appears to me that The Universe encompasses everything.  My thinking on this is that one can not have two things that encompass everthing.  If they do, then they must be the same thing.  So, Space is the Universe.  The Universe is Space.  I thought about naming this "Spaverse" but it does not sound good and is not very descriptive.  My next thought was to name it "Univace".  That has a nice ring to it.  I welcome your comments.  Joe L. Ogan

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
Are Space and the Universe the same thing? (Univace)
« Reply #1 on: 30/11/2009 15:26:20 »
The spacetime vacuum is the universe at large.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/2009 18:11:50 »
Joe, you can't really just think about space without also thinking about time - the two are intimately linked together and can't be meaningfully separated.  Sure, there are clear differences, from our point of view, between the spatial and temporal dimensions, but movement, or basically change, in one means change in the other.

However, even trying to think in terms of the universe as just being space-time doesn't really get you much further, for if you try to think of an entirely void universe, containing no energy or matter, then you end up with the universe being 'nothing', which isn't a very useful definition.  In some models space-time is a property of the energy and matter within it i.e. it is the energy and matter that create the space-time that they exist within.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 01/12/2009 18:11:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums