The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you ever had a Thunderclap Headache During Orgasm?  (Read 628721 times)

Offline Aramatminn

• First timers
    • View Profile
Have you ever had a Thunderclap Headache During Orgasm?
« Reply #100 on: 01/09/2007 18:26:08 »
I had a thunderclap headache a few weeks ago. Just as many described here
it felt like vice grip around my skull and ended up at the bottom back of my skull, it started at orgasm and lasted a minute or so after.  I went to the doctor a few days later and they did a CAT Scan and a exam, everything came backnormal.  I haven't had a TC headache since, but I sometimes awake with a stiff neck and wonder if it was from that expereince.Ill also get a tiny headsche behind my nose and eyes (very slight headache. But I would get a stiff neck before the TC headache because of the pillows and the way I sleep. Now Im just paranoid-I think. I'm debating on whether I should have the spinal tap done, fearing maybe the CAT scan missed something.

Im glad I found this forum so I can compare experiences.

Offline Terabriah

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 18/10/2007 17:05:06 »
I also experience these headaches when I have an orgasm. The pain so severe that when I feel the warning sign of it coming on every time I try I am forced to stop. Basically, from a lot of research and talking with other people who have the same problem, the only cure is to stop having sex, stop masturbating, stop having orgasms altogether, for a week or long, it varies. This can be VERY difficult, I know, but it seems to work for everyone who has these problems.

Offline Terabriah

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 19/10/2007 00:42:17 »
newbielink:http://healthgate.partners.org/browsing/browseContent.asp?fileName=14520.xml&title=Sexual%20Headaches:%20From%20Ecstasy%20to%20Agony [nonactive]
That website provides some good information.

Here is what I tried, this might not work for you:
If you are like me and cannot stop having sex for two to three weeks, then take two or three Excedrin Migraine about 40-60 minutes before intercourse. Then, although you will get shaky and perhaps even feel the need to vomit, you will NOT experience pain. I would still recommend, as I am, trying to avoid sex as much as you can, but for when you simply can't, and you feel the need, pop the pills and go at it. I hope this helps some of you, these headaches are pure AGONY, but hopefully through patience and the help of pain killers you can get through it. If not, and perhaps even if you can but it doesn't go away, SEE a doctor! This could be a sign of serious ailments, and if not their are still other options such as the shot previously mentioned or the medication mentioned in that article I linked above.

Offline Wildpats

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 19/10/2007 01:48:20 »
 Thanks but i need no help with headaches. There was just the one and my life is no longer fun because the bleeding from the burst anuerism has changed not only my sexual performance but every aspect of my physical, intellectual and emotional life. [:-'(] :(

Offline ReaperO

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 23/10/2007 03:36:06 »
Found this site by google.  I experienced my first thunderclap migraine this past weekend. The first one lasted about an hour and a half before receeding to a tolerable pain, but I suffered from minor headaches till the following day., the second one hit 2 days later, both during climax, I went to the hospital got a scan, and turned out everything was fine.  I wanted to mention that after 12 hours of unbearable migraine pain in the back of my head and neck, not even morphine could dull the pain.  The doctor who diagnosed me mentioned that cat scan pick up about 90-95% of what they are looking for, basically 1 out of 20 people who get scanned could still have a problem and not know it.  He performed a procedure called a "Lumbar Puncture". What happens is they freeze an area of your back and take out spinal fluid and test for blood. I just thought I would share this with people, and maybe they could get the procedure done as a safety precaution. It only took a couple of minutes to perform and about 1-1&1/2 hours for results.  Hope this helps.

Offline Kush

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 31/10/2007 21:07:27 »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!POSSIBLE SOLUTION PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone I am 24/M and just recently started working out a month ago at a local gym. I weigh 175 pounds and have a fairly average build.

Three days ago on doing HEAVY Squats where I lay on my back(a pulley system gym machine) and lift about 125 pounds, I found out that after the end of my set, the 2 lobes on each side on the back of my head started hurting like HELL, I got up and walked around and started taking deep breaths through the constant pain and drank some water. In about 3 minutes the MAJORITY OF PAIN went away and I finished the rest of my session of 15 mins more of strength training without any incident. However a lingering pain remained. On reaching home I goggled the symptoms and found MANY MANY MANY WEBSITES describing these headaches/pain affecting MANY MANY people regardless of age and gender.

My first thought was that since I OVER was exerting myself, my blood pressure must have gotten high through the weeks of intense physical training, but on testing my BP after going to my Doctor everything was normal. At the moment my doctor has told me to monitor my BP 3 times a day for a week. and check with him next week Tuesday.

On the 2nd day after I found this website. I tried to masturbate and see if everyones story checks out and yes on the verge of orgasm I had the EXACT PAIN that I felt after the workout on the heavy squat machine. I tried other methods to induce the headaches and found on doing Pushups gave me the SAME PAIN after about 15 reps. Also on Jogging for more then 3 mins resulted in the same PAIN (at the back 2 lobes of my head). Basically ANY sort of exertion in which my heard rate got higher then 130 bips/min.

SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME (COULD be a temporary thing)

Now I visited a Chiropractor clinic that works out of my GYM. On further scanning my spinal cord with an instrument the Chiropractor found intense inflammation at the back of my neck area near the 1st, 2nd and 3rd vertebrate that are localized in between my skull and my neck. The Chiropractor told me that MANY people due lack of proper posture while sitting or sleeping miss-align their vertebrates(this happens over a LONG period of time) which result in a minuscule pinch of nerves that connects your brain to the rest of you body through the spinal chord. This setting will not affect anything when the blood flow is normal, but when the heart rate increases at times during physical exertion or near an instance of achieving an Orgasm, as the blood flow increases, we will feel the pinch of nerves. Even a minor and minuscule pinch could result in intense pain and depending on nerves that are being pinched. Also EVERY SINGLE person will feel pain in a different part of their brain.

After just a single day of realigning my neck area (a very simple procedure, takes a minute with the chiropractor). I felt almost NO pain during my cardio workout. And after the 2nd day of realignment I was BACK to my normal self. I tried Cardio, my regular strength training program and masturbation. I felt NO PAIN during any of these activities.

THIS WORKED FOR ME IT. I HOPE IT WORKS FOR ANONE AND EVERYONE IN THIS FORUM. Best of LUCK

P.S. I would still suggest going for an MRI,CAT,MRA etc scans as your doctors recommend. But if those come Clean by ALL means go to a Chiropractor!

Offline Oneeyedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 04/12/2007 13:22:45 »
I'm sure you're onto something, Kush. From what I've been reading, orgasm headaches probably  have several different causes - but the back and particularly neck tension theory certainly matches up with my experience.

I'm 46, bit overweight (15 stone = 210 lb), I had my first, appalling, orgasm headache about  8 months ago, a few weeks after coming out of hospital for an abdominal hernia repair op. At first, I put it down to - completely unscientific - 'it's too soon after the op to start sex (or, in this instance, masturbation) again.' But they continued - since then I've had maybe 10 or 12 orgasms and every time except twice, more or less the same intensity of headache. The first pain-free time was after about 2 or 3 months when I realised I'd been getting very tensed up 'trying to come', so I deliberately relaxed myself as much as I could, and spent a long time over it, not allowing myself to get too hyped up! I thought I'd cracked it - but no.

After a lot of thought, and web browsing, I had to admit to myself that my problem had actually begun to show up before the op - but then this was the 4th in a series of hernia repairs (previous ones failed, the latest is holding up touch wood) which have - although I've been slow to realise this - left my abdo muscles in a right old state. I'd already been getting lower back pain, this was added to about 2-3 years ago by upper back/shoulder/neck tension (though not, at that stage, headaches - I've never suffered, certainly no history of migraine, and my BP is normal), which I put down to too much PC use at work - which is true. All in all, the last 7-8 years have been a picture of gradually worsening back trouble largely hidden, I think, because until the last - successful - op I'd been spending a lot of time 'having a lie down' because the hernia was painful, or was 'giving me a bad back'.

Now that I'm up and about again, the back problems are really coming home to roost. My back and neck had got, I believe, really weak over the years and now I'm paying the price. Having said all that, I'm not ready to give up on sex completely. I may be 46 - and 3 kids can have a pretty serious effect on your sex life! - but GPs who say 'it's nothing to worry about' need yelling at, IMHO. Oh, nothing to worry about - just the end of your sex life in a blaze of head-mashing pain. Take some ibuprofen.

Onto possible solutions - I've taken up Pilates, cos I know my core strength is really depleted. I am utterly amazed at how inflexible my body has become - and an osteopath described my shoulders and neck as 'like a rock'. It's incredible, the amount of tension you can carry about before you become aware of it. It's no magic cure - I've only been at it about 6 weeks - but recently, I was desperate to have an orgasm - let's face it, it builds up - and decided to try masturbating after doing about 15 minutes of upper-body, shoulder and neck-focused Pilates exercises. I can hear my neck creaking and crunching as I do them. Well, it wasn't pain-free: but whereas previously the headache was 100% pain, like all your toothaches come at once, behind the eyes, in the roof of your mouth, this time it was maybe 30%. Sort of an ordinary, perfectly manageable headache. Yes, I could feel it approach as I approached orgasm (as before). But it didn't utterly ruin the experience, in fact it was the first orgasm I've enjoyed for about 6 months. Now if 6 weeks of exercise can do that...

So, Kush, I'm off to find myself a decent chiropractor I think - maybe look into head massage. And the Pilates continues; for anyone who hasn't tried it, it's really nice - no straining, slow, deliberate, focused, and safe because your body is always protected by positioning - you lie down a lot! For me, I'm convinced it's a neck tension/nerve issue - and, as Pilates teaches you, your entire spine and pelvis are one big system, you can't isolate just one part. I'll post again as soon as I've any news - please do the same, if there's anything we need it's hope!!

Offline imre1

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 05/12/2007 12:53:01 »
I am wondering:

Has any of you ever experienced orgasmic headaches that did not come with a thunder clap.

It is this lack of thunder clap that made me believe that from all the cases (1, 2, 3) I seem to be recurrently suffering from type 4.

Actually a sex induced migraine, lasting for days, without the thunderclap.

Offline imre1

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 05/12/2007 12:57:53 »
Anyway, if this too is a standard orgasmic headache. I concur with Oneeyedguy. Doing physical excercies prior to orgasm seriously reduces the symptoms. I noticed this too when I came back from power training some days back.

Also you could incorporate physical excercises into masturbation. by repeatedly going to the point of no return and then stopping to do something else.

Offline edwinh

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 17/12/2007 01:43:36 »
I'm 51, male, and just had my first one of these.  I jumped on google, read a bunch of articles about it and found this site.  The discussions here have been helpful.  I had the explosive onset type just at orgasm.   It lasted a few minutes, and found it excruciating for the first minute or two.

I was definitely not in a relaxed state.  Every now and then I enjoy a particularly intense orgasm where my whole body is tensed and my breathing somewhat restrained.   I'm not as athletic as I used to be, but I do play some pretty high intensity basketball, mostly with younger men, two or three times a week, and am a little surprised to get any kind of exertion-related headache.  I'll get this checked out to rule out aneurysm, but at this point I'm guessing it was one of the exertion-related headaches.   Life has been stressful the past several weeks, and for the past week I haven't slept more than four hours at a stretch.  Coupled with the physical stress associated with the position and my breathing, I can just about guarantee my blood pressure was very high.  However, nothing I haven't been doing semi-routinely for most of my life.

It makes a lot of sense now, but it still caught me quite by surprise.  I will get it checked out tomorrow though.

Offline eurochic

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 17/12/2007 15:16:28 »
I had the misfortune to experience my first 'orgasm/thunderclap' headache 3 days ago while alone at home [:I]and for a few seconds i thought "this is it-i'm going to die with my rabbit in my hand!"  ::)  It felt as though someone had smashed me at the base of my skull with a crowbar, then the pain spread to my temples and finally the top of my head. It passed within a couple of minutes and i carried on as normal. Perhaps i've just felt a bit spaced out over the weekend if anything, fully expecting a migraine to follow (as i suffer them) but no. It has really shook me up though.
I love masturbating  [:X] and to think i may not be able to enjoy it again without that happening is scary!
Of course i 'googled' it immediately and decided to go see my GP today. I have a CT scan and an echo on my neck (Carotid artery) tomorrow, so will let you know what transpires.  :)

Offline edwinh

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 18/12/2007 01:14:07 »
I went to the doctor, and he ruled out stroke, said it was the benign variety.  I had no nausea, and it disappeared in a few minutes, which are key signatures of the benign variety.  He checked a few other things like my eyes, but was confident it was not an aneurysm. 

It's a strange physiological phenomena... I hope it doesn't happen again.  It did help me decide to take my borderline-high blood pressure seriously, and start taking blood pressure drugs.  I don't want to stroke out anytime soon!

Offline Oneeyedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 20/12/2007 15:40:44 »
Going for an MRA early in January - my GP practice seems to have woken up and taken this a bit more seriously. I'm in a group practice so don't often see same person twice in a row. New GP - very keen - referred me to neurology to get the super-scary aneurysm / tumours / etc causes ruled out. I'll let you know how it went.

Offline barnabusb

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 06/01/2008 04:43:18 »
Man, I just had one of these the other day so I've been Googling it to see what's out there.  Mine came right at the moment of orgasm, and it felt like my head was going to explode.  I was actually pressing on the side and back of my head because it felt like it was ready to burst.  I can pretty confidently say that's the most pain I have ever felt in my entire life.  It lasted for about 2 minutes and then the stabbing pains were gone and I was left with a dull, throbbing ache that went all throughout my skull and down the back of my neck.  Went to the hospital the next day, they admitted me right away, and I opted for a spinal tap.  It came back negative but I'm still dealing with a low ache in my head.  It started to go away the other night, actually, but I played some video games and it came back!  How much does that suck?  I'm going to my family doctor for a follow-up and hopefully a CT scan just to be 100% sure there isn't anything brewing up there...  It's interesting to see posts from others who experience the same thing, though.  It's pretty scary stuff.

Edited to add:  I guess I'll throw some personal info out there for those keeping score.  Male, 28 years old.  No sinus problems or history of headaches or anything similar.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2008 04:53:42 by barnabusb »

Offline Jkr

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 09/01/2008 08:55:21 »
Reading through completely on this after experiencing a terribly severe version, it would appear that the tension of holding your breath, raising blood pressure and previous injury on neck or posture at the time would appear to be the main culprit age doesn't seem relevant as I'm 67 and they have only happened in the last couple of years however there are various reports of youngsters.  It is a terrible frightening experience, the worst being that your partner doesn't realise how totally unbearable and frightening it is.

Offline Mark l D

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 10/01/2008 04:23:35 »
I respectfully disagree.
What is being described is a time when the neck is under pressure anyway.
At this time, the added pressure of the sex experience causes a joint to be under such physical stress that the body goes into "defence mode" ... and when it is in such a mode, it will tighten up to prevent injury through further movement.

Such a defence mode has three stages ... one is that things loosen immediately and all you have to do is deal with the effects of the sudden muscle response ...
The second is the three day rule - that is the body keeps itself locked up for 60 - 72 hours to allow things to recover. The third stage is "permanent mode" which implies the joint is not released and the body has to learn to adapt to cope with the slight loss of function.

Sex and the orgasm is only the TRIGGER point.
The issue is that the body is already in a posture which supplies stress to the neck, and this sets it over the edge.

After you deal with the crisis - you have to deal with the underlying issue.

Try this - a long term, simple idea.
I have purchased a double sized tennis ball. They are designed as a pet toy and are cheap to buy. Alternatively a rolled up towel will do as well.

Lie down on you back. Place tennis ball or rolled up towel under the neck.
Notice that the neck is now fully supported on this.
Relax as much as you can, knowing that the neck is fully supported.
Now massage down the sides of the neck ... GENTLY and concentrate on relaxing.

Stop for a few moments, and still with your neck supported, gently move the head and the neck from side to side ... slow, gentle and very small movements.
again twist the head slightly to one shoulder, then the other. Then relax again for a few minutes, then remove the ball/towel and relax for another minute.

Do this two to three times a week - it takes months to work as you are not treating the joint, you are training the brain that it is OK to relax and move the muscles of the neck.

« Last Edit: 10/01/2008 06:56:44 by Mark l D »

paul.fr

« Reply #116 on: 10/01/2008 09:00:33 »
Not sure if this is relevant, but it may be worth reading and following up on.

Scientists have found that men are more likely than women to be telling the truth if they say: "Not tonight darling, I've got a headache".
A team of German researchers has begun to investigate the phenomenon of sexual headaches - a condition known as Orgasmic Cephalgia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2367201.stm

We found that the vast majority of patients suffered from an explosive and very severe headache starting suddenly around the orgasm

Dr Achim Frese 
They have discovered that it is three times more likely to strike men.

The headaches usually come on suddenly around the point of orgasm, and can be very severe.

The researchers believe the condition affects around one in a 100 people at least once during a lifetime, but some people are afflicted on a regular basis.

Although the precise causes are not yet understood, it is thought that the condition may be linked to the increased blood flow and dilation of blood vessels that occur during sex.

The German team is carrying out research aimed at solving the mystery.

They stress that people do not develop the condition as a result of particular partners or sexual habits. Neither is it linked to any form of brain damage or disease.

It is most common among young people, and is most likely to strike for the first time between the ages of 20 and 25.

Researchers Dr Achim Frese and Dr Stefan Evers, from the University of Munster, examined patients who had complained of sexual headaches.

Severe pain

Dr Frese, who presented preliminary results from the study at a meeting of the European Federation of Neurological Societies in Vienna, said: "We found that the vast majority of patients suffered from an explosive and very severe headache starting suddenly around the orgasm.

"The others suffered from a dull headache with the pain increasing more gradually before the orgasm."

In most cases the headaches appeared during intercourse with a regular partner, or while masturbating.

Dr Frese said; "About half of the patients had realised that they could avoid some of the headache attacks by intensifying the sexual excitement more gradually."

Some patients were prescribed preventative treatment such as beta-blockers - drugs given to migraine sufferers - or the pain killer indomethacin.

Typically, sexual headaches appeared in bouts of a few weeks duration and resolved themselves spontaneously. Most patients had only one bout while others had two or three.

See also:

27 Jul 99 | Health
Migraine wrecks sex for millions

04 Sep 02 | Health
Family doctors get headache tips

19 Mar 02 | Health
The secret of successful sex

Internet links:

Sexual headache
European Federation of Neurological Societies
University of Munster

Offline dragon

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 12/01/2008 06:21:02 »
Hi all,
Here is my little story.  35, male, and happy I am not alone though I wish none of us would have that.

I have suffered a major headache somewhere around dec 27.  The pain was overbearing.  It was located in the back of the head.  I suffered a few hours before falling asleep.  When I woke up, I was a bit better, with a lesser headache.
12 hours later, I suffered a second thunderclap.  Same thing, it went away when falling asleep, but it was more severe.   
2 days later, dec 31, a suffered the 3rd one.  My wife took me to the hospital.  They quickly put me in bed.  They gave me some morphine like pills (dilaudil).
They took a scan of my head.  It was getting dangerous, so they acted quickly.  Nothing showed on the scan.  They did a lumbar punction, took some liquid from my spine.  There was blood in it, so that could mean my head was filling with blood.

They sent me by ambulance to the Neurologic institute.  There, they rescanned me, did an angiogram (they inserted liquid to color my head, from my groin to my brain, very unpleasant).  It appears there are no damage to my brain.  They let me go as the pain lessened with the pills.

Four days later (jan 4) I am not feeling any better.  Normal headache.  I have strain in my neck.  They have no idea what to do to help me.

So I went to see a chiropractician.  Where usual medecine fails, maybe an alternative can help.  He cracked my bones, telling me my jaw was misplaced (how could he have known?  I suffered a hit on my jaw playing hockey 4 weeks ago), and that was unbalancing my occiput (a bone of some sort in my neck). 

My condition was getting a bit better, but every little effort brings back the headache... like going to the bathroom... sitting on the can is now a frightening experience, where I  must control my breath.

This is ruining my life for 2 weeks now, I monitor my blood pressure, cause I feel it is related.  I see the chiro every 3 days, am going to see an osteopath next tuesday.  Hope they find what is wrong with me, I cannot live a normal life with the fear the thunderclap coming back to torment me.  The pain is always located in the back of my head, just above the neck.

Last night, had a nightmare, guess what.... I woke up with a thunderclap.  Now I'm afraid to go to sleep.

Am taking amitryptiline, which is supposed to help, but only in a few weeks will I see some changes.

I will let you know if anything works.  Sorry if it's a bit gibberish, I am experiencing confusion lately.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2008 06:27:47 by dragon »

Offline dragon

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 29/01/2008 19:03:48 »
I might give you an update.  After several weeks of pain, the TC (thunderclaps) have lessened.  The chiropractor and osteopath have done a good job replacing vertebraes and muscles that were misplaced or weakened.  My jaw, as it turned out, was unbalanced, missing two teeth in the left and one too many on the right side.  Added to the fact that i chew on the left side (I'm right handed) the strain on the left side of my head is greater than on the right side.
Now I chew on the right side, eventually i'll try to balance that.  I'll try to get the one tooth too many on the right taken out, and I'll fill one hole in the left side of my mouth to balance everything.
I am taking walks daily now, and concentrate on sitting up rigth.  I have also changed pillows, the chiropractor says a smaller pillow would help.
I am still taking amitryptyline to prevent TC.
I still have headaches daily, but no TC. 
I will post something in the future to keep everyone informed.

Offline Oneeyedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 24/02/2008 23:04:01 »
Update: since my last post I've been back to my GP several times, he at least seems to be taking it a bit more seriously - he referred me to the neurology dept of my local hospital. I have had some pretty bad times at this particular place, so I tried to opt for a different hospital, but the appointment ended up at the local one anyway.

The doctor I saw there was absolutely awful; I don't think I've ever had a worse consultation, and I've had a few, with a recurrent hernia problem and other stuff. He listened to me for perhaps 20 seconds, and started telling me that I didn't have a problem, that sex headaches weren't a problem anyway, that they don't last. When I asked how he knew they didn't last, he said he'd seen 'a lot of these cases' and he never saw anybody come back, so they must be OK. I thought, yeah mate, they wouldn't come back to YOU. He said there was nothing he could do, had I tried paracetamol? I'm not making this up, I wish I was. I asked him to try to understand how this felt to me - i.e. all sexual activity at an abrupt end. He just repeated that it was nothing for me to worry about, and it would go away. I really wanted to believe him, I can tell you. None of this was said with any concern, any sympathy, it was just, you think you're ill, but I'm telling you you're not.

In the end, I thought, all I want out of this guy is a scan to rule out tumours, aneurysms, AVMs. He told me there'd be nothing, but I insisted and he eventually agreed to a scan.

Had the scan earlier this month, it turned out to be a CT scan rather than MRA, not too sure how much difference that makes. Got results 2 days ago, doc was right - no abnormalities showed up which is a big relief, so I'm now left with the question of what to do. I'm more than ever convinced it's all rooted in the neck/base of skull region. I've been skint since Christmas so haven't been to osteopath (40 a go). Neck and shoulders tight as anything, I can hear them creaking and crunching. Only tried sex once since last post, it was disastrous, huge headache well before approaching orgasm. Despite trying not to exert myself too much, I ended up getting quite physical - and that's what brought the headache on, ie NOT orgasm because I didn't really approach it. So my heart was beating really strongly and I was really turned on, erection, everything - but the effort I was putting in brought the roof down - so it's true, I think at least in my case, about sex headaches being a variant of exertion headaches.

I can't help thinking that, although various types of headache are discussed on medical websites - sexual, exertional, cervicogenic - it's all one syndrome in reality. I think I've got shoulder and neck problems brought on by poor posture and too much computer use, that have either caused disc problems at the top of my spine and/or tightened up the neck muscles a lot, and it's compressing a nerve, or somehow giving it less than the usual amount of space. During exertion, the dilation of blood vessels in that area is the final straw, squeezing the nerve and causing the pain. This is kind of what Mark I D is saying, I think - and I tend to agree. I don't really know, I'm guessing and would so much like to see somebody who actually a) sympathizes and b) knows what they're on about.

I've got no proof, and I want my osteopath to see the CT scans - the hospital are being incredibly unhelpful about that - to check this out, I dunno if they can find anything though. At the end of the day, only exercise and osteo offer any relief - and I have to pay for both. Pilates and osteopathy were costing me 80 a month before Xmas, so much for the NHS. I've been referred to NHS physiotherapy and they don't lay a finger on you, just check your range of movement and give you a mild ticking off about poor posture.

I'm beginning to think I need to get right away from any computer for a couple of years, but my job - like so many these days - is dependent on PC use. I try like mad to get my posture right, but it doesn't seem to help, I guess once you're getting a lot of pain it'll take more than that to stop it.

So - I'm rattling with ibuprofen, cos if I don't take em, I get a low-level headache all day long most days, and I can't concentrate. It's back to the osteopath as soon as I can afford it, it's back to my GP to persuade him to refer me on the NHS, but the GP's attitude to osteopathy is really, really bad - they just look at you down their nose, and pretend not to know what it is. My GP actually said - when I mentioned osteo - oh, are they the ones who try and reset your vertebrae? I said no, that's chiropractors - but he was misunderstanding on purpose, I reckon. When I told my osteopath, he said he wasn't in the least surprised - most GPs seem to think osteopathy has the same level of medical efficacy as dancing naked in the light of the full moon. It really hacks me off, next time I go to my GP I'm very likely to say, well what are you 'conventional' doctors doing for me? Osteopathy SO isn't 'alternative' - and what if it was? It works - that's why I pay.

I'm nervous about chiro, having read nightmares of people getting carotid artery damage and strokes. But I reckon that's my next step. I have to admit, though, that I'm not doing the Pilates exercises regularly, cos I get disheartened by the whole deal. My wife's convinced it'll just go away, but I can't share her optimism. So after reading the other posts on here - it SO helps to read what others are doing - I reckon exercise is the right road to go down, maybe the only road. I'm going to get as much massage as possible to really try and loosen up my shoulders and neck, which are just so tight right now, really get disciplined on the Pilates, and just do what I can, because I'm not prepared to see sex slip away from me.

Offline dompech

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 26/02/2008 21:16:19 »
I too have had these headaches.
My first was at the point of ejaculation.It was as awful as described by others with the feeling of my brain trying to exit via the base of my skull.The dull throb or aftershock lasted for 30 minutes after.My next episode came in the gym whilst doing warmup exercises.So this was NOT during a moment of intense hightenened breathing or hightened heart rate.I did not continue with my work out but stopped before anything bad happened.I had a further headache 3 weeks later during sex again this time i went to the doctor who sent me to the hospital.I had a scan and a lumbar puncture which both came back clear.The resident neurologist took interest and finally came back with the thunderclap theory.
A change of lifestyle was what it took to stop these episodes.No more gym a different girlfriend and generally taking life at a different pace.
On a note i did have smaller headaches whilst at secondary school after running long distance races.

Offline Oneeyedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 20/03/2008 17:17:50 »
Update: been back to osteopath, he's done ultrasound & acupuncture on my neck - some improvement in general headacheyness. Been doing my own exercises more: especially head rotations, side-to-side stuff etc, all helping to ease my neck & shoulders.

BUT - no improvement in the crucial area. Tried masturbating, was hoping for improvement because my neck and shoulders were feeling better - but no. Same old big headache, and I waited for it to slowly wear off, which usually takes anywhere between 10 minutes and several hours. I tried massaging area just in front of my ears - result! It immediately began to ease the pain, and after just 1 min the pain had practically gone.

OK, it's not a cure - but it's surely a big signpost to where the problem is. I've been checking out stuff on the trigeminal nerve (cos that innervates the areas where I get pain) and it has a big ganglion in exactly that area. And I've been wondering whether this isn't a TMJ problem - temporo-mandibular joint. In other words, jaw misplaced. I had a whack on the head maybe 2-3 years ago and I was convinced then that it had altered my bite.

More when I find it out. Could it be specs?

Offline decolady

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 20/03/2008 23:52:07 »
oh you lot are amazing!!!! thankyou all so much for what you write..i have just got back together with someone after 10 very traumatic weeks apart,and EVERY time i have had an orgasm (5 times in 2 meetings) this pain has been unbearable.it is like someone putting your head in a vice and turning it...about 30 seconds before climax,i feel the pain start,and the trouble is,a) i want the orgasm,b) i don't want to frighten the boyfriend,so i carry on...i then climax but am holding my head and can't do anything else for ages...4 hours after the last time this has happened,and i am now sitting writing here,with just a dull throb in my head,but the pain at the time is excruciating..now i wonder how much is due to the anticipation..ie before we split i never had this,how much could be psychological..and potentially is something underlying?like most others on here,first time i thought my head was going to explode...thankyou to you all for your sensible words..and eve hanks to the unsensible ones that made me smile!i'm not so scared now,but i am going to get this checked out.for the stats,am 46,overweight and in love lol!love hurts right?! x

Offline taffywilliams

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 17/04/2008 10:08:39 »
Hi Guys - I too have just had my first experience of an encruciating headache just prior to and during orgasm. This happened last night and was quite scarry, I felt like my head was about to explode.  I must say that I will feel a bit foolish going straight to my GP.  I may try being a bit more relaxed during my next sexual activity.  I am a 49 male and have never had any history of migranes/headaches, I am not overweight and I am quite fit. 

Do any of you who have suffered over the last few months have any improvements or great cures that you can share.  I am worried that this may not be simple to cure. I don't want to be afraid to have sex!

Paul

Offline Oneeyedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 23/04/2008 15:12:27 »
After a year of absolute misery with this I think I might be coming out of it. In the last month, I've had about 5 orgasms, 4 of which have been pain-free, 1 of which was maybe 20% painful compared to the 100% headcrushers. I wish I could say with full confidence it was down to something really specific - I've been trying to do regular Pilates, I've been seeing an osteopath re my painful, tensed-up neck, he's been giving me acupuncture as well as massage, ultrasound. I have had advice and support from others on this forum, for which so many thanks, it helps when you know others are coping and some things do seem to work. But if I'm honest I think it has just gone away 'by itself'. My neck's not been great lately, but this has still happened. It's not completely the same as it was before; I can sense something rumbling 'in the background' when I come, a sort of faint echo of the pre-headachey sensation. But they don't appear, and I am learning to relax and enjoy orgasms again. The first time, I just lay there waiting for it to explode. When it hadn't happened after about a minute, I was like, what the hell is happening? I put it down to a fluke. But no fluke. It might come back, I guess; I'm just trying to enjoy things while I can.

So don't lose hope. Don't stop trying, every so often - otherwise you'll never know. If you've been checked out and the docs are satisfied it's benign sexual headache, then you aren't risking your health as far as I can see. What else can I tell you? They went away after a really bad 2-week bout of flu. I lost 3/4 stone - maybe that helps? But I felt dreadful during the flu, my neck was killing me, I got really dehydrated, couldn't keep a thing down, had to go into hospital at one stage. Came out, drained. Two weeks later, the clouds have started to lift. If anything changes, I'll be back on here, but for now - don't give in to feeling hopeless. Just say to yourself, I'm changing my approach to sex. Cuddle, get aroused - you can't help it - but don't push it. Exercise, try to feel healthier. And every so often, try to come, as gently and relaxed as you can.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #124 on: 23/04/2008 15:12:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums