The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: I am curious as to recovery times for the following surgeries...?  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
1rst will be a Bariatric surgery..

2nd one should be the replacement of the Aorta, and the heart valves, he said several will need to be replaced, and that they will do this the same time, if I am understanding him correctly.. They will be placing something called Flexon fabric around the entire Aorta, like a graph, and I believe inside somehow? It should grow to it, and reinforce it, eventually all becoming one piece.

3rd... I will be having hip replacements both sides.

4th.. There will be the left shoulder replacement.

I am not sure what the kidneys and liver, will be doing at this point, but I am hoping I can avoid a kidney transplant down the road with the weight loss and  heart surgery, along with hopefully, less medicine?

I am not sure of all details, or order yet. I am wondering about typical recovery time for these procedures on a realistic scale?

What do you think..? What kind of physical therapy etc, will I be looking at?

I am quickly loosing my ability to walk, as my hips are really bad. I am stuck with using a walker, and in the next few months unless something drastic changes I will cease walking, because of the excruciating pain I am experiencing with my hips and legs.

Hopefully, the weight coming off will help also. I have lost 26 lbs again on my own in the pool and remain active there but am now confined to pool therapy, Doctors orders..

So recovery times?  Whats it look like, in weeks or months for each procedure?

I want to make a calendar and set some goals...! Could you all help me...?
« Last Edit: 08/12/2009 08:22:19 by Karen W. »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Wow!! You will be a bionic woman after this lot. I don't know the answers regarding recovery times so I won't mislead by uninformed guessing. I would guess that there must be internet sites that will tell you though I would assume that recovery time has to be tempered by the extensive and varied nature or the various procedures.

All the best for all of these and don't forget to have a laptop and internet connection nearby so we can all keep in touch.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
My Bariatric was scheduled for November but I was sick and they want me illness free for about six weeks so I am waiting until after Christmas.. I hope...Probably January..
I do not plan I staying down... too scared to be down to long.

Will keep the net close, you know better then that !LOL

Was hoping people here would speak more from experience on time frames etc.. I have read tons but not found anything really detailed in terms of easy reading on recovery times and what kind of physical therapy I will be expecting to have.

Thanks Graham for the support.. thats nice thanks!

Offline Pwee

• View Profile
Hi Karen!

I don't know about others, but I think you will be one of those who recover quickly judging by your positive attitude and determination.

If you will be a subject to this many surgeries, I'd advise you to get the help of a psychologist or hypnotherapist too. Excessive research data suggest that positive suggestive techniques (hypnosis being one of them) help with the recovery process, resulting in quicker and more pleasent recovery. (I've recently finished writing a review on this topic based on the scientific studies)

There are some tapes available too (most of them on the market are junk), but the best is to record a tape for yourself with the help of a professional to fit your special needs and condition.
« Last Edit: 08/12/2009 11:22:15 by Pwee »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks Pwee,

I actually have a psychologist who I am seeing on a regular basis for all that is going on.. She has been very helpful...with my depression and medical issues concerning depression and medical issues that tend to make my depression more intense... harder for me to deal with..
I have never heard of the hypnosis as a way to deal with surgical procedures.. I have been having trouble seeing the outcome as positive but with her help and a few of my friends I am feeling more hopeful all the time..
  What kind of things would be found on one of these tapes you suggest making?

Offline Pwee

• View Profile
A content of a tape like this can vary from simple pleasent thoughts to complex self-hypnosis procedures. The important thing is that you have to find a professional for this (like your psychologist if she is competent in it), and the tape should contain a method that the professional and you are both most comfortable with.

The most basic stuff (and really effective) is simple positive suggestions: carefully designed sentences that state that you are healing, you feel comfortable, that the medical staff does everything in your behalf, you are in good hands, you have to do nothing but let your body do its job and heal. The goals of the procedures can be mentioned, it can be customised for every procedure and even healing stage (at some points the most important is to be relaxed and comfortable, at some points it can help to prevent inflammation, at some points clean and smooth would healing, or sthrengtening of bowel motility is the key etc.).
That's why it should be made for everyone personally, customized to fit the current objectives and needs.

With patients undergoing surgery and other medical procedures imagery techniques are used to great effectiveness too. Here the classic safe place or "laughing place" imageries come to mind first, but its also good to imagine the perfectly healed self or the achieved desired goal. At times when it is not possible to leave the bed, physical exercises can be partly done via imagery too (there are studies on this too that mentally done exercise reduces muscle loss).

These can be supplemented by hypnosis, or self hypnosis techniques too. This involves a little practise too from your part before the procedures, so that you learn how to use these techniques beforehand.
« Last Edit: 09/12/2009 13:04:29 by Pwee »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Wow.. I have never heard of these things before.. The positive imagery etc.. yes, but as far as physical exercises done via imagery.. that is new to me but sounds awesome...
I will talk with her about doing something similar..

Thanks Pwee!

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

2nd one should be the replacement of the Aorta, and the heart valves, he said several will need to be replaced, and that they will do this the same time, if I am understanding him correctly.. They will be placing something called Flexon fabric around the entire Aorta, like a graph, and I believe inside somehow? It should grow to it, and reinforce it, eventually all becoming one piece.

I am quickly loosing my ability to walk, as my hips are really bad. I am stuck with using a walker, and in the next few months unless something drastic changes I will cease walking, because of the excruciating pain I am experiencing with my hips and legs.

Hopefully, the weight coming off will help also. I have lost 26 lbs again on my own in the pool and remain active there but am now confined to pool therapy, Doctors orders..

If you were able to loose so much on your own,
why do you need to strangle your guts (stomach)
with all the collateral effects and related dietary problems?
Are you sure that both of your hips have to be replaced...
...at your age? (much younger than meeee! ;))
What is it: arthritis, osteoporosis, osteomalacia?

You cannot 'plan' recovery timing of so many aggressive and complex procedures,
just like that: we (patients) are all different, reactions variable and unexpected;
side-effects...just behind the corner.

Take care

ikod
« Last Edit: 09/12/2009 18:11:12 by iko »

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Don't know about the plastic and possibly pig heart parts, but a friend of mine had a hip replacement 5 years ago, and is a lot more mobile now ( we have to nail him down to keep him from roofing and climbing ladders too often), although he still has occasional pain. He was able to walk after around 6 weeks with limited mobility, a big change after months of pain, and an allergy to codiene and paracetemol ( ulcer meant no other painkillers either) that made life a misery for him.

Big limiter will be the lifelong drug regime you will now have, to handle the possibility of rejection of the heart valves, although this will be a lot less burden than the misery of continued dull pain and other problems. The mobility and the freedom of needing help for anything will more than compensate, think of little things the new you will be self sufficient for, like fetching the paper, or walking to the gate without issues.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

If you were able to loose so much on your own,
why do you need to strangle your guts (stomach)
with all the collateral effects and related dietary problems?
Are you sure that both of your hips have to be replaced...
...at your age? (much younger than meeee! ;))
What is it: arthritis, osteoporosis, osteomalacia?

You cannot 'plan' recovery timing of so many aggressive and complex procedures,
just like that: we (patients) are all different, reactions variable and unexpected;
side-effects...just behind the corner.

Take care

ikod

Hi IKO.. Yes I am sure about the hips although he said we may do the right one first and wait on the left as it is not as bad as the right although it feels just about as bad.. The damage is Osteoarthritis in the hips, He said I have both...rheumatoid and osteo..
The deterioration is severe inthe left and moderate in the right.. the pain is off the charts when trying to walk and my pain medicines are doing very little to take the edge off. He said my hip looks like a 70 year olds and getting worse rapidly..
He wants the weight off faster then I can get it off. I had lost 116lbs and gained back between 42 and 44. I have now lost 26 lbs again.. but The rheumatoid Dr. says it needs to happen quicker, and he is consulting with my cardiac surgeon .. he says we need a solution that is more permanent.... The bypass..I hate the idea.. but have been struggling for so long.. and I want to live and not die trying to get the weight off that I have failed to get off so far.. Iko I have lost much of my mobility due to my hips.. My left hip pops out of socket every few steps and sometimes just sitting on the wrong height chair or sofa.. and it is excruciating trying to get it back in place..

Dr says I am prone to these aneurysms and that the weight needs to be permanent as well as my blood pressure staying down.. as you know it is a real problem with the aneurysms.

We have not talked time frames for procedures but we need to next visit.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Don't know about the plastic and possibly pig heart parts, but a friend of mine had a hip replacement 5 years ago, and is a lot more mobile now ( we have to nail him down to keep him from roofing and climbing ladders too often), although he still has occasional pain. He was able to walk after around 6 weeks with limited mobility, a big change after months of pain, and an allergy to codiene and paracetemol ( ulcer meant no other painkillers either) that made life a misery for him.

Big limiter will be the lifelong drug regime you will now have, to handle the possibility of rejection of the heart valves, although this will be a lot less burden than the misery of continued dull pain and other problems. The mobility and the freedom of needing help for anything will more than compensate, think of little things the new you will be self sufficient for, like fetching the paper, or walking to the gate without issues.

Welcome to the forum SeanB,and Thank you....

He said They would be mechanical  valves as I am too young for pig valves and the mechanical should last longer for me.

Sounds like your friend did ok despite the residual pain from being  unable to take pain meds. How is he doing now? Long term.

I do understand the other medicines, and I already take some that will be for life even after repairs if all goes well.It would be an amazing thing to walk without extreme pain.. I cannot remember how good that would be.. The pool is great because it takes off the pressure and eases back the impact pain...while in the pool. all the things you mention I am hopeful for as a loss of independence is really devastating!
« Last Edit: 10/12/2009 02:07:50 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums