The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you ever had a Thunderclap Headache During Orgasm?  (Read 628622 times)

Offline zoec

• First timers
    • View Profile
Have you ever had a Thunderclap Headache During Orgasm?
« Reply #150 on: 30/09/2009 19:18:44 »
I am a 45 year old male. I think I found the solution and cure to orgasm headaches.

I started to first develop these during intense sexual experiences. When something new happens and you look for the reasons, usually it has something to do with what else has changed in your life. In my case the onset of this condition may have been caused by: weight loss (I have recently dropped 4kg (8.8 pounds)), anxiety and stress (working on a tough project).

My amateur view is that whilst these circumstances had an impact, the root cause of these headaches is a lack of oxygen in the brain, combined with a pressure build up in the lead-up to the orgasm.

Solution: During the sex act (either with a partner or by yourself) start deliberate, deep and regular breathing. Tell your partner before so that she (or he - not that there is anything wrong with that) does not freak out. This basically stopped these headaches.

This breathing is counter-intuitive at first. My tendency used to be to breathe less and build up pressure, perhaps because that leads to intense and explosive orgasms. I found however that the breathing technique prolongs the sex act and also leads to more controlled and longer orgasms. Rather than sharp and explosive, they are long, very pleasant and satisfying "releases". Your partner might appreciate that you don't have the urge to "bang" hard when you climax (unless she enjoys it in which case it may take some getting used to).

Hope this helps.

Offline miss-moon

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 18/10/2009 10:38:58 »
I'm guessing people will still be following this thread as it is - I can confirm as someone who has been experiencing this for just a week - such an alarming and seemingly common event.

I've been through most of the questions and searches in a short space of time that have been mentioned. I experienced the extreme head pain on the point of orgasm through masturbation, not long after getting off a longish flight. So naturally, I was thinking of blood pressure and suitably scared. The dull headache went on for most of the day, but more out of curiosity (and nature's helpfulness that means we forget quite quickly the actual experience of pain) I repeated the experience both the next day, and the next. Both times, having slightly less intense but still magnificently painful attacks, less significant in intensity yes, but certainly the second time, leaving me with a perpetual dull head that was debilitating.

You might ask why I would be so persistent when something had been so painful, but like others on here, I am in my early 40's, find myself with more sexual freedom, have learnt to experiment on my own and am relatively happy doing so. I have used a hand massager recently which provides external stimulation only, so all my orgasms are clitoral - and I'm wondering if there's a connection here... Again, like others, I feel like I'm only just at the beginning of my sexual discovery and often at orgasm think - although they're great - there is a lot of tension which doesn't completely get released. The potential of this being in some way connected to my experience seems quite high - the second and third time I experienced this pain, I stopped myself from climaxing. The pain in intensity was less, but the effects afterwards of dullness and acheyness following increased.

It's important I think reading through different people's posts, to identify if there is a connection with exertion. Mine are not. I did 3 sessions of moderate exercise during the week I was experiencing this and no pain.

It's vital to get checked out. I saw my GP, he was suitably concerned, said that even though it was a known sexually related phenomena, it also masked the symptoms of a brain bleed, so sent me for a CT scan. This was not particularly pleasant, mainly due to the UK health system which means masses of administration, being admitted to hospital as a routine, then the medic saw me to say my scan was clear. Asked me if it was so that my symptoms were activated on climax. When I said yes, he said well the obvious thing was just to avoid that then. I agreed, and said that's fine on a temporary basis but I'd persist to find out what caused it, and he said 'good luck'! Suggesting that once these things start they rarely go away. Well I'm not accepting that. But at least I am 95% certain that I have no alarming brain activity, have had my blood pressure checked etc. so I am free to experiment - if I have a good 24 hours of not doing anything afterwards to play with!

I have a history of postural difficulties for which I see a chiropractor. These vary, mine is excellent and come from an Australian practice - worth looking out for as their training seems to be different. He had seen me the day before I went away, so I went to him, didn't tell him immediately what had happened and asked him to check my posture. It was radically different. My neck had jutted forward and significantly to the left. (The head pain attack had begun at the base of my neck and spread up to the left, similar to lots of people on here). So I am now seeing him a bit more regularly to see if there is anything that can be resolved there.

I then went to see a friend who is a masseur. She reported severe knots in my upper back, right shoulder, left side of neck. I know she wasn't exaggerating, everything she touched in that region hurt like hell. It felt like every nerve ending around the base of my skull was a bruise and I became aware of how tense my shoulders were, like much worse than normal. So I'm trying to see here for another couple of times this week.

With the freedom of knowing I'm not about to die if I try, and seeing as it's Sunday and I can lounge in bed for a bit, I thought I would experiment with my hand massager. I put it on a lower setting and it was lovely, seemed like no problem. I watched my breathing cos I'm interested in that theory and am aware that my breathing is often too shallow and I'm in a rush maybe to get to the 'top'. So I slowed everything down. The pain began as i felt my clitoris really begin to swell and the first shudders work their way up my spine. But I breathed through it, told myself I was going to be okay. It spoilt it certainly, but I orgasmed and my head continued to pound unbelievably for about 5 minutes (I got off lightly so to speak). Interestingly though I was able to move about after about another 10, took myself off to get a couple of paracetamol (I have tried not to take them as I have taken so many this week, but thought 2 would be okay in return for a semi-satisfactory orgasm). All in all this is a drastic improvement and gives me a little hope for the future. 

One last connection/thread to something that has been said. About 1 week before this occurred I had had a cold. This is unusual for me and it appeared after the first of my longish flights. I had it for a couple of days only, but continued with nose bleeds through the week (this is not alarming in itself, I am a nosebleed sufferer, but still, always left nostril this time). Although I no longer have a cold, following each head attack I have been extremely nasal, just watery build up and an intensity on the bridge of my nose and in my left eye. There is a connection with the type of pain and what I remember from a long time ago as being sinus infection headache.

I am fascinated by the idea mentioned in a recent post of a connection between infection and this phenomena. I am thinking of investigating that further, along with continuing massage, chiropractic treatment and maybe more relaxation and breathing. Certainly the latter may help me in the long run with sexual enjoyment anyway, so when I'm feeling positive, I think it will all work out great. But this is a horribly alarming thing, scary, painful to the extreme and seems to hit everyone where it hurts, whether in long term, new or no relationships. How much undervalue does it place on us when a medical professional says 'it's not as if it has a major effect on your life', honest, that's what the medic said. I think everyone on here would disagree? But even if they respond in that way, the feeling you have when you know it's not a life threatening thing is absolutely crucial to how you go on to dealing with it so I just think to myself it's because he has no idea how it feels...

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
« Reply #152 on: 25/10/2009 17:11:17 »
Has anyone ever experienced a "thunderclap" headache right at the time of orgasm?   I've had this happen a couple of times, and it happens almost spontaneously.

It can happen if the partner's husband walks in the door at the crucial moment and thumps you round the head.

Offline Oneeyedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 20/11/2009 11:19:43 »
Well, I last posted in April 2008 and I've had a year or so of relative freedom from this appalling thing. I say 'relative' because there's been a sort of ongoing 'near-headache' buzz or tension a lot of the time and, yes, a few occasions when the headaches proper returned - but usually just one-offs. Now, since August this year (2009) I've been back in the pits. All orgasms - and there haven't been very many - have been accompanied by bad headaches, and frequently by abdominal pain - aches, cramping - as well.

The 'good period' ended in August with a bang: I ended up going to hospital in an ambulance after a particularly bad episode, both the headache and the abdo pain were maxed out, I was literally on my knees, I was convinced something had gone pop, either in my head or belly, or both. They gave me painkillers and hooked me up to an ECG, nothing showed up on it and when the pills had kicked in they kicked me out.

What have I done about it since then? Not a hell of a lot. I'm a lot poorer than a year or two ago, so the Pilates classes and the osteopath I was going to are out of the window now - and have been for a while, i.e. through most of the headache-free period. So all my previous ideas about a link with exercise and muscle stiffness seem a bit lame now; I kind of hate to say this, because we're all looking for solutions here, but I was having headache-free orgasms while my neck and shoulders were in no better state than they ever were, in fact I would say I was more worried about them during that period than I was about the orgasm headache problem.

I'm trying to find a receptive GP at the moment, and get back to the neurologist I saw a couple of years ago. The abdominal thing worries me; maybe the surgeons really have messed up something muscular down there (I've had 4 abdo ops - mainly hernia repairs) and it's having an effect on circulation or something during orgasm - or, more accurately, in the immediate run-up to orgasm. The thing is, it's practically impossible to take all tension out of orgasm. You can try to be as relaxed as anything, think sensual thoughts, but there always comes a moment when the sexual excitement really has to kick in - you can feel yourself tense up to a certain extent, it's an integral part of the pleasure, a necessary precursor. Maybe it's me, but I've always orgasmed that way, doesn't everyone?

I'm going to experiment with both hydration - I find I am frequently dehydrated but oddly lack a thirst reaction - and oxygenation as per zoec's post.

Offline Oneeyedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 08/12/2009 11:11:02 »
Zoec, I think you're really onto something. There have been a few posts on this thread that have mentioned breathing as a factor, but until recently I've not seen it as a significant factor in my own headaches. You've made me think again, and what I've been reading lately definitely backs you up - AND it is having good results. Wish I could buy you a lot of beers.

I've been trying to nail down what actually causes the pain of a headache - any headache, not just coital. And, as I'm sure we all know, you plunge into a mass of information on all kinds of head pain & migraine, it's enough to cause one. I wanted to isolate one particular issue: if sex headaches are a form of vascular headache - i.e. related to blood flow - is it vasodilation (blood vessels expanding) or vasoconstriction (blood vessels contracting) that causes the pain? Both are often mentioned on headache sites, and it's not easy to generalise, as many of the body's systems seem to involve feedback loops of various kinds, where one thing happening will set off a reaction to oppose it, which might overreact or underreact, etc. - and things aren't always the same for the brain as for the rest of the body. But, on the whole, it seemed to be the dilation of cerebral arteries that most people think causes the pain at the end of the chain of events, so I was looking for things that cause vasodilation. One of the simplest is CO2 - carbon dioxide, which we have a lot of, dissolved in our blood, as the main waste product of body cells, eventually exhaled from the lungs and replaced with oxygen.

Generally, then, if CO2 relaxes artery walls, and you're not breathing enough for some reason, your blood CO2 is higher, and your arteries are more relaxed. If you hyperventilate (overbreathe), blood CO2 content is lowered, arteries tighten - in the brain, this can eventually lead to hypoxia (not enough oxygen), which is why you feel dizzy, and may faint. The effect is strong enough to outweigh the effect of the extra oxygen in the blood from the overbreathing.

I've read that anaesthetists use the fact that lower levels of CO2 in the blood cause cerebral vasoconstriction - i.e. narrowed brain arteries - during brain surgery: they slightly hyperventilate the patient to decrease brain volume and blood flow, so the surgery isn't hampered by excessive bleeding. It's also used with brain injuries generally, to reduce intracranial pressure.

Could it be that, during sex or masturbation, if we're tensing up, deliberately inducing tension, including by unnoticed, intermittent breath-holding maybe, we're inadvertently putting our brain arteries into a more relaxed, floppy-walled state than normal? So when the big blood pressure spike arrives at orgasm - or seconds before it - the amount by which they expand might be greater - and it's the expansion, most headache experts seem to agree, that causes the pain.

Breathing deeply - I don't mean going mad and hyperventilating to the point of blackout! - might therefore help prevent this. I know this is pretty simplistic; trawling round the subject on the net shows that the various bodily mechanisms and hormonal events around orgasm are quite complex. But it seems to work!

It also helps explain why, whenever I orgasm through sex - even if it's sex that finishes with masturbation - I never get the really bad headaches: they vary between moderate and none at all. I reckon it's because, during sexual activity, I breathe more. I'm generally more physically active during sex (i.e. more than just lying on my back!) and as far as I can tell, I don't do as much of the tensing-up, low-breathing thing. Even if I end up masturbating myself to orgasm at the end, it doesn't take anywhere near as long as solo masturbation because I'm already well aroused, so the tensing-up is either shorter or I just don't do it; the stimulation is coming in other ways. In fact, I often let myself breathe quite hard because I've noticed it helps turn my partner on - and vice versa; it's sexy to see and hear the effect you're having on someone.

I suspect that, when masturbating, I haven't noticed my tendency to under-breathe, even during a 'normal' orgasm (i.e. no headache), possibly because I'm breathing hard afterwards, to compensate, as I wind down. And I'm asthmatic, I don't suppose that helps. And when I get a bad headache, well, noticing anything except the pain goes out the window.

Now, this is going to be a personal thing: generally speaking, I over-tense during masturbation but not so much during sex. Someone else might tense during sex, or it might be position-related, or it might be a compensation for a position or technique that isn't 'working', i.e. isn't stimulating enough. I don't want to be rude or crude, but ever had a really rubbish handjob? Ever had to use your imagination - and physically tense up - a lot to sort of bring YOURSELF off, to make up for the lack of effective stimulation from your partner?

In other words, maybe we need to discover our own personal patterns of tension and breathing during sex and masturbation. It's amazingly easy to be totally unaware of what we're doing, we're often following established 'pathways' to arousal and orgasm.

Anyway, I've been trying deep breathing during arousal; out of 4 'experiments' - only 1 of which was actual sex - I've had mixed results: no headache on 1 occasion, moderate (2 out of 5 on my personal pain score) on 2 occasions, including sex, and a 3 out of 5. But on all these occasions, the onset of the headache has been delayed for around 5 seconds, and it's a lot less sudden, i.e. the pain, when it comes, doesn't crash in, it sort of ramps up. Now that is very welcome to me! It means I can actually enjoy the orgasm, even if I know some level of headache is coming soon. The prospect of pleasure has done a lot to lift the gloom and lack of interest in sex - which has sometimes seemed impenetrable, as I'm sure you will appreciate.

So, follow zoec and try to breathe more! It's kind of weird if you're not used to it. And I've noticed it sometimes seems to affect my erection a little bit during masturbation - but I just have to combat that with better imagination.

Offline Neelahn

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 02/02/2010 09:58:09 »
Hi. I'm 18 and a girl. =) This just happened to me for the first time around 2pm yestarday.
It was one of those that are sudden and happen the second the orgasm starts. My entire head was pounding and I had to put pressure on my temples just to get to the bed. (lol) I immediatly went to sleep and I slept for about 12 hours. I woke up about 2 hours ago and the pain receeded to a dull roar, but it's still there, in the back of my head, on the left side. It wraps from the middle of my head down around the bottom to my jaw.

I've been looking up all kinds of things on the internet, trying to figure out what's wrong with me. (That's how I found this site.) I keep getting mixed messages. Some say that it's nothing serious and others say I should go get an MRI. I can't afford to go to the doctor and I'm leaving for Basic Training for the ARMY next month. If there is something wrong with me then, I can't go and basically my entire life plan has to change. Does anybody have any advise other than go to the doctor?

Offline KrisB

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 03/03/2010 23:32:00 »
I have also experienced this. It was so bad that I went to the clinic, they sent me directly to the hospital to ensure that I did not have a bleed in my brain or an aneurysm. The suggestion that seemed to help solve the problem is deep breathing exercises and try not to tense up the shoulder and neck muscles during orgasm. Also keeping the bedroom (or whatever room you happen to be using) on the cooler side and taking a two week or so break from orgasms and taking a couple of Ibuprofen about an hour before sex may help to prevent this from happening. My doctor also gave me migraine meds to take immediately afterward to prevent the resulting migraine.
Good luck and happy headache! :)

Offline Gragery40

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 05/03/2010 16:23:07 »
Headache is really major problem,your views can be very helpful.Thanks.

Offline heinz4084

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 06/03/2010 15:28:14 »
Masturbation makes you feel headache. Masturbate also makes your brain become dull. I suggest you to drink 2 cups of green tea after masturbate. Green tea will remove the headache. The headache caused by masturbation is different from the usual headache that you got when you have fever. After masturbate (with semen coming out) the headache felt inside the skull. If there is climax ejaculation with climax semen is coming out from your sexual organ, you will get headache. If little semen or no semen is coming out, you will get no headache. I found that green tea to cure the headache by coincidence. I have suffered from masturbation headache more than a decade. Here is my story how I meet the green tea. One day I went to other country as a tourist and stayed in a 5 star hotel. It was the first time I stayed in a 5 star hotel. In the hotel I found green tea. I am not familiar with its taste. After going home from holiday I bought the same green tea. I masturbate as usual many times in a week and I drank the tea. After drinking I found that my headache diminished with one cup and vanish after the second cup. I was a bit surprised. First I thought it was coincidence but every time I drink the green tea after masturbate I found that my headache diminished or prevented before it obviously felt.

Here I give you the link about the green tea that I usually drink. It is OSK Japanese green tea. I recommend you to drink high quality Japanese green tea like this one because I am not sure about other low grade green tea. I masturbate thousands times from my childhood and I have suffered from headache more than 10 year before I found green tea. Thank to god who makes me meet the green tea by coincidence.

Believe my story. Try the green tea if you feel headache, tiredness, dreamless sleep, dehydration-like fatigue (actually it is not dehydration but you might feel like dehydrated after masturbate for a long period of time e.g. after months or years, even if you drink many cups of plain water wonít cure). Green tea helps the above problems but it does not cure erectile dysfunction.

Tips for preparing the OSK Japanese green tea to maximize its benefits.
(1)   Boil the tap water
(2)   Put the tea bag inside the cup (a cup which is medium or big size)
(3)   Pour the hot water into the cup. It is better that the hot water hit tea bag while you pour it.
(4)   Use a spoon. Stir it left to right or right to left. Left to right and back to left is counted as one time. After that from left again move to right and move back to left is counted as 2 times. Stir at least 160 times or more or 200 times until it is deep green.
(5)   Drink it while it is still hot or warm. Finish it while it is still warm. After masturbate I donít recommend you to drink it if it is already cool.
(6)   Make the second cup and prepare it as instructed above and drink it while it is still hot or warm.

My email is heinz4084@gmail.com

The link below is not my blog. It shows the pictures of the OSK Japanese green tea
newbielink:http://myyummycruise.blogspot.com/2007/07/japanese-green-tea.html [nonactive]

Offline xlr8r

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 16/04/2010 05:34:22 »
Hi all, 31 male here.  Experienced this headache for the first time about 4 days ago.  The first time it happened I was very concerned as I thought I was having an aneurysm.  This is a serious problem for me as my dad passed away suddenly from either an aneurysm or heart attack (we didn't do an autopsy, but doctor said it looked more like an aneurysm) when I was 17.  Have a family history of high blood pressure, yet mine is relatively normal (on the higher side of normal, but normal none the less).   

I've restrained from masturbation and haven't really done any major physical activities.  Today I tried masturbating again and thought everything was fine, but the pain was soon there again.  After finding this site and reading through the pages and pages and pages of posts I've started to see a common link between neck/jaw/back injuries.  About a month ago I went to the dentist after waking up with intense pain in my jaw and my jaw actually misaligning itself (dunno how it happened and the doc was perplexed).  After some antibiotics and a few days later my jaw was back to normal. 

A couple weeks ago, I was working and happened to throw my back out.  This is normal and usually occurs once a year.  After a few days I'm back to normal.  After having done the whole "Wii Fit" thing, I learned that I actually have really poor posture.  It should also be worth noting that the oak pollen has been extremely bad this year and while I don't have any "noticeable" symptoms, I still could be suffering from allergies. 

I've been wanting to get a scan done but I honestly just don't have the money for it right now (i do contractual labor and have no insurance).  Though I have a feeling it is something along the lines of neck/jaw issues.  Just thought I would share my experience and thank the other users for sharing theirs.  While I'm still concerned, I'm not freaking out AS much as I've had some jaw/neck/back issues recently (not to mention lots of stress in my life lately).  Going to go about seeing a chiropractor and getting some posture improving shoes and see if this helps, all the while saving up for a scan. 

Will try and repost any updates!   

Offline pamica

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 26/04/2010 17:56:03 »
I have been experiencing headaes exactly as you describe--now 4 times.  Thunderclap lasts about an hour or two followed by migraine lasting 5-6 days.  CT scan clear.  What have you done for this?

Offline alchemyster

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 11/05/2010 22:15:09 »
Hello All.  I've read through most of these links, and I thought I'd share a few things.  I am currently in this "thunderclap" state.  As soon as I get fairly close to an ejaculation (I'm a 48 year old male), KABOOM!!  The pressure and throbbing at the back of my lower head, at the top of the spine, is very close to unbearable. worst headache I've ever had, by far.  Painful!! Worst time for this, too, as, well, you know how great an orgasm is!  Man, I feel at times that this is the Big Guys way of stopping sexual encounters. Seriously it makes the thought of sex scary. And it happens upon getting close, you do not have to actually "fire your gun", so to say.

This is the third time in my life that I have had this cephalorgasmic(coital) cephalalgia.  The good news is, for me, it only lasts about one week.  Then things all return to normal, and I can enjoy sex again.  It will go away for most of you!!  It had been around 6 years since my last episode.  Lasted one week, then had 6 years of pain-free orgasms.  I'm on day three now, and tried to "enlarge" myself, ...... big mistake.

I am very glad to read about the breathing part, as I do hold my breath when nearing climax, and that is precisely when the pain begins.  And yes, I do fall into the injury category.  On my 40th birthday, I had two bicycle wrecks, and in my late 20's had been thrown from a Jeep, landing on my head and making my neck sore for quite a while.  Can't wait for this thing to go away!!

Offline alchemyster

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 24/05/2010 18:18:30 »
Back again with some updates. As of day 9, decided to see if this problem was still present, after abstaining for the past week, and ........it still resulted in a migraine. Though not quite as intense, but very bad still.  Intense pain did subside after a ten minutes.  Waited 4 more days, and BINGO! I experienced absolutely no headache!!!!!!!!  So this lasted for a full two weeks, hopefully gone for good.

Offline ZeusThunder

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 26/09/2010 07:21:17 »
So to be clear, possible causes for the benign thunderclap pain (clear CT, lumbar, MRI, MRA):

High blood pressure
Sinus/tooth/ear bacterial infection
Hormonal imbalance
Anti-depressant interaction
Overweight/diabetes
Stress/tension
Pinched nerves connecting brain to spinal cord

Did I list them all? Trying to eliminate obvious ones.

My first attack was simultaneous with orgasm at elevated altitude. Second was three days later, one hour after receiving a flu shot and 30 min after taking Relpax (no sex or exertion). I am living in mortal terror of the next one....still suffering from lingering pain three days later.

Thank you to all serious posters for your info, especially oneeyedguy and the other suggestion about bacterial toxins. I have low blood pressure, no history of migraines, but chronic sinus infections. Please help!

Offline flp

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 05/10/2010 04:52:51 »
I posted some time back about bacterial infection or inflammation in the head causing this problem. Almost 2 years ago, wow, time flies!

I am pretty sure my theory is correct. But I think the focus should be on inflammation rather than on an infection, although an infection can also be a possible cause.

I have not tried using antibiotics to clear up infections/inflammation in the head. But I don't have the problem any more. After starting to get these headaches, I stopped having sex for a long time, until recently, when I found that I didn't get them during sex.

I used to have a longstanding large abscess in my upper jaw behind my teeth which I had for several years. I also used to have several sebaceous cysts on my back, one of which was about 3cm wide and 1cm high (huge!), and which would regularly get inflamed, and I had had these cysts for several years, during the same period of time I had the jaw abscess.

Since earlier this year, I have started on a mostly organic food regimen, or rather, a regimen of avoiding as much GMO foods as possible. Unfortunately, it is practically impossible to absolutely avoid GMO foods.

The abscess in my jaw cleared up completely. And to think I had been suffering with inflammation, pain, swelling, pus oozing and bad breath for so many years! Now, all gone. The large abscess on my back burst and, after draining its contents, healed nicely, without any sebum filling it up again, which is what would always happen to my sebaceous cysts no matter how often I squeeze out the fat.

Occasionally now, my old jaw abscess would swell up for a few days. That is usually whenever I have eaten out and had probably taken some GMO food unintentionally. And, every time, after several days of cooking at home and eating in, the abscess goes down to zero. My abscess has become a gauge of sorts, swelling up the next day whenever I happen to take any GMO food.

So, my cure, I am sure, was going on the non-GMO foods regimen.

There have been no proper studies on the long-term effects of GMO foods on human health. Whereas, only the short-term effects on laboratory animals of consumption of GMO foods have been observed, and most of these effects are not nice at all, some downright nasty, but these results have reportedly either been altered or suppressed. The US FDA has approved and sanctioned masses of GMO foods and GMO food derivatives, allowing them to be introduced into the food chain. GMOs, both the crops and their derivatives and the foods they are made into, are exported throughout the world and can be found in every country. We are eating large amounts of such foods every single day.

Going on a non-GMO diet is very, very hard. Almost everything in the supermarket, including some fresh produce, contain GMOs.

Ever since the 1990s, over 80% of our foods contain GMOs. Also, ever since then, there has been a persistent epidemic of all sorts of chronic health problems.

There are many stories of personal experiences, which you can find on the Internet, of the effects of consumption of GMO foods. Here is just one victim's story: newbielink:http://aspartame.ca/page_a9br1.html [nonactive]. The main website has a lot of info on Aspartame and GMOs. I have had other bad health problems too, which stopped after I stopped taking another GM food, but I won't go into detail here.

What could be the possible connection between consumption of GMO foods and coital cephalgia? Inflammation.

It is believed that GMO foods sets up an allergic reaction in the body of a constant inflammation state at the cellular level. Since this abnormal inflammation is so pervasive, the body probably cannot deal with it efficiently, or perhaps cannot use substances which it does not recognise. The liver and kidneys are either unable to process these substances, or they cannot cope with the inflammation. Instead, these substances accumulate in the body and/or cause a reaction, creating all kinds of chronic health problems, such as pockets of inflammation. If you have inflammation in the head, then you may get the coital cephalgia.

Nano-particles, e.g., have been found to accumulate in the liver and kidneys in large amounts, indicating that these waste processing organs had attempted to process the nano-particles but were unsuccessful. And, yes, we are already also ingesting/absorbing nano-particles through mass-produced consumer products. Many sunscreens and cosmetics contain them.

What you can try: Avoid GMO foods. If you can avoid the Big 4 GMOs, you will be able to cut out about 90% of these foods from your diet. The Big 4 are Corn, Soy, Canola and Cottonseed. Alert: each of these or their derivatives can be disguised as other names in ingredient lists, with their source almost always never stated.

For starters, cut out Aspartame. No Diet Coke/Pepsi/sodas, or any kind of diet drink or diet food, or anything that says low-sugar or sugar-free or sugarless (e.g., almost all breath mints contain Aspartame and/or Acesulflame). No artificial sweeteners of any kind (Equal, Nutrasweet, Splenda, Sucralose, Sweet N Low, etc). Aspartame can cause diabetes. Try laying off Aspartame and all artificial sugars (another one is saccharin) for a few days and see if you still get the headaches.

No spreads, such as jams or peanut butter (make your own). No soft drinks or cordials or sweet drinks of any kind (talking about manufactured drinks). No foods containing high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, golden syrup, liquid sugar, fruit sugar, fructose, glucose, sucrose, dextrose, maltose, maltodextrin, maltitol, sorbitol, xylitol, and many more sweeteners (they change/disguise the names all the time). No foods made from or containing phenylalanine (many candies and even vitamins contain this). No ascorbic acid, a Vitamin C manufactured from starch. Almost all of these are made from GM corn. In fact, no foods made from or containing any form of corn or corn derivatives. Another name used on labels for corn is maize.

No reconstituted or filled milk or 'fortified' milk. No foods made from or containing soy oil or vegetable oil or containing soy derivatives, such as lecithin. No foods containing vegetable or soy or hydrolysed protein, among other names.

No margarine or soft butter or dairy spread. No non-dairy creamer in any form (made from Canola oil). No Canola oil or any food made from or containing it.

No Cottonseed oil or any food made from or containing it.

No MSG or any foods containing it.

If in doubt about the source of some of the ingredients on packages, the safest is to not buy the product.

Consume foods which are as close as possible to its whole form or as found in nature.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: 06/10/2010 07:07:34 by flp »

Offline weebles

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 19/10/2010 16:55:19 »
Hi all,

I just had my first thunderclap headache with orgasm, and definately see from this blog that there are overlapping antecedents to the migraine to what I experienced. What we need to consider are medications we are taking, other symptoms present prior to migraine, and understand that migraines are often, if not typically a result of sudden vascular dilation.  Here is my experience:

- I have had a mild sinus headache and symptoms of a cold for 2 days, and have been taking OTC sinus medication.
- I am also on an SSRI antidepressant that is known to increase difficulty of achieving orgasm in men and women (not ED, but difficulty climaxing). Thus, I have had to "work harder" than usual to achieve orgasm regardless of the circumstance
- I had 3 cups of coffee this morning (caffeine is a vaso-constrictor that may want to consider as a factor that could enhance the vasodilation that occurs during orgasm
- This morning, my wife and I were in a rush but started making love. It was taking awhile to climax...  I had to work exceptionally (mentally and physically) to climax
- I experienced a massive headache immediately before and during orgasm
- I ate 2 aspirin, used cold compress, then took hot shower to open sinuses.  1 hour later, I still have a mild headache and some nausea

From my experience and from your postings some of the common themes are: sinus issues, rushing/working harder than usual to climax

Other factors to consider:  caffeine consumption prior to sex; OTC sinus medication ingredients; SSRI antidepressant medication

hope this helps
When

Offline Oneeyedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 07/11/2010 21:34:07 »
Update on my headaches since last post (Nov 2009). At that time I was concentrating on breathing techniques, and they have definitely helped, though the 'success rate' - i.e. relatively headache-free orgasms - has been patchy. I've been frustrated at the lack of consistency of any of my 'counter-measures'.

Then I read this: newbielink:http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2010/bcr.10.2009.2359.abstract [nonactive]

This is just a summary of a full medical report that you'd have to pay about £30 for, and I haven't. But the basic story seems clear: a guy who suffered from orgasm headaches for years on end cured them by making love to his wife while she was pregnant, thereby exposing himself to the considerable amounts of progesterone women produce during that period (8-10 times higher than normal cycle). His doctor prescribed progestogen medication to continue after the birth.

I had already done some reading on the role of hormones, without coming to any hard conclusions (I'm pretty scientifically literate I think, but some of this stuff is full-on). There's quite a lot of material on the web about the link between oestrogen and headaches, e.g. newbielink:http://premenstrualmigraineprevent.com/ [nonactive]

And there's a fair amount on 'oestrogen syndrome', a condition where the balance of progesterone and oestrogen in both men and women (both sexes have both hormones) is upset by the presence of xenoestrogens and phytoestrogens, i.e. potentially harmful chemical and plant-based compounds that have oestrogen-like effects, such as insecticides and herbicides used in agriculture, PCBs, preservatives, plasticizers, parabens, detergents. Both men and women can end up overloaded with oestrogens. Women are the obvious candidates for major falls in hormone levels, during menopause, but men's levels of progesterone - which is necessary for the production of testosterone - fall in middle age too. Not as drastically, but it is implicated in prostate enlargement among other things. One solution offered is natural progesterone cream.

Well, cut a long story short, I decided to try it. I ended up here -  newbielink:http://www.progesterone.co.uk/menandprogeserone.htm [nonactive] - which makes for interesting reading, and I've been using it for about 2 months now, and I haven't had a bad headache with orgasm since then. I'm not claiming a cure, nowhere near. The feeling of tension and 'near-headache' I've been having more or less constantly lately is still there. I still feel I need serious ongoing massage to neck and shoulders (can't afford it though, in London you're talking £40 a session for any serious masage), and once or twice I've had a minor intensification of this dull buzz after orgasm. But no headbusters or anything near.

2 months isn't long - I've had a period of natural remission that was longer than that, and in any case we're not talking very many orgasms in total, maybe 1 every 5/6 days, say 10-12 (God, did I ever think I'd be posting my orgasm frequency on the web?!) - but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm in no way recommending the use of the cream - that's a personal decision for everyone, in a way it's practically HRT for men; I'm just relating my experiences. There are several websites promoting progesterone cream for men; many of them seem genuine to me. There seems to be a general opinion that yam extract isn't as good as the 'natural' progesterone creams but on the other hand all these products seem to be plant-based (I guess the only truly natural progesterone is produced in the body) which is why I've used inverted commas.

There's no denying that this isn't accepted mainstream medical treatment but in my opinion it's not utter quackery either. I think the effects of hormones on our health in general, especially male health, are poorly understood, certainly by most men. We usually attribute 'hormonal' behaviours and symptoms to the opposite sex, but I've often had a sneaking suspicion that men aren't as constant in this respect as we'd like to think - and if the environmental oestrogens are as powerful as some say, then it's perhaps no surprise that more and more men are exhibiting symptoms of an excess of feminizing hormones - fat retention, 'manboobs' (gynecomastia) - and headaches. I don't imagine xenoestrogens cause orgasm headaches all by themselves, but I think headaches/migraines may result from a build-up of factors which, when they 'overflow', lead to illness.

One more thing: since reading about oestrogens, and various chemicals that mimic oestrogen, I've been thinking about what I use. And I have to admit that both baby oil and Vaseline have played a big part in my sex life - well, my solo sex life, certainly. I've used them as lubricants and because they just felt sexy! But maybe rubbing these substances into my cock several times a week hasn't exactly helped? I've certainly stopped now.

Does the progesterone really work? Are these creams just placebos? I don't know. But I've noticed a marked shortening of my temper, increased feelings of anger and competitiveness since using the cream - I've had to be a bit careful not to snap at people! If it is getting into my system - and the websites agree that via the skin is by far the best way (oral ingestion would lead to most of the dose being filtered out by the liver) - then an increase in testosterone would be expected. I've had no other signs, no increase in libido - but then that's a very fraught area since the headaches began.

Anyway, I'm still breathing! And now, rubbing in the cream once a day. I hope it works, I'm not ready to surrender sex and the whole erotic side of life just yet. I'll try to update sooner than 11 months' time...

Offline horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 22/11/2010 16:08:50 »
Some of you may want to look for the POIS (post orgasm illness syndrome) thread
in the "new theories" section on this forum.

Offline Hugh888

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 02/12/2010 06:33:14 »
First, don't give up. Many of these headaches simply go away in time. And even if they don't, there are various ways to deal with them.

Talk to your doctor and discuss your family history. Often, you'll find that a history of migraine may give you a clue about the cause.

Offline marynancy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 23/02/2011 19:39:51 »
Re blinding, searing headaches alongside arousal/orgasm. I know I won't care much when I'm dead, but what an embarrassing sort of mess for someone to find when they come home from work.(Stroking out, batteries dead, me too) Can't help but wonder what the relationship is within the vascular system that leaves me feeling as though someone has taken my brain out of its safe casing and tossed it into a flaming wok. Getting so that the 15 second orgasm is not worth the three hour headache.

Offline Bobbel Head

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 16/03/2011 11:23:57 »
I started getting these about 4 years ago. I curl up in a ball and hold my head. Freaked my girl out the first time it happened. I thought my head was exploded. I only get them after drinking a little too much the night before. Kind of during the hangover headache. I feel it start to build as I get ready to ejaculate. if I feel it coming on. I stop and just have a dull ache.
Im glad I found this page to know other have had it also. I dont get them less I had been drinking. I was wondering if anyone else here have the same circumstances?

Offline Bobbel Head

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 16/03/2011 11:30:56 »
I just found this on Wikipedia, what a blessing!

Coital cephalalgia

Offline Incognito

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 07/06/2011 18:22:42 »
   First of all I want to thank all of you for your insight on this most concerning topic.

I did not realize reading through the first four of five pages that the majority of you were women? Suffice it to say that revelation actually turned me on. However, in light of my very new headache issue I'm not nearly as thrilled about that as I would have been a week ago. lol

I am a healthy, fit and sexually active 44 year old male. About a week ago, for the very first time, I suffered the dreaded "back of the head" headache during masturbation. It happened just before ejaculation and was as severe as any headache I have EVER experienced. Frankly, it scared the hell out of me. Next day, the very same story. I have not seen a DR. as has been advised by some of you as of yet. I may very well do so if this continues on for very long. I also have not told my wife about this episode. She is not as sexual as I am so I am hoping to "cure" the problem before intercourse will take place. I can satisfy her other ways and avoid intercourse for the time being.

Again, you guys have described my problems to a tee here and I FEEL MUCH BETTER about it now than I did this morning..  It has really consumed my thoughts the last few days. 

I believe the term Coital Cephalagia is how it is mostly described throughout the internet?. I hope it goes away on its own as many of you have said it may...  I will keep you updated. Thanks to all for sharing as I know how personal this is.   

« Last Edit: 07/06/2011 19:24:19 by Incognito »

Offline Oneeyedguy

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 29/06/2011 14:19:28 »
Update since last November: I've been continuing with the progesterone cream but if I'm honest I'm using it only about once or twice a week. I'm still doing the deep breathing leading up to orgasm. Two new things: I'm now getting proper massages - and finding out just how inflexible and unfit I've become this last ten years or so! - and I'm deliberately leaving it longer between orgasms. This seems to help quite a bit.

I've read a lot around this subject - I'm guessing we all have - and there's a fair bit of stuff out there talking about the enervating effects of ejaculation. I must admit, I've largely ignored it, mainly because it's not what I want to hear. These bloody headaches are ruining my orgasms, the last thing I want to read about is how orgasms are somehow 'bad' for you anyway. But spacing things out does appear to work. I'm talking sort of 2-3 week gaps here, whereas previously it was 2-3 days. Still a far cry from teenage years, when it was 2-3 hours some days... But, not to put too fine a point on it, spacing 'em out means a better experience all round: better erection, more arousal, more satisfying orgasm - and, crucially, less head pain.

It might all be down to the effects of the massage on my appalling posture (forward head posture, upper crossed syndrome, whatever, I'm so round-shouldered it's untrue & this makes my neck ache) - or the progesterone - but I don't think so. Oddly, what seems to work best is to aim for a longer, more drawn-out experience during sex, not worrying particularly about erection coming and going, concentrating on my partner much more gives a really satisfying 'return', i.e. turning her on turns me on. And during masturbation, the opposite: aim for a short experience. Get aroused quickly, bring it to a quick conclusion, sort of not giving the headache much chance to build. And you can't do that if you're doing it too often. It can end up being 'hard work' - and that's maybe a big part of the problem? I dunno - it's a bit paradoxical, but I'm just reporting what works at the moment.

Overall, I'm having more good orgasms than bad, roughly 2 to 1. By 'good' I don't mean always pain-free, but some of them definitely are absolutely pain-free. Others are still accompanied by the general background 'buzz' of borderline headache, which sometimes intensifies a bit at orgasm - or, more usually, thanks to the breathing, some seconds afterwards. And then there are the proper headaches - still delayed, mostly - which make me think I'm making no progress whatever. But I am; it's patchy and frustrating and sometimes seems to follow a pattern and sometimes not, but I am enjoying sexual activity more often than not.

So I'm carrying on with the massage - and plenty of exercise - with a bit of optimism. Best of luck to everyone; never give up.

Offline Mr. Data

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 29/06/2011 15:12:42 »
Do you even know what causes your headaches? Sure it may appear when having sex, but like all of us, headaches are caused by blood rushing to the head.

Out of curiosity, are you using Viagra?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #174 on: 29/06/2011 15:12:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums