The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why are people easily agitated when they are tired?  (Read 10368 times)

Hien

Hien asked the Naked Scientists:

Why are people easily agitated when they are tired or lacking sleep?

What do you think?

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Why are people easily agitated when they are tired?
« Reply #1 on: 09/12/2009 01:02:41 »
Don't know really. it should have to do with the rest substances (neuro transmitters) released after f ex. hard work but there are all kinds of tiredness. Some comes from mental disorders like anxiety or MS or. . you name it

I found this article on it http://stanford.wellsphere.com/biking-article/why-do-we-get-tired/640622 and another just how to 'treat' yourself if you know that you are prone to get angered easily.
http://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/anger.html

The problem with anger, not caring for those you take it out on, is that it reduces a lot of your body's ability to regenerate energy and wellbeing and makes you susceptible to diseases and an early grave, no, not from those you argue with :) but your body's health in general declines. a little like always being prepared for the worst, to run or fight, depletes your bodies resources.

Take a look here for the real adventurers :) In chemical substances.
http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=40335

Nothing I would recommend though. It's better to eat right, sleep right, and if you still have problems, check your medical status.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/12/2009 15:35:05 »
I have an opinion: people are easily agitated when tired (even) because their "super-ego" is lacking inhibitory control over pulsions, instincts, emotions. I think this is compatible with the fact people can release their most inner emotions when drunk, for example. I sometimes found myself thinking about "strange, irrational" things when very tired and some seconds after, realizing: "but, what the heck am I thinking of?" = super-ego/rational/judging mind who "wake-up" and recapture control/analysis of the situation...
« Last Edit: 10/12/2009 15:41:47 by lightarrow »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/12/2009 07:36:44 »
I think your bodies ability to cope with anything really is being really taxed when sleep and rest are lacking. Your body produces certain brain chemicals while sleeping that help to replenish your bodies energy. When those are missing You lack the feel good endorphins that come with a well rested body so I think it really makes it hard when they are  being over produced and not the proper quantities to keep your body on a level keel so to speak...
I want to say that dopamine is being produced in larger doses when you lack sleep..but am not sure if I am remembering correctly or not!

Serotonin levels being low can cause the irritability to be a problem..

See below:

http://borntoexplore.org/neurochem.htm

Reduced serotonin levels from stress, lack of sleep & exercise, poor nutrition, and lack of sunlight are connected with ADD, irritability, depression, aggression, anxiety, lack of concentration, chronic pain, restlessness or fatigue, nausea, obsessive-compulsive disorder, weight gain or loss, fibromyalgia, arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, heat intolerance and other syndromes.   Fluctuating serotonin levels are connected with bipolar disorder (manic depression) and hypomania.  You don't have to feel depressed or anxious; symptoms may be purely physical.

Reduced dopamine/norepinephrine caused by boring surroundings and lack of exercise may manifest as ADD, impulsivity, lack of concentration, restlessness, and depression or loss of pleasure.  Dopamine is the "feel good" chemical which illegal drugs mimic (such as cocaine, heroin, marijuana) as well as cigarettes, coffee and alcohol. Ritalin and other ADD drugs are thought to increase dopamine activity.

here is what I found on Dopamine.. I think this has some to do with it also..

http://www.answers.com/topic/dopamine

"Dopamine is manufactured inside dopamine neurons in a controlled manner from the amino acid precursor L-tyrosine, which mammals obtain through the normal diet. Dopamine is then stored in vesicles within the nerve terminals, which may fuse with the cell membrane to release dopamine into the synapse."

"The release of neurotransmitter is controlled by a variety of factors, including the firing rate of the dopamine nerve cell (termed impulse-dependent release) and the release- and synthesis-modulating presynaptic dopamine receptors located on the dopamine nerve terminals. Since presynaptic dopamine receptors are sensitive to the cell's own neurotransmitter, they are called dopamine autoreceptors. Once released, dopamine also acts at postsynaptic receptors to influence behavior."
« Last Edit: 17/12/2009 07:47:34 by Karen W. »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/12/2009 07:45:04 »
Perhaps we should move this one to Physiology and Medicine?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/12/2009 08:00:10 »
All Done!

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/12/2009 12:55:22 »
Sleep deprivation is the first stage for interrogators.. clearly it has some advantages for letting down defences..

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17/12/2009 14:15:28 »
My guess is that it is a kind of defense mechanism.  If you are snippish people will leave you alone, once alone you can get some rest.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/12/2009 08:36:06 »
That is a very well taken point! LOL Makes perfect since!

Offline sansal

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/02/2010 17:31:54 »
Really good and informative post,as per implementing new strategies and sharing views for health.Thanks,will be very helpful for people suffering from many diseases.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 19/02/2010 17:31:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums