The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could the Earth's core explode?  (Read 5997 times)

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
Could the Earth's core explode?
« on: 03/12/2009 13:53:03 »
The earth's core is subject to very hot temperatures and pressures, is it possible that it might one day explode due to some anomaly or instability or such....?

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #1 on: 03/12/2009 14:25:34 »
I think gravity will keep it all together.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/12/2009 15:43:35 »
The earth's core is subject to very hot temperatures and pressures, is it possible that it might one day explode due to some anomaly or instability or such....?

I Hope not ............I suggest we tiptoe for now !

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/12/2009 22:19:57 »
There's no reason that I'm aware of why the Earth's core should explode, the pressure is due to the rock piled on top, so if it tried to explode as the rock came off the pressure would go down, and stop the explosion- it can't explode.

I did recently read about the faint ring around Jupiter though; one theory is that it was caused by an ice-moon exploding.

The thing is that Jupiter has a very strong magnetic field; and the theory is that the moon as it swung through the magnetic field it creates a dynamo effect which causes the ice to electrolyse into oxygen and hydrogen gas; and remained trapped in the ice.

Trouble is, they're mixed and the hydrogen/oxygen gas mixture can quite happily explode- explosive ice! Now imagine a moon made of that, and what happens if it gets hit with a big meteorite...

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #4 on: 04/12/2009 16:22:31 »
The Earth's core is slowly but steadily losing heat/energy.  It's difficult to see how a reduction in energy could cause it to explode.  The Earth isn't big enough to worry about gravitational collapse, as happen in stars when their fuel is expended.  The outer layers of the Earth aren't supported by the pressure of escaping energy from the core, as in stars, but by the physical matter of the core.  When the core eventually cools, it may shrink a bit and cause quite a few earthquakes, but it won't collapse.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 04/12/2009 16:22:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length