The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is Paper Made From The Same Trees ?  (Read 6445 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Is Paper Made From The Same Trees ?
« on: 02/12/2009 13:37:41 »
Dearest Paperologists,

As a sheepie I of course luff paper. Every day I receive many requests from fans and these are usually written on paper. Paper is great

Look, here's a pile of todays requests asking for a date.

A Pile Of Paper Earlier Today

Paper is made from trees yes?..What is the favoured tree that paper is made from and is paper made from other trees too ? or is there just the one type of tree that is best for paper-making ?..Is there actually treeless paper ?..and if so..can it actually be called ' paper ' ?

Ewe see, I just do not know....WOOD like to know though !

Oh well, guess I'd better start replying *dumps pile on PA's desk and instructs the usual template to be used to send out a pseudo personal reply*

hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !

neil
Don't Forget To Recycle !
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 02/12/2009 15:36:56 by neilep »

Offline Mr. Scientist

• Neilep Level Member
  • http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&
    • View Profile
    • Time Theory
Re: Is Paper Made From The Same Trees ?
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2009 15:18:44 »
Not all paper. Take indonesia, or my current home-land of scotland. Between them, they have many different types of trees, and so pulp extracted from them is very similar.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/12/2009 15:40:10 »
Not all paper. Take indonesia, or my current home-land of scotland. Between them, they have many different types of trees, and so pulp extracted from them is very similar.

Thank Ewe Mr.Scientist. That's really interesting. I thought that there have been a tree that is specifically used more so than others because may provide a high yield of paper to tree...if ewe know what I mean .  I imagine that there must be some trees that just aren't paper friendly.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 02/12/2009 16:22:29 »
Me thinks most wood pulp paper is made from softwood trees such as the pines.

The anceint Egyptians used papyrus. The leaves were allowed to dry and bleach in the sun, then they were soaked and laid across each other, pressed and air dried.

Before this (like wen I woz at skool) slate and chalk was used.

Best kwality ritting matearials is made phrom a micksture ov wood pulp 'n coton init, an' iss kalled parched parchment. I fink iss got uver stuff in it two, aintit?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02/12/2009 16:59:59 »
Me thinks most wood pulp paper is made from softwood trees such as the pines.

The anceint Egyptians used papyrus. The leaves were allowed to dry and bleach in the sun, then they were soaked and laid across each other, pressed and air dried.

Before this (like wen I woz at skool) slate and chalk was used.

Best kwality ritting matearials is made phrom a micksture ov wood pulp 'n coton init, an' iss kalled parched parchment. I fink iss got uver stuff in it two, aintit?

This is simply super to know . Thanks Don. So, softwoods it is then. Then why does not my paper have a wonderful pine aroma ?..hurumpth !!

This ancient Egyptians were well klevur. They knew stuff !

Oooh..parchment !...Wood an eccentric American property developer with a penchant for posh paper live in an aparchment ?  *le groan*

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/12/2009 09:01:39 »
I've been listening to some old podcast I found in a darkened corner of the internet and there was quite an informative piece about  (recycling) paper. The thrust of the piece was that it was the cellulose that counted not the feedstock.  It had some unclothed maniacs going by the name of BenV and DaveA explaining  things in their kitchen.  They referred to a website I think the url was http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/content/kitchenscience/exp/recycling-paper/

Paper can be made treeless by using fast growing fibrous plants like hemp or sisal and is indistinguishable from paper made with virgin pulp or recyclate.
As an example Hemp paper is used in gauloise cigarettes and some cigarette papers

Part of the commercial paper process involves bleaching and applying other chemical treatments that get rid of the resins etc. that make pine smell.

Of course, I only ever write on vellum...

« Last Edit: 07/12/2009 09:03:47 by Mazurka »

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09/12/2009 01:22:13 »
Hemp you say? Reminds me of a off beat movie where a car starts to burn made with, ah, hemp, sort of..
« Last Edit: 09/12/2009 05:29:29 by yor_on »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 09/12/2009 01:22:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums