The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: powdered aluminum  (Read 28807 times)

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: powdered aluminum
« Reply #25 on: 24/08/2006 16:55:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by johndiver

New use for powdered aluminum: hydrogen production.
A scientist at one of the BC universities in Canada discovered powdered aluminum makes a great storage of electricity, reasoning that it takes a lot of electrons to make aluminum, then it should release a lot of electrons as it reverts to a more stable/natural state.
He mixed water with salt, then added aluminum powder and found it produces Al(OH)3 + H2, which can be used in hydrogen fuel cells.
Better to try this than to try exploding your stockpile IMO.

To make hydrogen from Al, it's not necessary to have Al powder: you can simply dissolve a piece of Al in a basic solution, for example an acqueous solution of NaOH or Na2CO3 (at the beginning the reaction goes slowly, but, after the tick layer of aluminum oxide has been removed, it goes fast, so be careful!). You can even use NaHCO3 (baking soda) heating the solution.
By the way, putting a silver object inside an aluminum pan with a baking soda solution and heating it for ~ 15 minutes, is a simple method to clear that silver object.
« Last Edit: 24/08/2006 16:59:01 by lightarrow »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24/08/2006 16:55:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by johndiver

New use for powdered aluminum: hydrogen production.
A scientist at one of the BC universities in Canada discovered powdered aluminum makes a great storage of electricity, reasoning that it takes a lot of electrons to make aluminum, then it should release a lot of electrons as it reverts to a more stable/natural state.
He mixed water with salt, then added aluminum powder and found it produces Al(OH)3 + H2, which can be used in hydrogen fuel cells.
Better to try this than to try exploding your stockpile IMO.

To make hydrogen from Al, it's not necessary to have Al powder: you can simply dissolve a piece of Al in a basic solution, for example an acqueous solution of NaOH or Na2CO3 (at the beginning the reaction goes slowly, but, after the tick layer of aluminum oxide has been removed, it goes fast, so be careful!). You can even use NaHCO3 (baking soda) heating the solution.
By the way, putting a silver object inside an aluminum pan with a baking soda solution and heating it for ~ 15 minutes, is a simple method to clear that silver object.
« Last Edit: 24/08/2006 16:59:01 by lightarrow »

Offline weed4me

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26/08/2006 00:07:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by sharkeyandgeorge

update- ive just finished fitting a kitchen where aluminum edging neede to be ground and shaped i used a cheap grinder and collected quite alot of powder tomorrow me and a mate with a corrugated iron shed are haveing a thermite party with the grand finally taken from the other thermite forum gonna burn through a pandas engine block

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
The philosopher Q man

love to see that, setting thermite off in a shed, i mean for gods sake do u kno how many sparks thermite gives off? not to mention the amount of oxegen it consumes burning. my suggestion is rethink this and DONT DO IT IN A GOD DAMN SHED!!!

"You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is."

Offline Weldmann

• First timers
    • View Profile
powdered aluminum
« Reply #28 on: 13/08/2007 11:05:10 »
So I guess that because of the fact that Al oxidizes so rapidly in water or the water in the air that it is pretty much impossible to make your own finely ground Al powder that would work in a thermite reaction, because even if you could collect it, it would be too oxidized or contaminated.  Has anyone made thermite with home made aluminum powder?  I have been trying with no success at all using black iron oxide powder from a ceramics supply store and aluminum particulate collected off from a grinding disk, attempting to ignite it with KMnO4 and glycerine. :P [?]

Offline chris99336

• First timers
    • View Profile
powdered aluminum
« Reply #29 on: 28/03/2010 22:33:14 »
I have tried to make it with home made aluminum. And it is very hard to light and doesnt sustain a very stable reaction, but it can be done. The problem i run into is that I cant make my powder fine enough. I used a brake lathe with a fan clutch off a chevy motor and got a mix of shaving and what looked like powder but was still larger particles than that. It lights with magnesium if I add an outside oxygen supply to get the magnesium burning good and hot, but even then it spits and sputters and never stays going. I believe it can be done if you are capable of getting your powder fine enough.

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
powdered aluminum
« Reply #30 on: 17/04/2010 06:21:37 »
You know these "silver" artists materials (inks, pencils, paints, etc.)? They, I assume, are based on powdered aluminum. So the stuff must be commercially produced routinely.

The Naked Scientists Forum

powdered aluminum
« Reply #30 on: 17/04/2010 06:21:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums