The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you ever had a Thunderclap Headache During Orgasm?  (Read 627916 times)

BriDog67

Have you ever had a Thunderclap Headache During Orgasm?
« Reply #125 on: 30/05/2008 02:08:38 »
Hello all,
Glad I found you guys. I've had this problem since age 16 (now 41) Here's the commonalities in my case.

1 - Happens every summer when the weather gets warm, never during the winter (I live in MI, USA)
2 - I have smoked marijuana the entire tim
3 - Orgasm at least once a day
4 - I'm non athletic and slightly overweight

I've been to the doctor numerous times and none have ever helped me, one doctor left the room to google it. I've just learned to live with it. I know when it first happens that it will be 2-3 weeks before it goes away. Someone mentioned taking Exedrin Migraine a couple hours prior, I tried it and it may have helped a bit. Breathing is definately the key. I tend to hold my breath and tense up a lot. Controlling that reduces the pain by about 60% for me. If anyone, ANYONE has found a successful remedy for this PLEASE let us know.

Offline ptor

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 02/06/2008 16:16:11 »
Had my 1st experience last week....just before orgasm the base of my skull felt like a vise crushing it. I rarely get headaches so was concerned. Took 2 advil after it subsided 15min later. Still had a dull headache. 2 days later could feel the same pain building when started masturbating so stopped. 2 days later I still have a dull headache. No real pain its just there. If it persists in a few more days will go in to get a scan just to make sure. Im 41, very fit/active, no neck pain, history of low blood pressure. Will focus on breathing 2 c if that makes any difference. Thanks for all your postings.

Offline Retry2

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 11/06/2008 12:19:32 »
Edit: I too am having the sinus drainage/pleghm problem...and it showed up right before the recurrence of the headaches

I'm 20 years old, male, and on the heavier end of the still athletically capable scale...I had my first thunderclap headache last year, during the summer, and continued to have them for a few months. Needless to say, their timing in my sex life had put some strain on my new wife and I. But in my case, they also occur when I do push ups, which is markedly close to the missionary position so I had thought there to be a correlation, which I'm not so sure about now, as masturbation causes them too. They went away during the winter, which I hadn't even thought about attributing to the season. And then the Army shipped me to Korea, before my scheduled MRI. I hadn't thought about the headaches much during this winter, seeing as how I've been without sexual contact, but yesterday, as the summer started to get back in full swing, i got a headache during my pushups that was so severe I passed out. The military doctors here are useless, and haven't been asking the right questions when I talked to them, but after a few minutes online I found a possible name for my problem at the very least "Coital Cephalgia" 

here is just what wikipedia has had to say about it

newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coital_cephalalgia [nonactive]

If anyone else has any information regarding this problem....PLEASE post
« Last Edit: 11/06/2008 12:43:53 by Retry2 »

Offline anubisdogg

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 07/07/2008 06:11:06 »
I have just found this website, I am a 21 year old male. I started having these headaches last year they lasted about 4 months and happened every time I had sex or masturbated. Then just as quickly as they came they were gone again. Now almost a year later they started up 2 nights ago. I have been to the doctor but am going to a different one in the next week. I don't have any sinus problems or allergies at all. I have low blood pressure but that is in hand and my p/b is usually normal. I did find that sometimes taking Advil before sex helps, at least a little bit.

Alexander

Offline EvilHeadAches

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 14/07/2008 22:06:32 »
First One happened last night. Girlfriend is a nurse, im a firefighter. We both thought i was having an anyeurism. Started to subside so we calmed down a bit. Woke up this morning with the same dull ache at the base of skull, moving to my peripherals and right behind my eyes. Found this to be the best explanation. Not going to sit here and say im not devastated. But i guess i have it too. coital cephalalgia. look it up. It might sound familiar. Have an awesome day. OH YEAH...im only 22... This sh1t better not last forever

Offline Paka

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 26/07/2008 04:31:47 »
Hello All,
I had this headache today for the first time and it was sudden, right at the "Big O". it was all the back of my head and neck, heart beat was very high (I could feel it) (my heart beat is usually 95-100).  I have experience the very same headaches when I work a lot under high temperature or under the sun (like gardening)  it usually starts gradually but this time it was suddenlly, but it was the same pattern and intensity as when I dont take my medicine inmediately when it starts.  Also I kind of have the same headache in the middle of the night when I used my pillow in certain way that makes some kind of pressure on my neck on the back of my head.  My guess is there might be some kind of blockage at the area of the neck of where the head starts and when there is some kind of pressure makes it worse.  Does anyone have any news about this?  also I am close to the visit of "Aunt flow" Any of you were close to it when you had this episode?  I am just trying to find any common factors to put something together so that when I go to the Doc I have something to say that I am not along [:-[]   
Thahk you All.

Offline omglol

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 04/08/2008 07:30:27 »
He-ya ho.

Alright.

I saw this thread randomly after searching for something completely different on google.

« Last Edit: 13/08/2008 05:05:35 by omglol »

Offline Monarch

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 02/09/2008 16:02:48 »
WOW! This headache happened to me just last night.  This was about the third time this has happened in a years time.  But last night I thought my head was going to explode.  The pain went from the top of my head and ran across the top to the back of the neck.  Extreme pain I had never felt before.  I thought I was having an aneurysm.  I then began to cry because the pain was so bad, which probably made it worse.   We had to stop before the orgasm ever happened.  [:(!]   Right after I took two Excedrin and the pain subsided but went to dull pain behind my eyes and in my neck for many hours.  I woke up without the headache thank goodness, but the thought of it returning during sex is scary.  Not sure if I should see a doctor or not.  I have had sinus problems, not sure if thats a factor as other have had too.  As for the blood pressure, I am willing to bet it was sky high during this headache!

P.S.  To those of you wondering in other emails....Sex is better after 40.  Amazingly indescribable.  ;) You younger folks will just have to find out for yourselves when you get here.  I would hate to have to stop now!

Debra

Offline seacanvas

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 05/09/2008 19:41:11 »
I'm new here - I have been reading about these orgasm headaches for 1 1/2 hours - made my headache subside  :o

I'm going to share something personal - but it is relevant, that's why I share it. I'm a 39 year old female, single, and had probably the most fantastic sex ever about 4 days ago - with myself, of all things. I thought I was on the plateau of being in a constant orgasmic state for a good 30 minutes - or so it felt at the time. I had never experienced anything like it - and in all my orgasms through the years, I've gotten to know my body enough to know when it's going to be a little "plff...", a moderate "oh yeah" or a big wowzie...

This one, let's just say, felt like I was going to the point of no return... only I never got there, because that's when this "thunderclap headache" you are all describing happened. I tried to ignore it because I felt so close, but the overpowering headache was too much and I had to stop. It felt like all those things mentioned - like an aneurysm, or like my head was going to pop off my body. I had a mild headache the day after.

I thought nothing of it the next night, though, and remembered the great time I had, so I tried again, to have it repeat, nearly identically. Sigh. The next day, another mild headache all day long.

I took a day off (ha) and tonight I just touched myself no more than 2 minutes and got another unbelievable headache. This was not anywhere near the stimulation that had brought on the other headaches.

So now that I've read everyone else's experiences and recommendations, here is what I can say about me and my experience.... I am overweight and was recently in Hong Kong. I got some Chinese medicine that's supposed to help increase metabolism by opening the arteries and blood vessels in the body while you are digesting food (you take them after you eat). I don't know the name of the herb or combination of herbs, but I've been losing weight in a way that is gradual and has no side effects. I don't feel anything when I take the pills. I wonder now if these pills are partly related to this experience? I say that because, when the headaches happen, I can feel my heart beating hard and pulses in my head that really feel like blood pumping in to my brain. The pills are supposed to help with lessening hardening of the arteries or clearing debris that is trying to set into artery walls (particularly the fat deposits - or I suppose it's called astherosis, spelling?). Since I'm overweight I wanted something to help increase my metabolism (since I know that is a problem) and wanted to make sure I'm not doing myself in with the artery thing.

In my personal history of orgasm experiences, sometimes when I'm trying to orgasm, I will be trying so hard that I notice I'm so tense that I can't "let go" - and if I try to "make it happen" I seem to frustrate the process. Sometimes I've had experiences where I will orgasm in those moments - but they are of the "pfff" NADA variety, hardly worth it, so I've learned to do this "apple grabbing game" while I'm trying to make myself relax.

It goes like this. I picture myself reaching into a paper bag. And I'm trying to get the "apple" that is on the bottom of the bag, below all the other apples on top of it. Before I start reaching, I am completely tense, and as I start reaching for bottom of the bag, going through all the apples, my body slowly relaxes, little by little, until I don't feel any tension anywhere. The point at which I can grab the apple at the bottom, of course, is the point of climax.

I find the more I make myself relax... if I can hold the orgasm back until I feel no tension anywhere (I pay really close attention to my feet, toes, legs, thighs, pelvic area, especially), then I end up having a lovely, flowering orgasm of the "medium variety" - lovely, satisfying, but not intense, necessarily.

So I say all this because I noticed that when I got this headache this week for first time, I was so tense that I almost couldn't let go of the tension. I was trying the "apple grabbing game" technique, but it wasn't working because I was trying to orgasm in a new way and new position than normal. This created the tension - yet I felt I was on the precipice of a new experience - had I really had the orgasm, it might have been body - blowing

(I won't say mind-blowing because IT WAS MIND-BLOWING, literally!)

Another factor - I had used, for the first time, this sensual oil that is supposed to heat up when you stimulate the area you apply it to. I put this oil around the clitoris area, and it really heightened the entire experience. I could feel everything. After this headache, I wondered if that oil might have caused a nerve to heat up a bit much and send a signal to the brain. Like an internal temperature gauge blowing. That's kinda what it felt like.

Anyway, jeez.... I think I gotta take a break from sex now. So... I plan to go to the Dr. anyway and get the MRI just to be safe. I'm going to take my pills and see what they say about them, if there might be any possible side effects to them I wasn't aware of. I'm very shy to talk about this because I'm in a foreign country and it's embarrassing to do that here, not to mention the language barrier. Sigh. But I suppose better safe than sorry.

Oh my God, these headaches feel absolutely horrible and scary. Tonight I really thought I was going to throw up after 2 minutes. I made my way to the medicine cabinet, downed 2 pills for headaches, turned on the air conditioner and sat under it, took my shirt off because I was so incredibly hot. (The weather where I am is not excessively hot). I turned on the computer and started reading about this, get my mind on other things, and now I feel normal again (aside from a mild headache).

I read somewhere, in a sex book for couples with sex problems, to focus on enjoying touching each other, but not putting so much focus on orgasm - or making each other "come". This is coming to mind now - though I'm with myself, maybe I need to do that ... focus more on enjoying my body instead of trying so hard to make myself come. But in my experience, I've never come by relaxing the whole time during the process.

Maybe this goes to show that that old saying that there really can be too much of a good thing?

Offline seacanvas

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 05/09/2008 19:48:27 »
I forgot to ask, the point of telling you my story of how I orgasm is this - women, have you ever been able to make yourself orgasm without tensing at all? How did you do it? With me, it seems to always start with tensing and me becoming more and more relaxed. Because of these headaches, I'm realizing part of this might be I need to learn how to not tense anymore when I'm in the process of orgasm, but I don't even know if that is possible?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #135 on: 09/09/2008 17:16:34 »
Can someone refresh my memory, what's an orgasm?

Offline seacanvas

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 25/09/2008 23:44:37 »
I reread my previous post, and wow, I was horny  :o I guess after reading 6 pages about orgasms, it got to me....

I wanted to get back on here, even though this thread doesn't look as active anymore to let people know something important, which is more important, your money or your life? I'm serious.

In my case, things haven't turned out favorably. I had lots of blood tests run and an MRI. My blood tests were great, normal levels for everything, low cholesterol, but my MRI showed a middle cerebral artery stenonis - meaning, atherosclerosis in the middle artery in the brain, the one that goes smack down the middle. I found this out 3 days ago. I'm about 80 lbs overweight, and the dr. looked me square in the face and said, "you need to lose weight as soon as possible, safely." He said it very, very seriously. I got the impression it was "do or die." He basically said I'm at risk for a stroke.

I will give you more history on my symptoms, in case anyone else is wondering, or can use the information. But that week I was having the orgasms and experiencing the headaches, one night it was so bad, I went to the bathroom because I felt like I was going to vomit. Everything was spinning, my vision was blurry - I just remember bracing myself against the wall. I remember being in there about 40 minutes, just praying for the headache to go away, it literally felt like my head was going to pop off my body. When I went back in the livingroom, I noticed 3-4 drops of blood on the floor (not menstrual blood). I had no idea where that came from? I didn't hurt anywhere.

That's when I got on the internet, found this thread, and FOLLOWED THE ADVICE TO GET IT CHECKED. I know how it feels to not have insurance. I thank God I have insurance because I may have not gone to get it, for the same reason. But, get yourself checked to make sure there is no problem because it could mean your life!

Anyway, so I laid off on the masturbating for the time being, and started eating really well and exercising every night. But, while exercising, I would feel these headaches coming on, so I'd just back off on the exercising and stop before they got bad. I remember one morning being at the grocery store and these people tried to butt in line ahead of me. I got upset and told them to wait their turn; I could feel the blood rise to my head and my head started pounding. I remember deciding right then and there, "Don't get upset over this." I breathed, and calmed down, and the pounding subsided.

This week was when I found out what my MRI said. I'm not eating a very restricted diet similar to a mediterranean diet (with online research, this is a good diet for this). Per the advice of my doctor, no strenuous exercise, he recommended walking, so I'm walking about 30-60 minutes a night, moderately, to start. Also, he gave me BP medicine, medicine for my blood to help it pass through better, and ibuprophen.

I thought all these tests would come back negative - I've always prided myself on having good health despite an overeating problem (as I've been overweight for 15 years, and love french fries and pasta and etc)... my family has excellent genes - only my grandfather had a stroke, and it was when he was well into his late 70s. Also, my blood pressure is in the normal range! But I'm taking the medicine because I assume the dr. knows what he is doing. I may have that condition where, when I get upset, it skyrockets. Maybe I've had that condition all alone.

If someone is seriously considering NOT getting themselves checked out, or while you are thinking about it, I highly recommend immediately taking divine care of yourself, check your BP when you are upset and when you are calm, and think carefully about whether or not your money or your life is more important.

It's been hard coming to terms with this, but I'm feeling better everyday. I feel soooooo lucky the dr's caught it in time and they are able to help me. I understand the medicine I'm taking will help immensely with cutting my risks for a problem.

Also THANK YOU to the person who was posting on here about having these symptoms then ending up in a wheelchair. Sorry I forgot your name - I had browsed through the thread to find you but couldn't. So here is my thank you. Hearing your story helped me take this seriously and get help.

Offline seacanvas

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 25/09/2008 23:52:04 »
p.s. One mistake above, I said I was not eating a restricted diet, I meant, I am eating a restricted diet now.

The other thing I forgot to say - I've been reading about strokes and was surprised to learn that they can happen to babies, healthy young 20 year olds, as well as middle aged and old. Some people can inherit a problem and not even know it. For example, that 3 year old obviously didn't have a stroke because of bad eating habits, he was hardly here long enough. In my case, I don't know if it's my bad diet, hereditary, or both... my point being, if you read my post, and you are young and/or healthy, don't assume you are not at risk for something serious going on. Better to know you are ok than risk your life, wouldn't you think?

Offline D123456

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 06/12/2008 10:38:31 »
I feel sorry for all of you suffering from this... I suffered from it too, if only for a few days, and I can see how it is no easy thing to just deal with.

I went to my doctor and she perscribed me Cyclobenzaorine, to ease the tension in my neck and relax my muscles and its worked wonders. I have no more headaches or pain...

These headaches came about for me because of my poor posture, sitting at the computer for lengthy amounts of time and not stretching. I think being more active and limber could help in many peoples cases and trying not to let anxiety make you tense up during the day.

I hope this post helps...

Offline flp

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 16/12/2008 04:03:14 »
Four days ago. It was the most godawful headache I have ever had in my life. All the same thoughts and fears. Aneurysm? Stroke? Dying? Felt very drowsy after that, till the next day.

The first thing I found on the net was this forum. God bless every one who gave details on their experience. All the info will help us understand this problem. Doctors don't seem to know much about it. Maybe people are shy about discussing the situation in which it happens?

And again had it a day later, this one was even worse.

The severe pain came on suddenly, starting from the base of the left side of the back of the skull, travelled rapidly upwards and reached the top of the back of the head, and in about 10 to 15 seconds spread down to the base of the right side of the back of the skull and also around the sides towards the front of the head. The pain on the right side was bad but not as intense as on the left side, and the throbbing pain spreading around the head was still less intense though it was also painful.

Had to discontinue sex, couldn't go on, tried to calm down by taking several deep breaths. The pain took very much longer to subside than it took to appear, and in about 30 minutes, downgraded to a lingering headache centred on the back of the head and mild fever for the rest of the day and the next. Couldn't concentrate, restless, very drowsy, constant mild nausea. Took a 6-hour nap, woke up still feeling drowsy. Next day, after a night's sleep, still drowsy and lethargic, feeling just slightly better, still with the mild fever, lingering mild headache, and feeling achy all over.

Did some research on the net. I am no doctor but I think I found what may be the possible cause.

This syndrome appears to be related to an existing infection or sepsis going on elsewhere in the body.

One poster said his chiropractor told him he had a "neck infection". This guy probably knows what he's talking about.

The question to ask is: Do I have or recently had an injury or infection in the nose (sinus), jaw, mouth (gum, teeth), ear, throat, neck (larynx) or lungs (bronchi)? Those are the key areas but there could be an infection somewhere else.

I suspect, in most cases, the answer will be 'yes'.

In my case, it is an abscess I had last week and still have in my jawbone, possibly due to the decay of the original tooth stub in one of my crowns. The abscess is in the left upper jaw bone in the fold between the gum and lip, just under the corner of the left nostril. Right next to the front left sinus. Don't think I have a sinus infection but did have a low fever and constant headache most of last week, been sneezing a lot lately and generally feeling very much under the weather.

Infections of this sort, including sinus, throat and lung infections are very often caused by the common bacteria, Staphylococcus Aureus.

"Over 30 different types of Staphylococci can infect humans, but most infections are caused by Staphylococcus aureus. Staphylococci can be found normally in the nose and on the skin (and less commonly in other locations) of 20%-30% of healthy adults. In the majority of cases, the bacteria do not cause disease. However, damage to the skin or other injury may allow the bacteria to overcome the natural protective mechanisms of the body, leading to infection."
- newbielink:http://www.medicinenet.com/staph_infection/article.htm [nonactive]

The rest of the article is very informative.

So what is the possible connection between an infection in or near the head and coital cephalgia?

Bacterial toxins.

Most bacterial or Staph infections are localised, causing sepsis, redness, swelling, pain and pus at the site of infection. The bacterial activity produces by-products which are toxic to organic tissue, thus causing the symptoms. The bacteria and toxins can infiltrate the bloodstream to cause blood poisoning, a serious life-threatening condition. Or they can spread to and affect other parts of the body also via the bloodstream. You can also get Staph infection through contact with infected persons or their personal items, especially if your immunity is compromised.

So the hypothesis is that, due to a localised infection in, around or near the neck, when the blood pressure increases and/or blood vessels dilate during certain physical activities, the bacterial toxins are swept downstream by the increased blood flow, first into the immediate surrounding circulatory system, which is when the concentration of toxins are at its highest, and then throughout the body.

That the syndrome appears and disappears apparently spontaneously also points to bacterial infection being the probable cause.

Doctors commonly prescribe antibiotics for all sorts of conditions, even for illnesses which are of viral origin, on which antibiotics actually have no effect.

It is possible that the coital cephalgia clears up because the use of antibiotics for some other reason resolved the sepsis which caused the coital cephalgia.

E.g. For years, millions of people suffered chronic gastric problems and ulcers because the cause was unknown, so there was no effective treatment for it, until it was found accidentally that the culprit was a bacteria, Helicobacter Pylori. Patients who took antibiotics for other conditions reported that their gastritis also cleared up.

What would be a possible treatment for coital cephalgia? Antibiotics.

If it can be ascertained that there is a bacterial infection ongoing somewhere in, around or near the head, then a medically-supervised course of antibiotics can be prescribed. A blood culture can also determine the presence of Staph. Also, abscesses may need to be surgically drained and cleaned out.

Sudden onset of a severe headache can also indicate a stroke. So the first time one gets this type of headache, an immediate medical checkup is important. Especially if there are also symptoms such as numbness or weakness in some part of the body, dizziness, blurred vision, slurred speech, nausea, breathing difficulties.

This is what I suggest, if it happens for the first time:

Go for a medical checkup a.s.a.p. to rule out a possible stroke, or other serious diseases.

Also ask for a blood culture to be done to check for Staph infection.

If "there's nothing wrong, everything seems to be normal", then ask for a course of antibiotics. Especially if the Staph test is positive.

Sometimes an active infection can go unnoticed or undetected.

And do finish the antibiotic course properly, according to instructions.

Apart from the antibiotics, there are other things one can do to help the healing; and inform your doctor.

Lay off sex until complete recovery - probably takes about 2 to 3 weeks.
Get more rest or extra sleep.
Drink plenty of liquids daily to flush out the toxins.
Eat more natural foods and avoid processed or refined foods.
Take a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement daily, with meals. Should contain at least 1000mg Vit C and 15mg Zinc; additional cod liver oil also helps. Continue for 1 month, better if taken indefinitely to maintain immunity and good health.
Take first 1 tsp of Echinacea extract, then 20 drops extract 3 times a day, continue for 1 week.
Take 20,000 units garlic oil (capsules) 2 times a day OR 3000 units every 3 hours, continue for 10 days.
One day after the antibiotic course is finished, start taking yoghurt daily for 2 to 4 weeks, or take a good acidophilus supplement capsule for the same period of time.
« Last Edit: 20/12/2008 20:02:14 by flp »

Offline nik

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 15/01/2009 21:22:00 »
So glad to have found these posts, by far the most useful thing I have found on the internet about this. I've read through them all and just thought I would add my own experience because it contains something that I have not read in anybody else's account.

After very little sex in the past 5 years, and none for over a year, I recently became involved with a new partner. Although only 44 I had become aware in the past few years that my erection was not all that it once was, and being quite nervous abut this I hurriedly acquired some viagra from the internet. I am 99% certain that it is the real thing and not a copy/something else entirely.

I used it 4 times, in low (25mg) doses, and from the first use I was aware of a headache on the side and back of my head. Not a bad one, maybe 3/10 on my subjective pain scale. I was not overly bothered about this, having looked at the side effects and followed a few forums, headache is a common side effect.

The 4th time i used it however, I became aware of the full on pain building that other sufferers have described. It built so strongly that I had to cease before orgasm, and at this point had to confess all to my partner, who, to her credit, was very understanding.

Assuming it was all viagra based I stopped using it forthwith. The headaches persisted however, though on all but one occasion, where I again had to cease prior to orgasm, they were manageable. When I masturbated they were maybe 2-3 on my pain scale, and during intercourse 4-5.

My partner was away for a couple of weeks and when she returned we had intercourse again. This would be a month since taking the viagra. The full on pain built just before orgasm but this time I went through with it. Big mistake. 11 out of 10 on my pain scale.

I was beside myself, thought that something was really very seriously wrong, and for around 2 hours was close to calling for an ambulance. This was about 5 in the afternoon. Only the fact that I had had something similar before and not died stopped me.

I did not sleep that night because I could not lie horizontally without increasing the blood pressure in my head, and in the morning, the pain having subsided to about a 7 I went straight to my GP, thinking that I needed to discuss this.

He seemed pretty concerned, particularly as my reflexes were poor in my right leg, and I was sent straight to hospital. A worrying few hours ensued, but the CT scan and lumbar puncture drew a negative and I was sent home.

So here I am, 3 days on from the initial incident, relieved that I am not about to die, but the pain is still a 5.

I am reasonably fit, maybe 10kg overweight, blood pressure fine, but have migraines with vomiting, not aura,  about once every 2 months, and have poor posture and neck/shoulder stiffness due to the usual, constant laptop computer use. Noting others comments, I also have a right sinus that permanently drains into my throat and causes sleep apnea

Neither GP nor consultant appeared particularly interested in the viagra connection, but I thought I would report it here in case it interests others.

I am, of course, stressed to hell about all this. I think the chiropracter route suggested by others is something I might try.

Offline papus

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 21/02/2009 19:20:40 »
I am so glad that I found this feed.  I recently had a problem like this.  I was masterbating the other day and as I started to get excited, I got a stabbing pain in my head above my right ear.  I stopped as I thought I was having a stroke or something and the stabbing calmed but the throbbing continued and felt like it was spreading over the whole right side of my head.  It was the absolute worst headache I have ever had.  Popped some advil and it calmed but didn't actually go away for a couple days.  I tried it again since I didn't get to finish the first time.  It was about 4 days later.  Same thing happened except it was behind my ear this time.  I continued on since I knew it wasn't going to kill me this time.  I wondered would it go away after the climax.  It didn't, in fact it got worse and it was blinding.  Popped some advil again and this time it calmed much more quickly and stayed gone.  I'm curious as to if it will do the same with actual intercourse.  I'm fairly sexually active and have never had this happen before.  I have recently changed medication from Paxil to Effoxor XR and I wonder if that has anything to do with it all. 
Anyone else on anti depressants that have this happening?  Or is it just one of those things?

Offline Eve57

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 05/03/2009 00:41:40 »
Hi all, Cannot believe this site is here, however, am so pleased it is. Have had two of these headaches now and wanted to find out any info that may explain them, hence good old "google". I am a happily married 52 year old female & have recently experience this head pain during intercourse with my husband. The first time on the weekend I literally thought my head was going to explode right off my shoulders. The pain was excruciating. Started as I was working up to climaxing and exploded in my head when orgasm was reached. I was on top and thought that maybe was overexerting myself, so several days later tried different technique and masterbated whilst lying on my back. Same thing, same amount of pain. It was after that I became really concerned and decided I had better check it out. The local GP put me onto HRT 9 months ago because I was beginning to suffer symptoms of menopause. Perimenopausal she called it. Did not do any blood tests to see if oestrogen levels had dropped, & I was still getting regular periods. When I asked about tests to confirm menopause was told that she was treating the "symptoms" and could guarantee that this was what was wrong with me. I have recently been suffering from reflux and was put onto Nexium 40gm for that, so am wondering if either of the meds might have something to do with it. To be very honest I am too scared to let myself get to the stage of orgasm now as I really don't want to experience the head pain and am a little nervous about heading down to the family GP as it is a rather sensitive issue and as much as I can confide this info anonymously to you lot, it is a bit different speaking directly to the doctor. Remember that women of my age don't have sex let alone orgasm!!!??? :o) This is what I think my children think anyway.
As far as I know I am healthy, other than being told by my dietitian that I need to lose about 10kg. Walk five days or workout for 40 to 45 mins in gym. Never smoked but enjoy a glass of wine most evenings before dinner. I was with my dad in hospital for 4 days before he finally passed away after he had a massive brain hemorrhage due to a secondary tumor found in the brain and can tell you I never want to go down that path.

Offline tabatha

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 06/05/2009 16:29:28 »
ah great, eventually allowed to read page 6 after a 24 hour cliffhanger of superhighway denial! have experienced 3 such headaches in the past 6 weeks, fortunately seem to be getting off much lighter than a lot of others here as they only start to build about 30 seconds before climax, once reached it is accompanied by an excruciating blast of pain which leaves me feeling asif  my brain just blew the upper right quadrant of my skull right off, the pain then gradually dissipates within about 5 minutes. The whole time the pain concentrates in the same spot between ear and back of the eyeball and doesnt affect the neck or lower skull area at all. The position of choice each time has been upright although not always the same. Needless to say the urge to let go has waned somewhat...my man here thinks his luck is in with all the extra treats coming his way recently  :P
Am interested in this theory that a bacterial infection could be the root, and for sure I have posture problems...2 slipped discs in the past year and a hefty tumble to boot!
Went to the doctor today, not my own...foreign land and all...because I had an unexplained mother of all rashes combined with weird facial pain that had no bruising no congestion and no obvious source. I suffer from many  allergies and always they display the same symptoms, itch runny nose then congestion  plus irritated eyes and itcy throat ..then ,dependent on the source, swollen oral tissue and hives on the face. This rash came along with none of these...not even the facial hives. There was no accompanying fever or headache just an immensely swollen hot rash that moved from one part of the body to another. I had taken an antihistamine naturally..it had no effect..the rash worsened over the next 12 hours. However the gp was determined it was an allergy. He said it was a sun allergy, he had seen much after the warm weekend. He wasnt interested in the fact that I hadnt left the house in 4 days let alone sat in the sun. Told me to go home and take another 2 antihistamines.
Oh, also he disregarded that fact that 6 weeks ago I returned from a 4 month stint in central america and mexico.  Naturally I was not inclined to any longer discuss my orgasm headaches with him and the possibility that I may have picked up some kind of bacterial infection whilst travelling that is triggering them.
Not sure what quite to do next.
Extra pointers..am a fairly healthy 37yrold with a great partner. About 10kilos overweight, currently zinc deficient and have undergone a fair amount of upheaval in the last 18months, have considered that excess stress and a desire for release maybe pushing my need to orgasm too far, making me try just too damn hard for it.
Will watch this space. Man its great to not be the only one, eh :)

Offline Mission

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 05/06/2009 20:02:16 »
Headaches associated with orgasm are fairly common. The medical diagnosis is coital cephalgia (headache). My doctor prescribed 10MG of amitriptyline which did the trick.

Of interest:

newbielink:http://www.womenshealth.org/a/sex_headaches_coital_cephalgia.htm [nonactive]
newbielink:http://www.drdaveanddee.com/headache.html [nonactive]
newbielink:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sex-headaches/DS00645 [nonactive]

Offline GtotheGrizzle

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 13/06/2009 00:37:51 »
This happen to me as well. I had my second headache yesterday and it was worst this time than before. The weird thing is it only happens when I'm having sex "doggy style or standing up". I notice while doing my thing, my neck starts hurting, getting stiff(I'm not talking about my penis lol) and then when I release my head starts throbbing and aching so bad like a migrane...I had to clutch my head for like 10mins, I couldn't open my eyes. I was thinking I had a aneurysm or something. It was hurting for like hours and now my neck is soar. I always had some sort of neck problems in the past, but nothing like this. It's time to break down and go see a physical therapist or a doctor. I'm only 28 and not willing to give up my sex life for this + t.m.i its my wife's favorite position lol.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 13/06/2009 00:40:13 »
Have you seen the most viewed thread on this forum? Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)

Offline erinker

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 30/06/2009 00:38:07 »
This is my first post.  I found this forum while doing an internet search on this very topic.

This very thing has been happening to me for the last month!  It hits right before orgasm and it quite literally feels like I am being stabbed in the head!  My blood pressure is normal-high and I have never had this kind of problem before.  I am hoping it goes away as quickly as it came because, like cruizin said, it really puts a damper on the sex drive.

Offline erinker

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 30/06/2009 00:43:20 »
<font face="Impact"></font id="Impact">In reguards to:

<i>can anyone who hqas experienced this try to describe your headache in a bit more detail. Especially WHERE in your head the pain seemed to be centered?</i>

Mine starts on the left front part of my head, and shoots all the way back to the base of my neck.  It will last anywhere from a few minutes to hours on end, and sometimes my eyes swell up.

And yes, I am female.

Offline papus

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 07/07/2009 06:11:10 »
I posted in Feb. about the headaches and I will say that since that short period that I was having the headaches, it did actually stop.  I never went to the doctor about it but it did stop.  I'm happy about that.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #149 on: 07/07/2009 06:11:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums