The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is It Possible To Use A Scanned Fingerprint ?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Is It Possible To Use A Scanned Fingerprint ?
« on: 03/12/2009 13:24:47 »
Dearest Fingerprintologists,

As a sheepie I of course have sheepie prints. They identify me as the sheepie I am, and that's me !

There are people out there who have fingerprints, look here's some !

Some Fingerprints Scanned Earlier Today

Could someone use the picture of a fingerprint as the real thing ?

Some car key fobs and USB flash drives incorporate fingerprint recognition software...could a 1-1 scale image of a fingerprint be used to fool this ? If not why not ?

whajafink ?

hugs & Shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !

Neil
Hmmm..Choccy Fingers
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #1 on: 03/12/2009 13:36:41 »
A couple of months ago I was working on the Biometrics Exhibition at the QEII conference centre in Westminster. According to the manufacturers of biometric recognition systems, it is not possible to use photos or scanned images to fool these machines. The why's and how's of it I didn't go into, far too busy with other things at the time.

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #2 on: 03/12/2009 14:28:23 »
If the fingerprint scanner's resolution is higher than your printer's, it won't work.
In the vice versa situation, you'd have to ask a connoisseur.

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/12/2009 15:02:49 »
I've seen it done, on Mythbusters they used an adhesive mould to pick up a fingerprint from a compact disc and then used this to open a very expensive fingerprint lock.

Photos would never work because they don't exhibit the grooves needed by the scanning computer, but an adhesive mould does work.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/12/2009 15:31:32 »
A couple of months ago I was working on the Biometrics Exhibition at the QEII conference centre in Westminster. According to the manufacturers of biometric recognition systems, it is not possible to use photos or scanned images to fool these machines. The why's and how's of it I didn't go into, far too busy with other things at the time.

Thanks Don, that's very comforting to know. One can never be sure when someone may want to gain access to my fingerprint locked Sheep pen.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/12/2009 15:33:06 »
If the fingerprint scanner's resolution is higher than your printer's, it won't work.
In the vice versa situation, you'd have to ask a connoisseur.

Thanks Nizzle. This is all very informative. One of course would then need to acquire the same model of fingerprint scanner....I'll go check Ebay ! ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/12/2009 15:35:23 »
I've seen it done, on Mythbusters they used an adhesive mould to pick up a fingerprint from a compact disc and then used this to open a very expensive fingerprint lock.

Photos would never work because they don't exhibit the grooves needed by the scanning computer, but an adhesive mould does work.

oooh !!..Thanks Latebind..uh oh !..better make sure I don't leave any sheepie prints about !...great !!..that's about a hundred ewes backs I need to check now !!  ;)

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/2009 15:40:42 »

oooh !!..Thanks Latebind..uh oh !..better make sure I don't leave any sheepie prints about !...great !!..that's about a hundred ewes backs I need to check now !!  ;)

I wasn't aware sheeps had fingerprints :)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/12/2009 15:42:10 »

I wasn't aware sheeps had fingerprints :)

lol..I did say 'Sheepie prints'

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 03/12/2009 15:42:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length