The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: what water do I drink free from floride and chemic  (Read 14507 times)

Offline Leslita

• First timers
    • View Profile
I am not happy that I am drinking water with chemicals in it. what is the safest way to drink water, and what water should I purchase?  Should I boil all water first?  Is it important to avoid aluminum what should I use to boil it safely?  Can someone please help me?

Thank you soooo much.
Leslita

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: what water do I drink free from floride and chemic
« Reply #1 on: 02/10/2005 02:30:01 »
whats wrong with fluoride, is there something i don't know?

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 02/10/2005 02:30:31 by ukmicky »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/10/2005 04:53:07 »
Hey Leslita,

How are you going to accomplish the way you want to live your life ?...

I think if you want to avoid chemicals and stuff then the only way around it is to disassociate yourself from modern living.... I believe there are communes that try to live as such !....does that mean you would deny yourself modern medicines too ?......just curious...and welcome to the site....lets hope a ' natural water ' expert passes by and answers.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #3 on: 02/10/2005 12:40:02 »
You could buy distilled water and drink that.  

Personally, I just use a water filter on my faucet.  The water still tastes good (distilled does NOT) and the filter takes down concentrations of ions and organics to ppb/ppt levels as well as filtering out bacterial/viral particles.  Filters will run you about $15 per month.  

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2005 12:23:30 »
Chances are that you live in a city, do you want to start breathing filtered air as well? By all means buy a water-filter jug, if you live in a hard water area you'll notice the difference otherwise you may not. All water supplies in the developed world meet very high standards and the filters will happily absorb traces. Bioling water removes gaseous stuff, gases like chlorine, and to some extent insoluble stuff, like the natural scum in hard water. My kettle has a brown stain in it which is probably from some contamination by organic chemicals, probably the remains of vegetation around the resevior. The best thing about boiling water is that it kills bacteria and parasites, but that's probably not a problem where you are. The best thing you can do to avoid any ill-effects due to poor quality supply is to drink plenty of it and to moisturise well after showering. I'm sure for the worlds wealthy population tap water ill-effects skin more than anything internal.

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/10/2005 21:07:51 »
I assume you mean the chemicals added to water by the suppliers rather than minerals dissolved in water naturally?  If so then a bottled water would probably the best option.

If you are particularly worried about fluoride and aluminium it's probably best to check the analysis of a number of bottled waters as some have naturally high levels of these.  Otherwise just pick the one that tastes best to you.

If it's all chemicals (apart from dihydogen oxide!) then distilled water or a mixed-bed ion exchange cartidge (not the normal water-softening type, that just replaces calcium with sodium) on the supply would do the trick.

Note of caution though, in the UK water companies only add fluoride to water that is naturally low in it. A deficiency of fluoride is believed to adversely affect the devlopment of teeth.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: 06/10/2005 22:59:24 »
Just to make you really paranoid if the water is in a plastic bottle it will probably be leaking plasticisers into the water... very small quantities but hey ;)

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08/10/2005 19:22:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by daveshorts

Just to make you really paranoid if the water is in a plastic bottle it will probably be leaking plasticisers into the water... very small quantities but hey ;)

I was going to mention the same thing but I didn't want to instill any more fear of trace chemical levels into someone that's obviously concerned with it.  ;)

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline riverfish

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ceh.ac.uk
« Reply #8 on: 27/10/2005 16:52:16 »
Can someone please help me?  Possibly

Should I boil all water first?  Not unless you want to it would get rid of some volatiles

Is it important to avoid aluminum?  Yes which is why water companies don't add it.  I think there was a problem once in Devon or Cornwall where aluminum got into the drinking water supply.  It turned several peoples hair green as well as other more nasty effects but really, that was a one off.  There is no more than a trace of aluminum in your drinking water.

what should I use to boil it safely?  A kettle always works for me

Offline crystalclear

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09/11/2005 15:53:00 »
Hello!  I have been using water filters and air filters for years in my home since I have been aware of the growing pollution/contamination problem on the planet.  From my research, I don't trust any water source, rural or municipal. I believe that drinking lots of filtered water is one of the easiest and most important steps in maintaining good health.

If you are looking for some good info. on water contamination, fluoride, etc. then I recommend this site, newbielink:http://www.ultimatewaterfilter.com [nonactive]. I have also used the faucet filter and water filter pitcher sold here, liked the taste and that they last much longer the Pur or Brita filters. I also take my own bottled water with me wherever I go.

I have read in several sources that fluoride was also used by the Nazis, and still by the Russians because it sedates prisoners and they basically loose their will to fight back. Plus I have seen the children with brown fluoride stained teeth.  If people don't want their kids to have cavities, I don't think fluoride is the answer, just limit the sweets and teach them to brush their teeth often. Anyway, hope this helps.  Dawn

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/11/2005 11:39:23 »
I don't really buy into the big fluoride conspiracy theory, but I do agree that filtering your home drinking water is a very good idea.  Tap filtration systems are very cheap, refill filters are about $20 each and last a few months.

Offline epout

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25/11/2005 05:09:33 »
I read in one of the website, too much floride in water can cause brain damage.  Is it true?

another_someone

« Reply #12 on: 25/11/2005 09:56:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by riverfish
Is it important to avoid aluminum?  Yes which is why water companies don't add it.  I think there was a problem once in Devon or Cornwall where aluminum got into the drinking water supply.  It turned several peoples hair green as well as other more nasty effects but really, that was a one off.  There is no more than a trace of aluminum in your drinking water.

The reason some water companies add aluminium, AIUI, is that it gives water that 'attractive' sparkle and is used to help precipitate suspended particulates from the water.  The problem in Cornwall was that a lorry dumped 20 tonnes of aluminium sulphate directly into the water supply affecting 20,000 homes.

The green hair apparently arose from copper that had dissolved from the piping because of the increased acidity of the water after the addition of the aluminium sulphate.  The bigger problem was the long term neurological damage.

another_someone

« Reply #13 on: 25/11/2005 10:01:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Simmer
Note of caution though, in the UK water companies only add fluoride to water that is naturally low in it. A deficiency of fluoride is believed to adversely affect the devlopment of teeth.

I cannot see that this helps people whose teeth are no longer developing.  OTOH, there is no drug (i.e. a chemical with beneficial health properties) that will not have some adverse side effect.

I am not trying to say that fluoride is necessarily on balance bad, but that balance will not be the same for each individual, and what may be good for one may well be, on balance, bad for another.

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27/11/2005 14:28:06 »
Flouride causes tooth decay, flourosis i think its name is. Flouride is also an effective rat poison and cannot be disposed of safely in landfil sites because of the high risk of leaching into the ground water. It is also a toxic byproduct of aluminium foundries.

Safest way to dispose of it is to add it to our domestic water supply and charge us a fortune for poisoning the water.

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

Offline Crazy117

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30/11/2005 03:05:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Simmer

I assume you mean the chemicals added to water by the suppliers rather than minerals dissolved in water naturally?  If so then a bottled water would probably the best option.

If you are particularly worried about fluoride and aluminium it's probably best to check the analysis of a number of bottled waters as some have naturally high levels of these.  Otherwise just pick the one that tastes best to you.

If it's all chemicals (apart from dihydogen oxide!) then distilled water or a mixed-bed ion exchange cartidge (not the normal water-softening type, that just replaces calcium with sodium) on the supply would do the trick.

British people care about the condition of their teeth?! What a shocker.

Offline Freedom2Learn

• First timers
    • View Profile
what water do I drink free from floride and chemic
« Reply #16 on: 23/09/2007 18:28:50 »
I don't really buy into the big fluoride conspiracy theory, but I do agree that filtering your home drinking water is a very good idea.  Tap filtration systems are very cheap, refill filters are about $20 each and last a few months.

Come people!  After stumbling on to this site, I had to join. I want to say for the most part I have found it scientific...perhaps I am missing the point? If so forgive my upcoming rant.
   The above quote made me sick to my stomach. Where do I start? I say that anyone who brings up the word “conspiracy” in a scientific discussion is showing their brain-washed mental state. Get real. Think for yourself. Stating anything using the politically charged term “conspiracy” outside the courtroom is disgusting. I suggest you put forth some evidence that argues your intelligent point of the debate. I would enjoy that debate. I will put forth the evidence of the side that has proved fluoride is poison in any amount.
I don't really buy into the big fluoride conspiracy theory, but I do agree that filtering your home drinking water is a very good idea.  Tap filtration systems are very cheap, refill filters are about $20 each and last a few months.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23/09/2007 20:32:30 »
'fraid you are indeed missing the point on this one. Suggest you reread Ylide's comment.
The meaning of his remark was that he did not "buy into" the suggestion that such a conspiracy existed.
There is a "conspiracy theory" out there that fluoride is added to the water by some gubbmint organisation for their own mystifyingly nefarious purposes, it's obvious junk paranoia but it exists. Ylide was indicating that he did not subscribe to it.
Ylide's far from brainwashed, but since this thread has been untouched for nearly two years he happens to be someone who's not actually contributing regularly to the site any longer.

Welcome to the site, by the way. You will certainly find some people round here spouting politically/paranoically skewed garbage (this is, after all, the InterWeb), but not many and there's a lot of really good stuff here too!

[Edited for forgeting that Ylide's a bloke]
« Last Edit: 23/09/2007 21:12:20 by rosy »

Offline Freedom2Learn

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23/09/2007 21:55:50 »
'fraid you are indeed missing the point on this one. Suggest you reread Ylide's comment.
The meaning of his remark was that he did not "buy into" the suggestion that such a conspiracy existed.
There is a "conspiracy theory" out there that fluoride is added to the water by some gubbmint organisation for their own mystifyingly nefarious purposes, it's obvious junk paranoia but it exists. Ylide was indicating that he did not subscribe to it.
Ylide's far from brainwashed, but since this thread has been untouched for nearly two years he happens to be someone who's not actually contributing regularly to the site any longer.

Welcome to the site, by the way. You will certainly find some people round here spouting politically/paranoically skewed garbage (this is, after all, the InterWeb), but not many and there's a lot of really good stuff here too!

[Edited for forgeting that Ylide's a bloke]

Oh, so, you are saying that he is saying that "they" are putting fluoride into the water because "they" really have no clue that it is poison? Fluoride is poison. This has been know for many years. Why do "they" keep putting it in the water?    Please reply with science not personal attacks. 

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24/09/2007 08:38:20 »
Eh? Um, yes. Fluoride is added to the water because it's believed by the people causing it to be added to be beneficial. Why else would they do it?
If fluoride were being added to the water by people who belived it would do harm then that would indeed be a conspiracy to damage public health. Not, to me, particularly plausible.
Some people believe it is not beneficial or that the disadvantages outweigh the benefits.

"Fluroide is poison", this is a bit of a sweeping statement. A certain level of fluoride is necessary for healthy teeth, too much is potentially a bad thing. These are both things that have been known for years.
The evidence either way is not clear cut. See the report by the NHS Centre for Research and Dissemination (http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/crd/pdf/summary.pdf PDF warning), which found little or no good evidence that harm is caused but not much that there is a beneficial effect for children's teeth.

So yeah, I think he's saying that "they" are putting fluoride in water because they think it's the right thing to do in areas where the levels of fluoride are naturally low, to bring those levels up to a more normal level (which I believe is what happens in some areas of the UK).

Do you think they have some other motive? What do you think it might be?

Incidentally, I didn't intend any "personal attack" on anyone (or at least not in this thread, I maintain tha there's some utter rubbish spouted on other parts of the site).

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24/09/2007 20:37:47 »
Since water is a chemical there is no way that you can get chemical free water.

The amount of fluoride added to water is much less than that present "naturally" in some places.

Water is a poison, ask Paracelsus.

Offline DrDick

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25/09/2007 17:54:39 »
The only way to get water that is chemical-free is to find dehydrated water.  The problem is that all water contains a large amount of dihydrogen monoxide(DHMO).  Only through the dehydration process can you get rid of DHMO.  I've seen it sold on the internet before, but I don't remember where.  I'm sure you can Google it.

As far as fluoride goes, there are good arguments for and against fluoridation. 
Here are some points, off the top of my head:

Fluoride converts normal tooth enamel (apatite - and no, that is not a joke) into a more acid-resistant form (fluoroapatite).  This gives extra protection against the mouth acids that cause tooth decay.

Fluoride is NOT necessary for healthy teeth.  The problem is that most people don't practice proper dental hygiene and this fluoride is a work-around.

Fluoride is toxic at high levels, since it removes calcium from the bloodstream.

Fluoride causes fluorosis at moderately high levels.  Fluorosis is NOT tooth decay.  Fluorosis is an extreme example of the normal conversion of apatite to fluoroapatite.  The problem is that fluoroapatite is more brittle than apatite and more colored.  So fluorosis results in yellow and brittle teeth.

Finally, always be suspicious of any report on the safety of any chemical if the report comes from the government or any company.  For that matter, always be somewhat suspicious of ANY safety report.  As Deep Throat said, "Follow the money."  If the Bush presidency has shown anything, it's that government agencies can be co-opted to say anything the president thinks it should say.  This could be because of his own warped views on life or because lobbyists are putting up enough money to buy enough congressmen.  I, for instance, know enough chemistry that I'll never buy the statement that sucralose is harmless.
<stepping off soapbox>

Dick

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25/09/2007 20:01:23 »
Erm, perhaps I shouldn't say this but I am a government scientist and I get paid to produce scientifically justified answers whatever the government might think.
Also they have been adding fluoride to water since long before Bush got involved.
"Finally, always be suspicious of any report on the safety of any chemical if the report comes from the government or any company."
Brilliant, presumably if I want to find out if something is toxic I can try it myself or see what it does to my friends.

Finally, always be suspicious of sweeping generalisations. :-)

Offline DrDick

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25/09/2007 20:20:58 »
Perhaps "suspicious" was too harsh a word.  Always try to be aware of any biases that may be influencing the reports.  I'm talking about any public report, that is generally being released by either a company that has a vested interest, some organization that is actively opposed to the company in question or a government that often corrupts the work of its scientists for its own ends (I should have added that second organization earlier).

I don't mean to criticize the scientists doing the work.  I'm sure that the science that you report to your superiors is fine.  How about what actually gets released to the public?  I also didn't mean that Bush had anything to do with any fluoride reports (I was off on a tangent), but just listen to the many scientists leaving government service to see how anti-science the current administration is.

Dick

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26/09/2007 19:50:04 »
If the report didn't agree with what I said was the science then it wouldn't be published.
Without my name on it there would be a copyright issue; and I wouldn't let it go with my name.

Anyway, every report is written by someone with some sort of vested interest. Research is expensive and people, companies or governments don't spend that sort of money for a joke, they spend it on things that matter to them.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 26/09/2007 19:50:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums