The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Another Model of Gravity  (Read 10839 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Another Model of Gravity
« Reply #25 on: 29/12/2009 19:32:14 »
Ok, although I disagree on vacuum not being 'real' :)
Or maybe you meant that it was real after all?

You comparing it to imaginary numbers confuse me a little.

To me it contains distance, therefore it exist as a constituent of SpaceTime. Therefore it is real, as 'real' as anything else that have a geometrical form.
But your idea of vacuum creating mass is definitely a new one to me.

So where would you think that infinite supply of vacuum would come from?

Offline Atom Smasher

• First timers
    • View Profile
Another Model of Gravity
« Reply #26 on: 29/12/2009 20:09:56 »
Ok, although I disagree on vacuum not being 'real' :)
Or maybe you meant that it was real after all?

You comparing it to imaginary numbers confuse me a little.

To me it contains distance, therefore it exist as a constituent of SpaceTime. Therefore it is real, as 'real' as anything else that have a geometrical form.
But your idea of vacuum creating mass is definitely a new one to me.

So where would you think that infinite supply of vacuum would come from?

I do believe the vacuum is real.  I just believe it is something that we cannot sense directly.  Can't grab a sample of it for analysis.

My analogy with the imaginary numbers was probably a poor one. Just disregard it.

Infinity is infinity.  If there is an infinite supply, there is always more to replace what is used.  The universe is believed to be infinite and expanding.  Perhaps more vacuum is made as the universe expands.  This is certainly a question that must be addressed at some point; however, right now I'm just trying to establish the framework of the model so that this and other aspects of it can be explored.

I appreciate and welcome your questions and interest.  Please do not hesitate to challenge the fundamentals of what I'm proposing.  I have no problem with modifying or even abandoning a line of thought if I am convinced it is ill-conceived.  I just want to make sure the idea gets a fair evaluation.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Another Model of Gravity
« Reply #27 on: 29/12/2009 20:57:15 »
Well, you turn it around a little.

The other way to see it is that matter is what creates space, or rather that matter and space craves each other to exist. The last one is the one I lean too, even though it is matter that will 'expand' space as seen from a neutron stars perspective. How do you explain that space 'grows' around mass?

It will take me some time to see how you think here.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Another Model of Gravity
« Reply #28 on: 03/01/2010 20:25:31 »
Quote from: LeeE
But I'm afraid it's not good enough to say "I suspect" or talk about "distortions" without defining exactly what those distortions are and explaining why and how they occur.  I'm sorry, but I think this represents a big gap in your explanation.
The speculation does explain why and how the distortions occur :) I only suspect, because it is speculation. I am happy just to be self consistent.

The sum of two related vectors each of which contain direction and amplitude is solved with Pythagoras type equations, just like the Lorentz transforms. That's just another case in the evidence.

« Last Edit: 07/01/2010 21:26:21 by Vern »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Another Model of Gravity
« Reply #29 on: 03/01/2010 20:57:57 »
Well, there's no saying you're wrong, but there's no saying you're right either.  At this level we're dealing with concepts below what is known to be fundamental; it's all speculation until someone comes up with a provable experiment.

(Oh yeah - and the funds to conduct the experiment)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Another Model of Gravity
« Reply #30 on: 04/01/2010 06:49:02 »
Well, there's no saying you're wrong, but there's no saying you're right either.  At this level we're dealing with concepts below what is known to be fundamental; it's all speculation until someone comes up with a provable experiment.

(Oh yeah - and the funds to conduct the experiment)

Well, if at least the experiment was defined, it would be a good start. Funding might come later - or much later.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Another Model of Gravity
« Reply #31 on: 04/01/2010 13:17:33 »
All experiments yet devised in the history of mankind do support it. The problem is that our definition of reality is so vague that the proofs do not matter. For example, once we accept variable space-time as the norm, all the proofs that rely upon relativity phenomena go out the window. It's like trying to build an elaborate structure with an elastic measure.

Edit: The "it" that is supported is the contention that: The final irreducible constituent of all physical reality is the electromagnetic field.

My speculations are mere speculations that I hope are self consistent and show that the contention might be the most fundamental reality in this universe.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2010 13:27:59 by Vern »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Another Model of Gravity
« Reply #31 on: 04/01/2010 13:17:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums